17.

Raizon

For the remaining of our dinner, I quietly ate beside her as she spoke with Stephen animatedly of the upcoming wedding. That just placed more pressure on me to find a subtle way to deal with Monroe. Giving up the information we have against him over the years and the new identities of the females he assaulted wasn't an option. Father and I worked hard to keep those girls we were lucky to find, safe. We've contemplated in involving the authorities but just like us, he had friends in high places. Getting our lawyers to tie him up in charges will be a waste of money and time. It's a start but as I said before he had friends in high places.

How can one man be so fucking frustrating?

It pisses me off that he has gotten so close on the previous attempts on Arianna and Stephen's lives. The jewelers, the hospital even the on route ambush. He turned the younger guys under my ruling, leaving me wary of the seasoned men left.

I had to do something.

"Ray?" Her voice called me out of my dark musings. The low melodic tone was like a balm to my stressful thoughts.

"Yes Kitten?"

"Aren't you hungry?"

I frowned at her question then looked down at my plate. Some of the asparagus and potatoes were eaten and piece of the duck also. The fork was hovered above the plate and I found myself frozen in one position.

"I'm sorry. A lot is on my mind. Apologies for ruining your first dinner but I have a lot of work to do. Stephen will show you around the house after dinner. Terribly sorry baby," I said rising from my seat beside her.

"It's okay. Don't stress too much," was her response. I paused in gathering my dinner plate. That was an odd thing to say from my experience via my father, it was taboo to put work ahead of family dinner. I witnessed how Giselle will get upset when father left to complete work, now, here was my kitten basically telling me to take it easy.

"I won't. Thank you Kitten," I returned giving her a soft kiss on her head then lips. I loved kissing her lips and her beautiful skin. Her dark eyes will shine whenever I do and it will always be with a smile. I've taken a liking to touching and holding her all the time. Things I've never thought of doing with a woman, I ache to experience it all with Arianna.

Taking another glance at her smiling face, I left the two friends to settle thing across the state and wherever Monroe decided he wanted to play God.

Two hours into securing each hotel and restaurant weekly expenses and checking their profits, I took a deep breath before tackling a few overseas shipment for recreational drugs. One of my commanders notified me of persons wanting to cut a deal, to sell on my turf, sounds like an arrogant kid after hearing the voice message. I had enough on my plate to involve someone new much less to seel their shit on my space.

A knock on my office door gave me a momentary break from words and numbers. Glancing at the camera, I quickly unlocked the door and rounded my desk. "Is everything alright?" I asked eyeing her body and movements.

"Yes. Everything is fine. I'm okay. I brought you coffee and macarons." Her brown skin seem to glow even more with the soft lights around her and her eyes so full of trust for me that I was lost for a moment.

That's when I noticed the coffee mug and the small plate of colorful macarons. It was moment I will never forget. Her small gesture hit my heart good, usually I either trudge to the kitchen for something to snack on or just work through the night and go to bed hungry. It was nice being thought of. Taking her two offerings, I allowed her in and closed the door firmly with my foot. The atmosphere in my office changed. The coldness and dark thoughts I was used to disappeared immediately, warmth and calm replaced it all as she stepped in once again. I watched on as she gave herself a tour of my domain while I took a sip of the coffee and placed the desserts on my desk. Her fingers traced each surface, her eyes curiously took in each picture on the wall, degrees I obtained and businesses I had in my name."D-do you like the house?" I asked with a slight stutter. Rolling my eyes at my audible mess up, I slowly made my way to her.