41.

Chantal

Making my way home has never been so nerve-racking. The newfound confidence I gained after speaking to Arianna and listening to her explanation of the friendship between the four, calmed me extensively. I allowed myself to think of letting go of my doubts and let Michael in fully. In the office during a business talk with Arianna, I saw the perfect example of carefree love when Mr. Delacourde called her. I was lucky to see how she became relaxed and giddy, answering her phone like a teenager in love, the way how her emotions played across her face with a permanent smile on her lips throughout the entire conversation and how honest she spoke with him. 

I wanted that. Don't I deserve that also? After years of Mr. Wrongs, I want my Mr. Right, and that one man is Michael. He never once disrespected me, he honored my requests, put my feelings into consideration and adopted my little family as his own. Everything Michael did was the opposite of my past exes,  my fears allowed me to question his actions towards me. I have to apologize, hoping he will accept me after the hurt I put him through. 

Turning onto my street, I saw his SUV at the curb, leaving the driveway clear for me to park. Another gesture, though simple, he did it for me. Consideration and protectiveness. Sitting in my car, I took a few deep cleansing breaths, thinking of the words to say to him. It made me think of how long I can hold out to get the words out when his intense blue eyes always settle on me, never wavering. The man can make me weak in the knees in less than 0.2 seconds. "You can do this. Go get your man," I said to myself before leaving the confines of my car. Walking along the stoned walkway towards the door, the scent of freshly cut grass met my nose, frowning I remembered putting the chore of mowing the lawn on the list but that was to be done tomorrow. Under the house lights, I can see the neatly trimmed lawn, cleverly cut hedges and my mother's flower garden that was lovingly tended to.

 Did he...?

But he had the outing with Chase.

Unlocking the door, I walked easily towards the living room where the most noise was coming from. An action movie was playing but the two movie watchers were dead to the world. My heart clenched at the sight, Michael was slouched in the corner of the sofa with Chase tucked under his arm, his head on Michael's chest sleeping heavily. Chase was dressed in his PJ and Michael donned a pair of sweat pants and T-shirt, snacks were on the coffee table, Ps4 games I've never seen before were scattered on the floor near two new controllers. Their phones now had matching cases and were next to the bowl of chips, empty water bottles were on the floor adding to the beautiful mess the two made.

What the hell was I about to do? Not only was I about to break my own heart but my son's heart too. He loved and adored Michael so much. My mother. She saw him as her own always doting and fussing about his health and appearance. My stupid fear was about to ruin my family's happiness. I can't let that happen. Placing my bags on the armchair, I leaned over and placed a lingering kiss on Michael's lips. It didn't take long for him to respond. A groan escaped him before his hand blindly cupped the back of my neck, keeping me in place to deepen our kiss. "Welcome home," he whispered against my lips before easing back against the soft cushions. 

"Thank you."

I loved the way the word home sounded on his lips. "Our evening lasted longer than it should. Sorry about the mess, we fell asleep during Venom," he said sleepily.

"It's alright. Here, let me take him to bed," I offered, reaching for my son.

"Go take a warm shower. I'll put him to bed. I got dinner in the oven for you."

How can I refuse that offer? I've never had anyone take care of me by simple pleasures nor help with my son. I didn't know I was staring at Michael until my son's sleepy voice broke through my little epiphany. "Night mom. How was work?" he asked over a yawn. Michael was actually holding him like a toddler, long arms and legs were wrapped around his torso with that messy blonde head resting comfortably on his shoulder.