Chapter Thirteen

(Isabella's POV)

Today was the day. Today was the day that Nikolay was going to have a meeting with my father.

This wasn't going to end well. I knew it wasn't but it was out of my hands.

"Everything alright?" Aleksei asked as I played with my breakfast instead of eating it.

"Yeah, everything is fine." I lied.

"Your parents went out to the market. They should be back soon."

"Okay. Thanks. I think I'm just gone go read a book."

I washed off my plate and put it in the dishwasher before venturing off to the library. Aleksei was right behind me.

He'd been following me extra close these past weeks but it's gotten worse the past few days. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me sneaking out and away from him when I'm supposed to be at home. If my grandpa finds out that he keeps losing me then he fight get fired....or worse.

"You don't have to follow me everywhere," I said. "Caesar does that just fine."

"It's my job."

"Right."

I grabbed a random book from the shelf and sat on the small couch. Caesar jumped up and laid down beside me as Aleksei took his position by the door.

It was a few chapters in when Maxim walked in.

"Figured I'd find you here." He said.

"What can I do for you?" I asked sweetly.

He briefly glanced at Aleksei before leaning in close.

"Today's the day."

"I know."

"You how this could go."

"Yep. I'm prepared for the worst."

He then slipped a small piece of paper into my hand. It had an address and time on it.

"No need for me to issue caution, is there?"

I shook my head. "No."

"Good."

Once he left, I could feel Aleksei's eyes on me. He knew something was up but he didn't know what. That bothered him.

I had just went back to reading my book when I got a text.

Nik:
At the house. Able to sneak out?

I smiled.

Me:
I'll see what I can do.

I closed my book and stood up. Caesar followed.

"I'm not feeling well. I think I'm gonna go lay down for a little bit." I told Aleksei.

He gave me a skeptical look.

He followed as I walked up to my room.

"Can I get you anything?" He asked trying to step inside my room.

"No, I think I just need to rest for a while. Lady cramps." I said closing the door.

I locked the door before easily climbing down off the balcony into the yard. I snuck across the lawn until I was at the safe house.

Nik was waiting inside with Tiberius asleep on the floor by his feet.

I quickly made my way into his arms.

"Hi." I smiled as he leaned down to kiss me.

"Hi."

"I've missed you." I said hugging him and taking in his warm scent.