Chapter Eleven ... A Tale Of Two Wolves

POV
Lucas

It was two days before the Great Gathering, the entire pack was aflame with activity

The Omega's helped me, we skinned and salted every kind of animal, that the pack territory had to offer.

I'm talking everything from turkeys and geese to beavers and possums, deer and turtle, even raccoon and chipmunks.

The food went on without end, not to mention the never-ending pies and cakes, just a whole lot of ridiculous shit.

The pavilions were practically finished, Stone and his crew only erected seven of them, as a lot of the coming wolves tended to bring their own tents.

The pavilions were huge, all of them about twenty feet high, these weren't just your average wooden structures either.

They were perfectly made, topped off by three layer roofs, elegant in its placement, the white paint gave them an air of beauty.

My daddy and a bunch of the other men were setting up grills, a few male Omega were sitting up against the ritual altar and some warriors were digging up the fighting pit

While all of this excitement was happening, something even more exciting was taking place. Soren's wolf.

The Elders had never seen anything like it, they'd heard of children dying during their finding, heard of the children who died taking wolves that didn't fit their status.

But a child, who came back from the woods after having his wolf killed, claiming an adult Omega wolf.

For hours Soren was basically under observation, his wolf Mya was expected to recount everything that happened in the woods, and she did.

Everything seemed to be normal, except for his wolf being unable to bear pups. Soren didn't seem to mind, but I knew someday he might.

Little Stone hadn't talked to Soren since before his finding, he was still mad at me so I couldn't say how he was holding up.

Maybe he was doing good, maybe he wasn't, he and I are a lot alike so I knew he needed some time, we'd cool off then we'd talk it out.

Little did I know Soren losing his wolf, would cause Stone to come crying to me. It was the night before the Gathering.

Soren was up and about, and we were back to training. With his wolf found, he was a perfect student.

He picked up both street fighting and kickboxing, he picked them up quick, learning stances and moves like clockwork.

He was fast too, way faster than me, when we raced to the southern border he got there six minutes before me.

When we were alone and finally done training, I asked Soren if I could talk to Mya. He thought about it for some seconds, then said yes.

I watched as Soren sat down, folding his legs inward, his back relaxing and his eyes flashing pure white.

"How may I help you, Luna?" The smooth raspy voice asked. It was odd hearing an adult females voice, come from the mouth of such a small boy.

"I'm not the Luna Mya, and I was wondering if you'd tell me... Your story, why you never found your host." I said.

Soren... Or I should say, Mya, looked off thoughtfully.

"It was many years ago, time passes slowly in the woods. I was a pup, carefree, happy. My mate Miro, he was just as happy as I was. We were to find our humans together, a gift not given to many." Mya spoke through Soren, but his face showed her pain.

"The day my human found me, was the day Miro's human died. He felt it, the death changed him, and I would not leave him. So I ran from my human, cost the girl her young life." Sorrow was etched into the wolf's every word.

"I spent the next two hundred years, protecting little pups from Miro, his rage knew no bounds. He believes the goddess abandoned us. I never listened to him." She finished, and tears were running down Soren's cheeks.

"Are you positive you can no longer bear pups?" I asked, realizing too late how insensitive that sounded.

"It was my consequence for rejecting my destined human. I am sure, as I am sure Soren will not have a mate, as Miro is mine." She said softly.

"You never said he wouldn't have a mate." I said, "He chose me, not the other way around, now he will live with his consequence as I had to." She said, before standing and running off.

It was later that night that Stone came to me, he'd also spoken to Soren and Mya, and he was sad for Soren. He said, that he'd dreamed he and Soren were mates, he said it felt real, they were older.

He started to cry when he told me, that Mya told him it would never happen. It took me some time to calm him down, he was really worked up, agitated and angry and sad all at the same time.

There was nothing I could do for little Stone, nothing I could do for Soren. If Stone had been right and their wolves had been mates, Stone would find out someday.

He'd feel the hallow, it's a sensation wolves feel when their mates have died before meeting them, it's an emptiness.

That night I prayed to Luna, I prayed my son wasn't Soren's mate, I prayed Soren would have a happy life, I prayed his wolf would find peace.

I would find out, fate has a way of making sure everything that is supposed to happen does happen.

•°•°•°||•°•°•°||•°•°•°||•°•°•°||•°•°•°||•°•°•°|•°•°•°||•°•°•°||•°•°•°||°•°•||