Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail) X Short! Male! Reader (Fluff)

Art by Laovaan on Youtube

Requested by AkuGoddess

[A/n: There are some Anime and Manga spoilers though I don't dive too deep into it, they are mentioned. Just a warning.]

With the pouring rain outside as background noise and the soft crackling noise in front of you, there was honestly no place you could think of where you'd rather be. Everything that is your favorite thing is all happening at once, it's like it's your birthday. You couldn't help but think back to how your boyfriend even got you into this comfortable position on the couch, let alone get you to stay for hours with a calming on and off again silence adorned with his occasional comment to Happy or an offhand comment about the self-lit fire dancing in front of the two of you or the crazy situations he finds himself in. Natsu Dragneel, your boyfriend of too long, coaxed you under a blanket that was freshly dried and easily warmed by Natsu's natural body heat. Long forgotten cocoa had been curled in your hands as you breathed in remanence of the terribly sweet, but lovingly made cocoa. You had no complaints whatsoever as you felt one with the couch and if you were to move an inch it would be way too cold.

Natsu had been telling a story to you for about a half-hour straight. Rambling and trying to not move too much as he talked about the action parts in the story. He had just gotten back from a month long mission, one which the guild had been told that he was crushed by a building and presumed dead along with the rest. You knew your boyfriend too well to think that he'd be dead, over the years if you had a coin for every time you were told Natsu was dead you would be the richest man in the country, maybe even the globe. Natsu always said that if he did die, that he'd come back to life just to say goodbye to you, and as his boyfriend, you would have to be naive to think otherwise.

When Natsu came back a couple of days ago, freshly bandaged and right out of a hospital--or so it appeared--he couldn't stop apologizing. You knew, and know, that he feels really bad. Apparently, the natives of the location didn't tell Natsu, Lucy, Erza, and Grey just how dangerous the mission was and as always he went overboard and everything got out of control.

"--I've never seen Erza so startled!" Natsu let out a hard laugh, his hands coiling around you tighter, his head moved to rest in the juncture of your neck and shoulder nuzzling. You let your head lull and rest on his humming a content sigh and closing your eyes for a second. "I'm sorry..." He apologized again

"It's okay, Natsu, all that matters is that you came back." Natsu moved his legs underneath the blanket and engulfed your frame as if he were trying to protect you even more than he already does. He went silent, as he does when he's self-sacrificing. "Do you remember five years ago, when I went on a mission with you, Lucy, Grey, and Erza, and you pushed me out of the way to protect me from an attack?" Natsu stayed silent as he thought back, but before he could answer you continued, "I was terrified, angry, and scared. I had never had anyone before you--before Fairy Tail--willing put themselves at risk for me. Especially with my past. I didn't leave your side as you healed because I was ready to beat you when you came back to me. But as I thought about it, I was happy. I was happy that the man that I loved wanted me enough to put his life on the line. You're brave and strong, and you put others ahead of you. You get stronger when those you need are in trouble and it warms my heart that you care that much. So, you don't have to be sorry. I know that eventually one of us will die before the other one, and when you go I know it will be while saving someone else. That's why you're my hero, Natsu."

He was speechless, which was a hard thing to get him to be. You knew that he was holding back tears with his tell-tale shaking arms and that his sniffling was only to try to push them back. He hardly held back his tears, you know how emotional he can get and honestly it's endearing to have a boyfriend whose super in touch with his emotions.