Chapter Five: Familiar Faces, Same Attitude

We arrived at the camp an hour before sunrise, walked nonstop and made sure our pace kept up with Katherine's naturally fast steps with her long legs and determination. The camp held more people than I expected, families I've recognized at Mister Chung's ball- only this time they were worn out loose clothes and looked understandably upset and sad. Tents lined up in long rows on each side, three small fires set in the middle with pots as a few people sat in its warmth.

"Dad!" I instantly recognized Henry's youngest son, certainly he's grown into a young man during the five year difference- but he still has that boyish smile. He tackled his father with a hug, a verge of crying hysterically in happiness and relief. However, as they hug and cried, I waited for the rest of his family,  after a second I realized they weren't around.

"Come on, I'll show where y'all are going to stay." Katherine continues, her strides slower than before as she neared further away from the others. I felt their eyes staring at us, we were strangers amongst their land and the only thoughts in mind were to either kill us or watch us closely.

"Why is everyone up?" I questioned, even the kids ran around as if it were the middle of the day.

"We have all hands up on deck during the night, the kids are up mainly because everyone isn't up to watch them. It's a bad habit, but it's not much we can do with most of our people enslaved or dead." She mumbled with a heavy sigh. Katherine stops just before the edge of the camp, a large Red Cross tent waited for us. "For the meantime we only have one, brace yourself, you guys aren't the only two we brought back."

"Who was the other?"

"God dammit!" A loud roar filled the air, shaking the trees and sending out a young woman who looked as if she was going to piss her pants.

"He's out of control." She spat. "I can't go back in there." Storming away, the young woman left fuming and frustrated.

Katherine slowly rolled her eyes and pulled one of the flaps to the side to show the equally as fuming stranger sitting on the edge of the cot. I recognized him immediately, his broad naked shoulders, pale gray eyes, thick stubble and short hair; his dominance hits me in the chest and twisted my gut- Alpha Owen Moonstone. "Refusing care once again Owen?"

He sat, panting like a bear, his shoulder harvesting two long scratch marks that turned his skin red and swelled. I can smell the infection from a mile away, it was putting a fever on his body and causing him to turn weak and angry like an injured animal. "I don't need anyone caring after me, I don't need this damn camp. And what the risk is the camp doing here? I told you I don't want to share with a tent with him." He growls, snapping his teeth at Katherine, after everything she's done for him.

I couldn't help but feel protective over her, boldly stepping in, I marched to the furious alpha; head held high, eyes stern, fist by my side. "If you want to fuss and growl all day like a old man, then fine. But don't you dare growl and fuss at Katherine or anyone whose lending their own resources to keep your ass alive. You were probably dying in a ditch by time they came along, they could of left you out there, but they pulled you here to help."

"At least I'm going to die with honor and not be a charity case to these-"

"Don't you dare." I wagged my finger like a disappointing mother, lips pulled into a stern frown and eyes narrow. "This world is dying, your pack is probably dying as well and you sit here like a spoiled child because you cant get your way. What kind of leader is that?"

Owen growled, instantly standing to his feet to push me down a notch, but I challenged the movement. Just then Don used his speed to get in between us and pushed Owen back into the bed with his strength. "Cool it." He hissed at the man, snapping his own teeth as a challenge. "We are all in this same situation, why don't you push your hatred to the side and get yourself together."