Chapter Fourteen: Forbidden Fruit

The dark mass formed in the corner of the room with no form of structure as strains of black mist floated around like fire upon the sun, I sat on my knees, still in the praying position but also facing the powerful being; fingers intertwined upon my lap as I kept my eyes upon the floor. "Thank you, oh great o-"

"No need for false praise." The voice echoed in the small room, sounding like a million voices in one with a snake hissing in the background. "Jupiter Wallace-Maynor, you have dodged death twice already, now you sit before me asking for a favor."

I was surely wasn't on it's nice list. Cringing from the harsh words, I slumped my shoulders and waited for death to take me to the underworld where I would love the rest of eternity behind a cell. "Apologies, I did not have any control on the placement of my soul."

"What is it that you seek, child?"

I finally looked up, taking in the white cloudy orbs in resemblance of its eyes. "The knife of Cain."

Angel of death was silent, only the low whispers of spirits surround us as it made a decision. "The knife of Cain is a complicated weapon, fragile but useful. Why should I give this to you?"

Why?... Placing out my sob story to the being who knows every inch of my life and even my future would not work, nor extending a heartfelt plea to a soul who seen all souls and caused all deaths. "I come to you as a warrior, a woman who has faced life ending situations and survived with such strength that I have never seen before. The knife of Cain will aid me to another victory and all warriors must go home after a war."

A few seconds of silence went by until the being spoke up again. "That is not convincing enough."

"Well then, I should be asking what do I have to give in order to retrieve such weapon."

"Your life, apparently, has more meaning than I suspected. Taking your soul will only end in my downfall as much as yours. The only way you are able to gain access to such weapon is if you are able to handle its power amongst a humane soul; the test of physical, mental and emotional strength. Only the strong can successfully wield this weapon without turning into Cain himself. Are you willing to go through these trails?"

I gulped, my body vibrates under its power- the black mist lingering upon the mass floated in the air, sending supernatural electrical circuits around that hit every nerve of my body. The question held I was quite straightforward, but also vague as these so-called trails can be the end of me. However, as I sit and think, Ilorian came to mind. The image of him slaughtering my entire family (even if this is a different world) went through my mind and the cringing fear takes control. "Yes, I am willing."

The four words seemed to have been a key to unlock the gate between us. Right before my eyes, I witness the world shift into an imaginable place of glass like structures, fits of light floating all around, the walls, flooring and ceiling the color of dark purple and a hint of aura blue with the shape of galaxies moved in the air as if we were standing in an unknown abyss in space itself.

A tall being stood seven feet tall, its skin resembled leather, face wide- practically flat with two holes just above the mouth to represent the nose. The being did not have any eyes, yet it seeing everything and everyone. Brown wings half it's size bind to its hunched back, clothes were dark rags that covered every inch of its body. I did not fear the unknown creature, oddly, I took comfort in its form as I realize a pretty face held more deceiving and devious behavior.

"You will be faced with three hardships to test your capabilities, each one will be harder and impossible to face. I must warn you, if stuck or wounded severely to the point of death in these trials, your soul will be trapped in this world and never to be resurrected." It hissed, long point fingers extending to showing half of a pomegranate. "Eat the forbidden fruit and you shall begin."