Chapter Fifteen: Mark of Cain

I felt no difference from yesterday morning, yet the mark upon my arm told me that the time of change is coming, whether I like it or not. Tucking the blade in my back pocket, I walked downstairs to hear the hush whispers of soldiers in the kitchen- Owen stood in front of a small group, arms crossed, brows furrowed and lips thinned as he listen to the complaints of a few of his pack sub-leaders.

"How can we trust the vampires or witches for that matter?" One woman spoke out, speaking the one thing upon everyone's minds.

Owen huffed while keeping the urge of rolling his eyes, even though he asked the same question once before. "I'm not saying you give your life for them, I just ask you tolerate them enough to fight by their side." The alpha eyes scanned the small crowd but stopped on the intruder that listened intently. "Jupiter, what-"

I reached into my back pocket to reveal the weapon that can help us all, along with the mark of Cain that made them all grasp and shiver in their boots. "Last night I've went through some test to get this. Owen and I hear your complaints, which is understandable and I would understand if you leave right now and never some back. But just know we have another advantage on our hands and the chance of losing is growing slim."

"How about you all start the training, I'll be out there in a second." Owen have the soft demand, causing them all to scurry while eyeing me closely as if I were to harm their leader. "What the actual hell?" He spoke through gritted teeth once the front door clicked closed and the house was empty, just the two of us in the small room. "How the fuck did you retrieve that?"

Stuffing the knife behind me in the loop of my belt, I stepped forward, coming close to his personal space with a new surge of confidence and bravery. Of course, Owen took notice and immediately became alert, his eyes flashing red and arms no longer covering his chest. "Angel of Death, who else? I just pride to it, went through some dangerous trials and got it." I shrugged my shoulders as if it were a walk in the park, I'm sure others have tried to gain the mark for themselves- but failed.

"That's it? You just asked for it and you got it? That easy?"

"I didn't say it was easy, besides, we got it now and that's all that matters."

"Yeah, maybe to you, but to the rest they see you as a common enemy. That damn things doesn't just kill demons you know, you'll have a target on your back now."

Instead of fear coursing through my veins, I've gained a sense of joy with the idea of the pack potentially attacking. I can feel the mark vibrating, feeding me with such rage and bloodthirsty thoughts that even Cain couldn't handle. However, I pushed it down with the image of Lucas, my light will keep the darkness away. "I'll take my chances. It seems the pack isn't the only thing I have to worry about here."

"Excuse me? You really think I'm threatened by you? You know how many lycan I had to fight in the past to be an alpha, how many territorial wars I faced and enemies I've slain that is definitely more powerful than a human? Just make sure you keep your distance with that thing." Brushing past, Owen storms out the house with a wood shipping door slam that risked my insides and caused my mind to clear.

Later that morning, I distanced myself from the camp. I can feel everyone concerns through the thick walls, the rumors spread fast about the woman who can end them all- which explains the glares and growls from the campers when I walked through the camp. Not that I was waving the knife around and threatening everyone with it, in fact, I kept the thing inside to make everyone feel at ease; but it didn't work.

"I have a target on my back." I huffed while pacing back and forth in front of an old tree, where my so-called watcher settled upon the lowest branch. No longer a bird, Ozymandias found joy in disguising himself as black cat- it was quite ironic considering my witch background and less as a defense compared to a hawk.