The Yule Ball

I don't own Harry Potter or any of the characters, they belong to JK Rowling

They were slow dancing in silence. The only sound that could be heard was the sound of the soft, quiet, end of dance music and the low murmur of hushed conversation. Harry had to admit, Fred was doing a great job at convincing the small crowd of people that was gathered round, most dancing, some watching, others merely sitting and talking. Fred wasn't grinning, laughing or waving like he was when the upbeat music was playing. Instead, he was wearing a serious, almost loving expression. One of Fred's arms were wrapped around Harry's waist, with his hand in the small of his back. Fred's other hand had interlocked fingers with Harry's, and was now at the pair's side. Harry, who was considerably shorter than Fred, was resting his head against Fred's broad chest with his eyes closed. Harry could swear he could hear and feel Fred's heart beating, rather rapidly. As the dance was coming to a close, half the students, including George, Ron and Hermione had stopped behind to watch the remaining dancers, particularly Fred and Harry. Most of the staff, including Snape and Moody, had also been observing the two as they gracefully danced around the glittering, pearly white dance floor. Harry had stayed with Fred throughout the night. He found he had a lot of fun with the redhead, and people had practically followed them everywhere, so there was no time to break off. Harry, however, found that he didn't mind. He enjoyed learning more about the twins, and getting to see the rare version of Fred; raw, serious and a little loving. All thought of Cho and the Tournament was gone from his mind. The look in Fred's eyes took him in, stole him, held his attention. He admired every inch of Fred's body, the way he glided around the dance floor, taking Harry around with him, the way his forehead shined with a thin layer of sweat. Everything about Fred shone, like he had a glowing light surrounding him. Harry had only just noticed the sharp jawline, the visible cheekbones, the spotless skin. He was beautiful.

Fred gently touched Harry's chin, waking him from his reverie. He lightly tilted Harry's head up so that the younger teen was looking up at him. Fred smiled softly down at him. He shifted a little closer, so his nose was barely three inches away from Harry's. Harry could count every freckle on his face. Both were aware that everyone who wasn't dancing was now watching them, but neither cared. They only had the eyes and attention for each other. Harry's heart felt like it was bursting out of his chest, beating powerfully against his rib cage. He suddenly wished that he and Fred were alone. No. This is all pretend. It's not serious. He thought, but he didn't move, partly because he wished this wasn't pretend, partly because he was too busy admiring Fred, and partly because he wanted to fool the crowd and pulling away wouldn't do so. Whispers surrounded them, and Harry caught a few words. "Look how close they are... do you think they might... what if they... are they...". But Fred and Harry were so lost in the moment, merely enjoying each other's company, that the world around them was forgotten. It was just Harry and Fred, Fred and Harry. Fred let go of Harry's chin, and Harry moved the hand that was rested on Fred's muscular back up to the older boy's long hair. They were now so close that Harry could feel Fred's warm breath on his chin. Fred moved his own hand into Harry's hair, and placed the other one on his shoulder. They stayed that way for a few seconds, staring into each other's eyes. Harry only just realised then that Fred had sapphire blue eyes, the deepest blue Harry had ever seen. They reminded him of the ocean, and it sent peace rushing through his body, slowing down his thundering heart. Harry's face was so close to Fred's, they were sharing air. Fred ran his hand once again through the raven hair, then Harry felt soft lips brushing against his own. They just lightly grazed over them, but it sent tingles like electric coursing through his body, nearly making him shudder. Harry's breath uncontrollably hitched slightly, and he heard Fred's do the same. There were a few more seconds where they merely looked at and held onto one another then, to Harry's surprise, Fred lightly pressed his lips to Harry's again, albeit hesitantly. A second or so later, when Harry didn't try and push him away, Fred pressed a little harder and Harry responded. There was a round of applause and a scream of "Yes! They finally did it!" From George that they barely heard, but George's shout carried over everyone else. Fred broke the kiss gradually and gave a breathy laugh as he pulled Harry so close that it made the butterflies in Harry's stomach go wild. "I'll take that as a yes to the question 'will you go out with me?' then?" Fred smiled down at Harry, who snickered slightly as he felt his face turn slightly pink. "You'd better." Was all he managed to hoarsely croak out. Fred's face then instantly warped into an expression Harry recognised as 'I've just remembered something important'. "Hold on a sec" he whispered to Harry as the crowd, once again, went silent. Fred spun Harry around so that the both of them were facing George, who was stood with Angelina Johnson, a Gryffindor Chaser on the House Quidditch team, and Professor McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor House. "Do we have your blessing, dear brother of mine?" Fred asked his identical twin. Harry noticed that Fred's voice shook slightly when he spoke, despite he fact he was grinning. George chuckled, and Harry could have sworn he saw a tear slowly make its way down his cheek. "Can't exactly say no, now that you've just kissed in front of half the bloody school, now, can I?" He said, also grinning, although his voice, like Fred's, shook, and his bottom lip wobbled suspiciously as he smiled at Harry and Fred. Harry felt his own eyes fill up, threatening to overflow, but he quickly swallowed the painful lump that was rapidly growing in his throat. He looked round at Ron and Hermione. Ron was grinning from ear to ear. As he caught Harry's eye, he gave him a thumbs up and mouthed "It's ok!" At him. Hermione was openly crying, and she was smiling broadly at Harry, who grinned back at her. Professor McGonagall was also smiling, tears glistening on her cheeks, Snape was scowling, the usual look of loathing he reserved for Harry plastered on his face, Moody's face was unreadable, but he looked neutral, and Dumbledore had tears sparkling in his piercing eyes. When he caught Harry's eye, he smiled fondly at him, like a father looking at his new born child for the first time. Harry heard jeers from the Slytherins, but ignored them. He was too happy to put up with Malfoy and his cronies tonight.