Chapter Nine- Death

Do You Ever Think About What It's Like To Die?

"I mean, do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya asked in disbelief after Luther had forced everyone to watch some footage from the night that Dad died

"I mean, do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya asked in disbelief after Luther had forced everyone to watch some footage from the night that Dad died. On a small, grainy TV screen was the footage of Mom tending to Dad before he goes to sleep then the next minute he's choking and is dead. According to Luther there was only one possible explanation.

"You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya. Maybe you don't know Grace anymore." Luther persisted.

"Then why don't we ask Cass?" Diego sighed and asked cynically. "After all, she never left. She knows Mom better than anyone."

"That's-" Luther protested but Diego cut him off.

"Do you remember this, Cassie?" He asked softly, sitting beside Cassandra on the couch. He waited patiently as she stared off into the distance. After a while she looked up and smiled at Diego as he took her hand in his.

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" Cassandra asked, her eyes snapping into focus. Luther sighed in contempt.

"You can't seriously be asking her."

"And why not? It's better than assuming Mom killed Dad!" Diego snapped, "At least I want to know the truth before you turn on Mom like an animal!"

"You have to admit that Cassandra's been a bit-"

"A bit what, Luther? And be careful what you say, she's your sister too." Diego spat, raising a knife to Luther's chest.

"A bit...spaced out. Like she's not really here. Look, even now she's not focused, she's staring off a million miles away!"

Diego sat back down on the couch next to Cassandra and gently held her hands in his. He squeezed them gently to get her attention. Cassandra looked at him but her eyes were empty.

"Do you remember this night?" Diego asked and points to the footage of Mom watching Dad die and doing nothing. Cassandra's eyes narrowed as she tried to focus. Cassandra opened her mouth to say something and took a deep breath. Then shut her mouth quickly and shook her head.

"I don't remember." She admitted gravely, looking at Diego with a lamenting look in her eyes. Luther sighed in aggravation.

"Don't!" Diego snapped, standing up and pointing a knife at Luther, "This doesn't prove anything!"

"I don't need to prove something I can see with my own eyes!" Luther snapped back at Diego.

"Maybe that low gravity in space messed with your vision. Look!" Diego interjected, proudly, 

"Dad has his monocle, Mom leans in, Mom stands up. Would you look at that! The monocle's gone. She wasn't poisoning him, she was taking it to clean it."

"Oh yeah!" Klaus mused. Luther sighed again, folding his arms across him chest.

"Then where is it?" Luther remarked, snidely.