Chapter Thirty Two- Endurance

Strongest of them all

When Vanya got to the house, it was empty

When Vanya got to the house, it was empty. She stood in the hallway suddenly very unsure of herself. Next to the grand staircase and chandelier that remained on the ground where it had fallen, she felt very small. She called out quietly, no more than a whisper, "hello" but there was no answer. Her words simply echoed away through the house. Vanya took a step further into the house, tiptoeing around the fallen chandelier. Everything looked a little bit bleaker because of it. She looked around trying to find a single sign of anyone in the house but there was none.

Then Luther appeared on the upstairs landing. He peered at her over the banister. His eyes flicked to the wooden floor panels below him. A fleck of red had caught his eye but he turned his head away, refusing to look at it. Instead he turned his eyes to Vanya.

"Vanya" he greeted coldly.

Vanya looked up at him, unable to do anything but stand there looking small. She sniffled before clearing her throat to speak.

"Is Allison...?" she couldn't finish her sentence but Luther answered.

"She survived." and that was all to be said on the matter.

Vanya trembled. Her voice shook as she said: "thank god."

Luther fixed his eyes on her and slowly came downstairs. Vanya sniffled, trying not to cry. Luther descended each step painfully slowly, never once taking his eyes off Vanya. He reached the ground and stopped just before Vanya, standing in an icy silence.

"What happened?" he said gravely. Vanya bit back tears.

"We got in an argument...and things got out of control." Vanya stammered. "I didn't mean to hurt her," she said through tears "Please, you have to believe me."

"I do." he said bluntly. Vanya sobbed in relief.

"It was an accident and- and I was angry." She choked back her tears and wiped her eyes on her sleeve. "It, uh, it just happened."

Luther was silent. They stood awkwardly, just staring at each other. Luther's face looked as if it had been carved in a jagged rock face. Vanya shuffled her feet.

"Could I see her?" Vanya stammered. Luther sighed.

"She's resting. Maybe later."

They revert back to standing in silence.

"Is, is it okay if I wait here for a bit?" Vanya asked, looking anywhere but at Luther for fear he would say no.

"Of course," Luther said, nodding encouragingly, "This is your home."

Vanya let out a shaky sigh of relief and relaxed further as Luther held out his arms to her. Vanya trembled and began sobbing once more as she melted into Luther's embrace.