Chapter Eighteen- The Avengers

I'm The Vigilante, You're The Stoner

"Hey, what's going on with you?" Cassandra heard Diego ask Klaus as she got in the back seat of Diego's car

"Hey, what's going on with you?" Cassandra heard Diego ask Klaus as she got in the back seat of Diego's car. Although she was pretty sure it used to belong to Dad. She got in just in time to see Diego strike Klaus' across the head as he put a pill in his mouth. His head was sent lurching forward and the pill flew out of his mouth.

"Hey, don't hit me asshole!" Klaus shouted, waving his around in protest. Cassandra sighed and leaned forward to whisper between both their heads.

"This right here is why I came back." She commented snidely.

"Don't tell me that everything is alright," Diego continued, ignoring Cassandra's incredibly helpful comment, "because I saw you in there, crying like a baby!"

"Because I lost someone!" Klaus protested, his voice strained as if he had been crying recently, "I lost someone. The only one...the only person I've ever truly love more than myself so...cheers!" he said, rummaging in his pocket and triumphantly holding up a pill. Cassandra darted forward and snatched it out of his bony fingers. Instead, she wrapped her hand around his and squeezed it lightly.

"No." Cassandra ordered comfortingly, "Look at me, Klaus. You can get through this."

"But I don't want to. I can't go a single day without...something."

"And that's okay. What counts is that you get up every day and you try again. You get up everyday no matter how hard it is and that in itself is a victory because you didn't give up. You take it one day at a time, one step at a time, one pill at a time, if you have to, and you beat it." Cassandra stated softly, encouraging him, "If you can do that, you will see him again. I promise you, Klaus. It does get better."

"Son of a bitch." Diego muttered.

"Why to set the mood." Cassandra grumbled, "What is it?"

"Hey! I know that guy." Klaus chorsued, looking in the wing mirror at the parking lot behind them. Cass looked over her shoulder and out the back window to where they're looking.

"How could you-" Diego began. Then Cassandra's eyes flashed white.

"He tortured Klaus and killed Eudora." Cass finished, gasping slightly. "That's the bear! That's Cha Cha! No. Hazel!"

"How did you-" Diego stammered.

"Five." Cassandra responded, "Are we going?" She asked quickly, turning back around to face Diego.

"What?"

"Are we going after him? We are going after him, right?"

"We? I thought you were leaving?" Diego teased, turning on the ignition.

"You wouldn't last five minutes without me." Cassandra retorted snidely, but she smiled nonetheless.

*