23. Please wake up

I shuffled through the cabinet confused as I asked which one of those he needs

"Beta blocker....the pink and white one." He said panting as if he ran a thousands miles.

I quickly grabbed the pack and popped a pill on his palm. He brought it up to his mouth with a shaking hand and swallowed it.

"Lay down." I said and gently pushed him on the bed which he obeyed and tucked him with his covers.

He grabbed my wrist and looked at me with his teary eyes.

My heart broke in a thousand pieces.

"What is it? Does it hurt? Should I get water for you?" I sat down on the edge of the bed and brought my hand on his chest. I felt his heart beat like crazy beneath my fingers.

"It's my fault." He said, his voice cracking and lips trembling. "It's my fault she died. It's my fault."

"I don't know what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure it's not your fault." I reached out and wiped his tear with both of my hands cupping his face tears was blurring my vision.

"Please don't cry."

Not in a million years have I thought I'd see Amir cry. Him being vulnerable. I guess everyone has their moment. Everyone needs someone they can lean on even if they act tough and strong.

Somehow even the strongest person has a breaking point. And I'll be his pillar whenever he needs me.

Amir repeated 'it's my fault' over and over til he fell asleep again.

I could not say anything else but 'no, it's not' because I did not know what he was talking about. I wish to help him. I wish to take away all his pain. Is that weird? I'm getting sentimental these days but what I'm feeling. Is that love?
*******
Amir's POV

"Mom please let me drive once." My 13 years old's voice pleaded.

"No Amu, baby I can't let you drive. You're too young." My mom said with her eyes were in the road.

"You're so rude. I won't eat if you don't let me." I huffed and crossed my arms at my chest.

"Yeah yeah" she said parked the car.
I wanted to keep being angry but I really wanted to drive.

"Please, only in parking lot. I swear this is the only time." I grabbed her hand and held it tight. "Please please please."