30. Did it work?

"Lane 1: Elin Johnson!" The announcer announced

"Lane 2: Mickeala Queen!" I crouched down and tied my shoes properly.

"Lane 3: Layla Abdullah!" I turned to where Latifa, Scarlett and Sabrina sat and threw a wink at them while smirking. Latifa and Scarlett screamed and danced a weird dance as Sabrinna looked embarrassed to be with which made me laugh.

"Lane 4: Alexa Maxwell!"

My eyes scanned over the crowd and connected with Amir's icy blue eyes.

He was with Khaled and Lucas looking proud. Keith is probably preparing for his turn which is after us. Amir brought two fingers to his temple and saluted, smiling as if cheering for me. I turn away from them and smiled slightly.

"Ready!"

I placed my feet on the starting blocks as I breathed deep and slow.

"Set!"

This is it. It was now or never.

The gun shot was heard and I leapt.
I pushed my feet as fast as I could. I could really feel that I got faster after the harsh training we did and the extra jogging I did my own.

Yesterday though I couldn't train at all because I was beat. We came in our penthouse at 5 am the morning and I dropped unconscious from tiredness until afternoon.

The date with Lucas, Amir and Zahra, Amir's illness, the car race.

Everything happened so fast I gave up on thinking throught anything and just go with the flow. It's too much to think around.

The wind slapping my cheeks lightly as they bounced a little while I ran and ran. A girl was in front of me, I think her name is Michaela. But I pushed my feet even harder I almost thought I was flying. Breathing was becoming harder to do now.

I soon was panting feeling my throat itching.

The girl was still in front of me. The goal was getting nearer.

Come on Layla, move your feet faster!
I could hear my friends screaming my name. And the burden on my shoulders lightened.

A few seconds later I passed by the girl. Her face was as red as a tomato. I don't doubt that mine look the same.

After a second I don't what happened but I didn't feel the light white band brushing against my stomach like I waited for. The girl in front of me was 0.89s faster. Faster than me.