Chapter Two

A nightmare...?

Was that what this was...? It had to be... It had to...

It felt as if reality had fled the scene. As if Y/n was merely spectating herself from above, perhaps seated upon a sturdy branch of one of the unbothered oaks whizzing past her vision as she now tore through the nearby woods, the gang of teenagers continuing to loudly pursue her. She could see the way the August wind tossed her clothes and h/c locks, the greying sky stretching heavily against the horizon of shabby forest, the brush shuddering as she passed...

She could hear the air whistling in her ears, abandoned twigs and leaves crackling beneath her feet, the wild, taunting laughter so close behind her, her heart pounding painfully in her ears, her shallow breaths tearing in and out of her, the ice-water blood blueing her veins as it coursed through them...

It was as if the adrenaline had temporarily heightened her senses, the gaunt colors of her surroundings attacking her eyesight, the damp and earthy smells overwhelming her nose, and the aching snake of terror twisting and squeezing her insides. All she wanted to do was scream... Why couldn't they just leave her alone...? What had she done to deserve to be terrorized like this...? All she wanted was to have a normal school day... School year, even! Was that really too much to ask for..? What had she done to gain this attention...?

Uh oh. Perhaps she had gotten too caught up in her thoughts. Before she knew it, the entire world was tumbling. Somersaulting. She could see everything. Then nothing. First, dirt and leaves flooded her senses. She could feel it, see it, taste it. Then it was pain. Hot pain and darkness. Seething red and white stars marched across her vision. Moist earth clotted her hair and clothes. Of course. Just her luck, right? Who knows what those goons would do to her now?

"No!" The scream tore from her throat before Y/n could even think about it. Before she could even see.

She fought to regain herself, trying to get to her feet, but she was tackled almost immediately. She was unsure of just who was on top of her, but she didn't care. The girl clawed, swung, kicked, and fought. But alas, her attacker was bigger and stronger. When she could finally see again, an unfamiliar face peered down at her.

"Hey, brat!" He giggled at her, wide-eyed.

He had her by the shoulders, straddling her with his grimy jeans. He had a stocky build, and a cheeky grin. Laughing baby blues paired with a silvery bowl-cut. She decided then and there that she disliked everything about him.

"Stop it!" She demanded, struggling against him. He only laughed in response before he was dealt a thorough kick to the gut.

He rolled off of her at once, groaning in utter pain. Y/n began to scramble to her feet, but was unfortunately grabbed by someone even bigger. When she looked up, she saw that it was the boss... Mullet.

"Fuck! What's your problem!?" She shouted.

Alas, she found that he did not like that. He proceeded to shake her about, before he struggled them both to their feet.

"I could ask you the same thing, bitch! What's your name? Tell me!"

The teen only continued to struggle in his arms, trying to get a mark on him. Even trying to clamp her teeth down on his skin.

"Stop it! What, you're gonna make me hit you? Gonna make me hit a girl?" He growled.

He seemed like he was about to say something else, before being crudely interrupted with a seemingly painful(as well as admittedly satisfying) kick to his nuts. His grip released as he staggered backwards, allowing Y/n to stumble backwards from him, immediately losing her balance and falling to her knees, leaving her to glare up at him. The boys watching the encounter burst into unionized laughter, grabbing onto each others shirts and shoulders as they doubled over and wheezed.

"You shut up! All of you!" He demanded, whirling around to face them with an expression of fury.

When he turned back to her, the young woman admittedly experienced a stab of fear. Now that... was true lividity if she'd ever seen it. Y/n forced herself not to gulp.

"Ohh, you little shit..." he muttered, just loud enough for her to hear.

He darted forward, seizing her by the neck. Sweltering terror took over her body, her hands finding his larger ones as her eyes widened.

"Woah, holy shit, dude!" Exclaimed one of the boys.

"Shut up, Patrick!" Whispered bowl-cut.

Hushed voices continued to exchange slightly concerned remarks towards each other as they looked on.

"How hard is it... to tell me your name... little new girl...?" He began slowly, his darkened blue eyes glowering down at her.

She realized she was trembling, unable to control herself at this point. The girl was struggling to breath, and it seemed to be quite obvious.

"You're gonna hurt her, Henry!"

"Shut the fuck up!" He bellowed, before shoving his victim back to the ground.

The delinquent, Henry, began to fumble for something in his pocket, shortly whipping out a switchblade. He waved it threateningly in her face, crouching close to her.

"See this...?" He inquired softly, bringing it even closer.

Y/n said nothing, frozen in shock.

"See this?!"

She vigorously nodded, a hot needle of fear piercing her insides. Was her life truly at stake? Would he seriously hurt her...? However, he seemed to be pleased at her compliance, a horrifying smile crossing his features.

"What's your name...? Huh? You gonna tell me now? You want me to hurt you?" Gently... so gently, he caressed the side of her face with his knife. Y/n could barely stifle a whimper.

"L/n...!" She gasped. "Y/n L/n...!"

His smile grew even wider.

"Aww... Pretty name for a pretty girl... Right, boys...?"

Obediently, they nodded amongst themselves, all looking no longer quite so amused.

Suddenly, something loud made itself apparent.

"DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! OUT OF THE WAY, BOWERS! OUT OF THE WAY! WE'RE GONNA GET YOU! HERE WE COME!"

Everyone turned to regard the noise, including Y/n. Her mysterious knights in shining armor rode mechanical steeds on wheels, who came tearing maniacally down the hill towards them, sending leaves, twigs, and terrain flying here and there.

"DINGDINGDINGDING, GONNA CRUSH YOU WITH OUR BIKES, YOU SHITHEADS!"

There were about seven of them, but everything was happening too fast for Y/n to tell what each of them looked like. She didn't want to stick around to find out. The gang of attackers momentarily scattered, Henry reluctantly letting her go. Rapidly, one of them scuffled to a stop, outstretching a hand to her.

"G-g-get on!"