Lucifer x Angel! Reader (Sometimes we gain from the things we lose...)

You shouldn't have been here...

And yet, here you were. Sitting under the great tree and thinking back on the days when he was still there with you. When Lucifer was just another angel. All the harmless mischief you both caused, roaming the gardens of Eden and talking wistfully for hours.

How long had it been since those days?

Now, the garden seemed nothing more than a barren whisper of its former glory. The grass withered to brownish-grey and drooped under the cold winds. Any fruit the plant life managed to produce was bitter and unfit to eat. And the tree... the massive birch wood tree you both used to call your 'special place'. You remembered all the times you'd clamor up its regal branches and wait for him to catch up. All the days you'd lingered there and watched peacefully as leaves waves in the warm Summer breeze.

It looked so sick now. As if the life had slowly been drained from its bark and left nothing but a dying husk behind. And it was all his fault... You told him nothing good would come of his defiance, but he seemed so convinced that he deserved more than just a place among the heavens. That he deserved a Kingdom. He got his wish... Now he was king of the broken.

Even so, after his horrid betrayal and just for power... you couldn't be mad at him. You wanted to, truly. The rest of the angels were, and scowled down at him with distaste, but all you could do was sit and ponder his exile with remorse. You missed him. More than you really should have.

"I didn't know you still came here." A familiar voice broke you from your thoughts and you lifted your head with recognition... but didn't look back.

"Sometimes I don't remember the journey down here..." You spoke grimly. "Sometimes I'm just thinking about this place and then... I'm here."

There was a bout of silence for a moment, before the voice spoke again, somewhat more hesitant than before. "And were you thinking about me?"

You turned your head slowly, smiling that soft smile that could catch the likeness of a snowflake. "I was... and here you are."

He seemed to tap his fingers restlessly on his cane at this, staring out with a glaze of memory in his eyes at what used to be a once beautiful garden. His voice took on a sudden sourness. "Why do you come here, Y/n? Doesn't it just remind you of everything we lost?"

The cold air nipped through the feathers of your wings, folded tightly behind you. You pondered his words for a moment. "It does..."

"Then what reason do you have to come here?"

You stood up, making your way to his side. He tensed at the gentle and still loving hand you held to his cheek. It was true, the beautiful gardens had been tainted. It was true, you would never again see him in the golden glories of the skies. It was true, you had lost something... but you hadn't lost him. He was still there, in front of you. And you would hold onto that, no matter what. It was better to remember and cherish what you once had than to forget it ever existed.

"Sometimes we gain from the things we lose..."
___________________________________

Author's Note: The artwork above is not my own. Hope you enjoyed! 🙂