Tom Trench x Reader (Media Mayhem)

Author's Note: Yes, I'm alive! x3 Artwork above isn't mine. Enjoy!
__________________________________

You thought you knew true pain.

After all, you'd been through a considerable amount of neglect through your childhood. Grew up watching the world slowly die around you. You thought... after all this, that you'd seen it all. Especially having gone to Hell.

...

But you realized very quickly, that you were wrong. The worst pain imaginable, as it seemed, was not being ran over, or shot, or blown up.

It was having 16 oz of steaming hot coffee dumped right where the sun doesn't shine.

You weren't even the one undergoing this torture, but you cringed every single time it happened. In 1996, after arriving in Hell, you were just lucky enough to land yourself a job as the camera worker for the most popular news station across the nine circles. Being the one in charge of getting all the right angles and not tainting their 'image', you were very quickly introduced to the two head broadcasters, Katie Killjoy and Tom Trench.

Katie was more obnoxious about the whole ordeal, while Tom was considerably more laid back and didn't seem to care as much. In fact, since the two of you were forced into working with her so much, you managed to bond over mutual hatred for Katie. Now, as per your job, you had to watch as Tom, once again, got his crotch soaked with broiling coffee on live television. You quickly shifted the camera to Katie, so that the rest of Hell wouldn't be so focused and bemused by Tom's utter agony.

When the break finally came, you rubbed your temples with frustration as the poor news reporter wobbled off set to the lobby. You followed him, already grabbing a towel on the way. You met him grumbling through his gas mask, breathing in deeply to ignore the pain. He seemed to calm a little, seeing you, and though you couldn't see it behind the mask, you knew he was giving a grateful smile as you handed him the towel.

"Tom... you really need to stand up to that bitch." You stated firmly, crossing your arms. "Get back at her. Pour hot coffee on her and see how she likes it."

He sighed heavily, shoulders slumped. "I hear what you're saying, Y/n. But let's be honest. You think she's ever going to give up her position of 'power'? No. If I started acting against her, she'd see me as a threat. Last thing I'd want is to lose my job because of her superiority complex."

"If you don't do something, she'll think she can get away with it and you'll be miserable for the rest of your perceived existence. How long are you going to give in?" You asked, a concerned frown.

He didn't reply...

A few minutes later, and the break was over. You scowled a bit as you went back to the camera. This couldn't keep up. You would be a pretty pathetic friend if you let it. And so, you hatched a plan. An easy one, but one that was sure to humiliate Katie.

And you were absolutely certain you'd lose your job, but at this point, it'd be worth it to see her put in her place. The news started back up as normal, and it stayed that way for maybe five seconds as Tom reported on the recent extermination on the south side of the pentagram. Then, as the camera shifted for Katie to give her report... you zoomed all the way in and lowered the frame till all that could be seen was her chest jiggling as she talked. The rest of the camera room started to snicker, trying to hide laughter beneath their breath. All Hell could see for the entire thirty seconds of her talking was her chest. It didn't help that the dress she was wearing was a little low cut. You grinned maliciously, seeing the hint of confusion and maybe even worry at the rest of the crew's barely concealed laughter.

Then, the report shifted back to Tom and you returned the camera angle to normal. Needless to say, when the next break came and Katie figured out what you had done, she was livid. You were already packing your things in preparation to be fired as she stormed over.

"Listen here you half-wit, piece of shit, waste of space! You get your sorry excuse of a slut off this set, hear me?!" She bellowed, and you let her, fully expecting this.

It all would've been fine and good, were it not for what she did next...

She slapped you. Across the face. Hard.

So hard in fact that you fell backwards to the floor, crashing into some equipment on the way and hurting your ankle. Before you could process a response, angry agitated footsteps were heard coming your way. But they weren't directed at you. No... Tom stormed over and aggressively tore Katie away from you. You guessed the sheer idea that he would even touch her was too shocking to process, because she didn't advance again. Only stood there bristling as Tom helped you up. You winced, trying to avoid putting any weight on your ankle.

He turned and gave Katie the most vile glare you'd ever seen, and stated in a low vicious tone. "That's enough."

Seeming to regain her sense of authority, she sneered. "This isn't any of you f***ing business."

"Actually-" He stated, with as much sureness as you'd ever seen. "It is. And no, they aren't fired."

Everyone seemed aghast that Tom had just denied one of Katie's demands. "Yes, they are."

"Then I rehire them."

There was silence, and the two broadcasters stared daggers at each-other. The tension in the room had never been higher, and though Katie would never in her afterlife admit it openly, Tom had just as much power in the company to fire and re-hire as she did. It was just the first time he'd ever actually exercised that power.

Finally, without a word and only the audible grinding of teeth, Katie turned and stormed off set. Your jaw hung open a few moments in surprise, but you shook it off and let Tom help you over to a couch. He inspected your leg, and you rubbed your arm nervously.

"Sorry..."

He looked up, eyebrows raised with surprise and confusion. "Sorry? For what?"

"Getting you dragged in..."

Despite your expectations, he started laughing. "Are you kidding? Telling her off was probably the most amazing feeling ever." He sighed. "You were right. I should've done it sooner. I hope you don't mind dealing with us a bit longer."

You smiled slightly, and without warning, kissed him on top of the head. "I'll can handle the crazy bitch, as long as you're part of the deal."

He paused, heart skipping, clearly not having expected it. You watched him get somewhat flustered. He was a pervert, for sure, but he wasn't used to someone actually taking an interest in him. There were no words for a moment, before he embraced you in an equally unexpected hug. You laughed and let him hold you for a while.

...

...

..."Does this mean we can make out?"

You mentally facepalmed.