Chapter Thirty

I warn before throwing the rock and shattering the window -Ally Parker 

----------

A L L Y ' S  P O V

Hudson rushes over to me from my yell of worry. "Geeky, what's wr--" He stops once he views in the truck. "ong."

There was a puppy no older than a few months laying down on the seat with their head over the edge. The puppy is panting very heavily, no doubt from the heat. I tap the window and the puppy responds by attempting to lift his head, but can't complete the task.

"We have to get him out of there." I look to Hudson and he looks deep in thought.

He breathes slowly while looking around the car park. He tries to use the handle but of course, it was locked. "How do you presume we do that?"

I look from Hudson back to the puppy, contemplating whether or not the animal would survive to wait for a veterinarian. My guess was a no considering the puppy is now drooling from his mouth.

I turn around and grab a rock from the parking place dividers. "Stand back," I warn Hudson before throwing the rock and shattering the window. I was lucky it wasn't a fairly advanced truck because the car alarm would've triggered at the window shattering.

I extend my hand in the hot truck and pop open the door. I reach for the puppy, and gently pick him up in my arms. The poor thing makes little protest as it rests their head on my shoulder. The dog appears to be on the verge of passing out, so Hudson and I start to make our way back to his car.

"Should I leave some money to get the window fixed?" Hudson requested, looking back at the broken window. My gaze runs from the truck to the limp puppy in my arms, helping me generate my answer.

"No."

*

*

*

We were in the personal kitchen on the ground floor, watching the puppy slurp up every ounce of water in the mixing bowl. "How long was he in that car do you think?" Hudson asks.

"A long time," I say sitting back down giving the animal some turkey. He gobbled down the meat, making me start thinking he wasn't treated the best at his old home. "You're hungry aren't you?" I say in that annoying puppy talk voice.

"What are we going to do with him?" Hudson asks as I take the puppy in my arms, cradling it to my chest.

I shrug my shoulders as the puppy continuously licks my face. I can't say that I want to keep him because it isn't my house, so my opinion wouldn't be valid. I think Hudson could read my expression like he always can, and whips out his KPhone.

"Mom, hey." I look at him with my eyes expanded. I mouth 'no, don't' multiple times, but he just uses his finger to shush me.

Hudson taps the speaker button, letting me hear Peyton's booming voice from the phone. "HUDSON JETT DIAMANTE, tell me why I got a call from the office asking for an attendance excuse! Why are you skipping school? I thought you were past this!"

Hudson cleared his throat. "Mom, I just needed a break. Anyway, I went to the grocery store to get food, and I found a puppy that was about to die in an overheated car. I took the pup home, gave it some water and it's a really sweet dog mom. I want to keep it." He explained in a rush.

I heard silence from the other end of the phone for a minute. "You actually want a new dog? After all this time?" Peyton questions. Puppy whimpers when I stopped petting his ear, so I continued scratching his small, malnourished body.

"Yeah, I want this one. I don't want him to go to a bad home." My eyes were dry from not blinking, but I couldn't handle the shock of this moment.

"I'll talk over it with your dad, don't get any ideas. It's not your puppy yet." Peyton voices. "And Hudson?"

"Yeah?" He responds.

"You're grounded for a week." She cuts the call. I laugh at Hudson's pouting expression.

*

*

*

"Do you really think they'll say yes?" I ask meekly. I've never been the one to act shy, but in such a short time I've already come to be so attached to this dog.

Hudson looks up and changes his face. "Yeah, I'm the only one keeping this family from getting another dog. As Mia so generously reminds me... weekly." He walks up and pets the puppy's head after letting the dog sniff his hand. "Everyone in our family likes animals and wants a new dog. I just have never been ready since my last one."

"And you think you're ready now?"

Hudson looks to me and smirks. "I think I'll make it out alive." Hudson's phone starts to ring with Aaron's name as the caller ID. Hudson walked out of the room to take the call.

When Hudson walked back in he had his signature expressionless face on. Haven't seen that one in a while. "Ally, you have a dog." Then he flashes his million dollar smile.

I scream, spinning in circles with the puppy tight in my embrace. It seems that the puppy could tell the mood has lifted because he started to lick my face again and get really excited.

Once Puppy and I calmed down from the initial excitement, we were both just staring at each other. This will sound really cliche and odd, but I feel like we have a connection.

My puppy. 

----------

First cheer practice of the year was today, it was rough. I can't feel my arms, haha. 

What will the puppy's name be? 

Why does Ally feel a connection with the dog?

Will they get in trouble by rescuing the puppy?

Teaser: "Movie night just got a whole lot better" -??

17/06/19 - Thanks for reading! -Bri xx