Chapter Forty-Eight

"Why did I make this decision" - Ally Parker

----------

A L L Y ' S  P O V

april 18th

I heard some noise but didn't choose to open my eyes over it.

I regret my decision of not checking the room when all of a sudden some yells in my ear, "Ally wake up! It's your birthday!" My eyes snapped open at the intrusion.

"What are you doing and why are you yelling?" I ask my dad, rubbing my temples. I hastily checked my alarm clock to find that it was three in the bloody morning. "Why are you waking me up at three o'clock?" I ask as he turns away quickly.

He flicked on the light switch, causing me to cover my eyes. "I'm talking in a normal voice. And it's time to open your present, fast now." My dad exclaims, shoving a large and heavy birthday bag onto my lap. I look at him as if he's gone insane. "Come on dear, we haven't got all morning."

"What's wrong with you?"

He waves his hand in front of me and scoffs, "Can't a dad just give his favourite daughter her birthday gift?"

"Not at three in the morning, he can't!" I exclaim, "What's going on?"

He sighs, "Honey the gift will explain it all, just shut your trap and open it."

I exhale slowly, propping myself up more on my headboard. "Okay."

I take the colourful paper out of the bag to find a gray Fjallraven Kanken backpack, the ones that are really popular right now. I take the backpack out of the bag and set it on my lap, I also found a blue hydro flask in the side pocket. "Are you turning me into a VSGO girl?"

"Now open the backpack." He instructs, giving my question no attention. "What's a VSGO girl?"

I brush off his question and slide the zipper open. Inside was a bunch of snacks and a new book, The Fault in our Stars. I love this book.

"Thanks, Dad, I love it," I announced, giving him a hug.

Suddenly the door creaked open to show both Kalin and Jessica. "There's more," Calin exposed, taking a small watch-sized box from behind her back.

Jessica ran up to my bed and hopped on it, clumsily falling over my legs, making me wince. She takes my new backpack from me and removes the water bottle from the side. "Seriously? I asked you guys for one of these and you said no. Everyone at school has one!" She whines.

"It's not your birthday, Jess." My dad responds.

"I'll just use it anyways." She assumes. I snort in my head, no you won't.

I turn my head to look back at Calin while my dad argues with my half-sister.

Calin awkwardly enters my room. We haven't talked much since she explained that she revoke my college application from UCLA. Mostly because I've been ignoring her.

I believe that's a fair punishment.

Calin came up right next to my bed and gently handed me the box. I expected it to be a watch considering the size and length of the box, however, once I felt the weight I recalculated my idea.

"I know we haven't been on the best terms, but I hope that this will be a good enough apology." She smiles gently and I smile back.

Because I'm actually a nice person, unlike what everyone worldwide thinks.