Chapter 24

#CrystalClear

Songs:

The High Road by Three Days Grace

····· JACKS POV·····

Kay tells me that she doesn't feel like waking around Times Square, and even though this may be her only chance to ever walk around the famous Times Square, I just want to spend time with her, so I agree. I may be selfish, but it's what she wants, plus we're running out of time. I want to show her Central Park, and then the Brooklyn bridge, and I need to do something at exactly 8 o'clock there, so Central Park needs to come soon.

I drive a few blocks down 7th avenue, which I could easily just keep going until we hit Central Park, but I turn left onto west 52nd street, passed Madison Avenue and to east 52, and I pull into a short alley that has no parking signs everywhere. Kay's face is all confusion, and I give her a reassuring smile.

"I'll be right back, stay here," I say, hoping that she will stay. I don't need her following me, I could get in a lot of trouble being seen around here with her, and also this is supposed to be a secret. I get out of the Jack Mobile and walk around the front, disappearing behind a cardboard-plastered gate and down a small, concrete flight of stairs. I knock on the door and Lee answers.

"Hey man, I haven't seen you in a while. When you called earlier-"

"I can't stay and talk, I have things to do," I say, patting Lee on the back. I've known Lee since high school, and we were kinda friendly towards each other. We never really hung out, nothing ever really happened. Besides, Lee was literally obsessed with working, especially night shifts. I take the paper bag from his arms and look inside.

"This is all of it?" I ask. The package is a little smaller than I expected, but I know it's good stuff.

"Yeah, all of its there, don't worry your pretty head off," Lee mutters sarcastically. I think I may have said something wrong, but I ignore it all.

"Thanks," I say, shooting a genuinely nice smile while handing over the money. Lee's business is a little expensive, but it's worth it. It is the best stuff you can get in upper Manhattan.

I turn around, knowing that Lee is watching me go up the stairs. I don't look back though, feeling guilty for no real reason. As soon as I'm back around the gate and I see the car, I stop, surprised. Kay isn't there. Are you freaking kidding me!

I rush over to pit the bag in the back seat of the car so it doesn't knock over in the car, and as soon as the doors open I know everything's okay.

"Why are you laying down?" I almost shout, my voice raising without me noticing. I feel vulnerable, knowing Kay has caught me in the act. She's laying in the back seat, the radio blasting some Killers song or whatever.

"I got bored," she giggles while sitting up. She brushes her hair back, messing the waves up even more than they were after we had kissed. I sigh and frustratedly run a hand through my hair.

"I thought you ran away or something," I say, and I really don't know what else to say. I shut the door and get in the front, but Kay doesn't move, staying half-sitting-half-laying in the back seat. I wish she'd move or something, because the way she's leaning up against the back seat with her hair all over the place makes it so tempting to forget all about my plans for the night to make new ones.

"Why would I run away?" Her eyes are big and green and starring at me with a mixture of curiosity and something else; sadness? A hint of distrust, betrayal?

"I meant like, to come and look for me or something. I just don't want you getting lost in a city this big, it's bad enough when you get lost at the Stagehouse," I try to joke to lighten the mood, but I'm still a little upset, over nothing in particular. Kay doesn't laugh either.