Chapter 2

Ty Blackthorn woke up to Irene scratching him. It didn't hurt much, but it was enough to wake him up.
"Irene," he sighed, petting her lovingly.
He stretched his arms, yawning. It was another normal day at the Scholomance. It was his last day before a two week break, and Ty couldn't be more excited. He would get to see his family again. He hadn't seen them in about two months. His twin sister, Livvy was ecstatic. Even though her family couldn't see her, because she was a ghost, she could still see them. Livvy had had some problems recently, but they were figuring them out.
The heron pendant had helped them a bit. Livvy had told him to write to Kit saying thank you, but Ty still hadn't done it. It had been a few weeks since Magnus had come with the pendant from Kit. He could still write a thank you letter. He wasn't sure where exactly to send it, so he planned to give it to Magnus. Magnus had been checking in on Ty and Livvy frequently. He was helpful. Magnus had a lot of knowledge that he used to try and help them. They weren't making much progress in helping Livvy, but it was a start. Ty just wanted his sister to be happy.
He sometimes thought Livvy would rather not have been brought back, no matter how many times she reassured him. She seemed upset sometimes, but overall, she seemed happy.
Ty had checked his bags several times, making sure he had everything he needed before going back to the Los Angeles Institute. He didn't want to forget anything, because he wouldn't be coming back for two weeks. After several more checks, Ty knew he had everything. He was ready to go home, to see his family. He had missed them, but he kept himself busy at the Scholomance. That kept his mind off the absence of his family. He had brought his favorite books and movies to keep him entertained when he didn't have any work to do.
Ty grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, and sat down at the desk in his room. He had a swiveling chair that helped him stay focused. He could move around in the chair whenever he wanted. Ty didn't know how to start the letter to Kit. He didn't know what to say. He decided to just start the letter and make it up as he went. He put on his headphones to block out the noise of the world, and wrote:
Dear Kit,
I am writing to thank you for what you did for Livvy and I. The pendant is helping us. I was wondering how you are doing. Are you happy in Devon?
Livvy watched intently as Ty wrote. "Tell Kit I say hi!" she said.
Ty nodded and continued writing.
Livvy is watching me write this. She says hi. I am going home for a two week break. I'm at the Scholomance right now. I have a pet Carpathian Lynx. I named her Irene. Livvy says to tell you to visit the Los Angeles Institute soon. Thank you again for the pendant.
—Ty
Ty took off his headphones, letting them rest on his neck. Livvy nodded approvingly. "Very well written," she said. "How long do we have to stay here? I want to go home!"
"We're leaving once Jules and Emma arrive to pick me up."
"That could take forever!" Livvy sighed, looking at Irene suspiciously. "What are you looking at, Irene?"
Irene stared at Livvy, and made a hissing noise. Livvy stuck out her tongue. Livvy and Irene hadn't gotten along very well. Ty still wasn't sure if Irene could actually see Livvy or not. It seemed like she could, but there was no way of knowing.
There was a knock on the door. Ty assumed it was Jules and Emma. He opened the door, and was right. Jules and Emma were waiting for him outside the door. They smiled.
"Hey, Ty!" Emma said.
Ty nodded a greeting.
"You ready to go home?" Julian asked.
Ty nodded again. Emma and Julian grabbed some of Ty's things and started towards the portal that brought them there. Ty grabbed the rest of his things and followed them. Livvy followed unseen by Emma and Julian.
The parking lot was full of people picking up their kids for the two week break. Ty couldn't focus. The noises were too loud. He put his headphones on, blocking out the noise. He also whispered some of his favorite words. His favorite words at the time were brittle, tide, wave, wash, and shell. He could see the portal on the other side of the lot. They were almost there. He was almost home.
He stepped through the portal with Emma and Julian. Livvy willed herself to be where Ty was, which led her to the Los Angeles Institute. He stepped out of the portal moments later outside of the Institute. He followed Julian and Emma into the Institute. They quickly put his things in his room. He could unpack later. At the moment, he just needed his family.
     He took off his headphones as he quickly descended the stairs, and saw his family waiting for him. They were all smiling at him. Dru ran up to him and hugged him tightly. Ty didn't really enjoy being touched, but he let Dru hug him. They hadn't seen each other in months. Emma gave him a quick high-five. He was okay with that.
"Welcome back, Ty," Mark said.
Cristina joined Mark. Kieran was busy ruling in Faerie, so he wasn't here. Cristina gave Ty a smile and a quick hug. She was holding coffee in her hand. She seemed to be very energetic, meaning this probably wasn't her first cup of coffee of the day. Strangely, Magnus was also there. He was probably here to check in on Livvy. He quietly left Cristina and Mark to join Magnus who was talking to Julian. Ty waited for their conversation to end before speaking. He planned out exactly what he wanted to say, before saying it.
"Magnus, I have something for Kit," he said, shyly. "Will you give this to him?"
Magnus looked down at Ty with his cat eyes. Ty always found Magnus's eyes fascinating. He knew it was Magnus's warlock's mark, but they were still interesting. He looked at Ty differently than a person normally would. Ty couldn't really understand what it was, but Magnus looked almost sad. Ty had trouble understanding emotions, or just people in general. Julian usually explained things he didn't understand, but he didn't want to ask Julian to explain Magnus's emotions. Ty held out his letter, avoiding eye contact. He hoped Magnus would take it. Magnus took it, quickly examining the envelope the letter was in.
"I'll give this to Kit, but why not do it yourself?"
"Like you said a few months ago, Kit left without saying goodbye because he didn't want to see me. It's a mystery I can't solve. I had decided to give up on this case a while ago. The only conclusion I've come to is that Kit doesn't like me anymore."
     "Well, that may be true," Magnus said, bluntly.
     Ty was starting to like Magnus. He didn't try to hide things from Ty. He didn't try to protect him from being hurt. Magnus always told him the full truth, no matter how much it hurt. Ty already knew this fact about Kit not liking him anymore, but it still hurt hearing it again. He thought Kit was his friend. Maybe Kit was mad at him for raising Livvy. From what Ty could tell, Kit had seemed desperate to stop him. He checked to make sure no one was close enough to hear him.
     "Do you think it's because of Livvy?" Ty whispered.
     "It's quite possible."
     "Hey! I'm right here!" Livvy said, angrily.
     Magnus looked at Livvy, laughing. "We know, Livia."
     She made a noise to show her discontent.
     "Thank you, Magnus," Ty said.
     Magnus nodded. Ty decided he wanted to be alone in his room. The only person he would allow to go with him was Livvy. Ty pulled his headphones over his ears, blocking out his overwhelming thoughts. Livvy's ghost followed him through the crowd that was her family. Livvy wanted to go to the beach, but she couldn't leave without Ty, and Ty seemed busy at the moment. Livvy was not surprised when Ty went upstairs to his room. She followed him in, and Ty shut the door. Livvy watched Ty as he read one of his Sherlock Holmes books. She sat in silence, watching her twin brother. She loved him so much. Livvy wanted to ruffle his black, curly hair, but she knew she couldn't. She was a ghost. She wished she didn't have to be a ghost. She wanted to be alive. Not half alive, or whatever being a ghost is. She couldn't tell Ty that. He would blame himself for her unhappiness.
Ty already seemed stressed enough. She was learning now that he was trying to solve the mystery of Kit Herondale. He didn't talk about Kit much. Livvy wished he would. She missed Kit. He was one of the only people who could see her as a ghost. That wasn't the only reason she missed him. She missed him because she, Kit, and Ty made an awesome team. Anyway, Ty seemed to like Kit a lot. They seemed to be great friends, but that friendship ended recently. At least Ty wasn't too upset about it, at least from what he's told her. Whenever she brings up Kit, he ends the conversation immediately. Maybe he's more upset about Kit leaving than she thought.
Livvy wished Kit would just show up at the Los Angeles Institute one day, and live with the Blackthorns. She was sure that Jem and Tessa were taking good care of him, but she missed him, and Ty most likely missed him. She wasn't sure, though. Livvy was getting bored. She decided to read over Ty's shoulder.
She didn't particularly like reading Sherlock Holmes, but it was better than nothing. She preferred solving real mysteries with Ty. She remembered solving mysteries or talking about mysteries with Ty since she was little. He had always been a fan of reading and animals. When he was little, he would often curl up in a corner with his headphones and a book.
She remembered how the rules didn't allow Ty to wear his headphones on testing days. Livvy always hated that rule. If his headphones helped him, then why not let him use them? They'd help him be a better Shadowhunter. They chase away any distracting thoughts and let him focus. Ty saw the world differently than others, and people needed to understand that that didn't make him a bad Shadowhunter. In fact, Ty was a great Shadowhunter. He was very smart, and kind. He would do anything for the ones he loved. Livvy knew that from personal experience.
     Livvy hoped Ty would eventually tell her what was bothering him. She had a theory, but she still wasn't sure. The only one who knows what's bothering Ty, is Ty. Unless someone magically read his mind, which Livvy highly doubted. She was his twin sister. Twins tell each other everything. Livvy hoped that Ty trusted her enough to eventually talk about what was bothering him. Maybe he wasn't ready to tell anyone yet. She just hoped she'd be the first one to know when he was.