Chapter 6

Ty's head was filled with overwhelming thoughts.
What if Kit dies? What if I can't help him? What was he going to say?
Ty's vision was blurred with tears. He brushed them away to get a good look at Kit. He didn't seem to have any injuries. He would need someone else's help.
"Julian!" he called desperately. "Help!" He knelt down next to Kit, brushing his golden hair out of his face. Ty put on his headphones and whispered his calming words. "Crisp, scale, photo, leaf, crystal, Christopher, Kit," he whispered. He still couldn't keep the thought of Livvy dying out of his head. He had Livvy back, but he still remembered the pain of losing his twin. It was happening all over again. He was losing Kit. He pet Irene, trying to calm himself.
"Ty, what's—Kit!" Julian stared at Kit for a moment, his eyes filled with what Ty recognized as concern. He then picked Kit up in his arms and carried him back to the Institute. Ty followed close behind, making sure Kit was alright. If Kit died, Ty wouldn't be able to take it. He was his Watson. He was always there for him and he had saved everyone from whatever happened.
     Ty had been watching the Institute, waiting for Kit to come out of it. He had seen a bright light consume the Institute, leaving parts of it in pieces. Ty had hoped Kit was alright, knowing the chances were slim. Livvy had tried to comfort him, but he would only be calm if Christopher was alive. He had to be. Kit couldn't die on him. Not after Livvy. He prayed to the angel, begging for Kit to be alive. Soon enough, Kit had stumbled towards them. He had looked exhausted and had debris stuck in his hair. The words he said next kept replaying in his head.
Ty? Ty I—
     He had collapsed after that, leaving Ty and Livvy without a clue of what was wrong.
Julian placed Kit on an undamaged bed in the Institute. Kit was still breathing. Ty thanked the angel for that. Julian summoned Magnus and waited with everyone else by the Institute doors for his arrival. Ty remained with Kit, clinging to his hand desperately. His Watson couldn't die. He couldn't.
"Kit, please stay with me. Don't die on me. Crisp, scale, photo, leaf, crystal, Christopher, Kit." He watched Kit's chest rise and fall with every breath, praying that it would never stop. Kit's hand was unusually cold, but Ty still clung to it like it was a lifeline. Kit's hand was always warm, but somehow the warmth had been leeched out of him. "Christopher, please." He was sobbing. His tears were blurring his view of Kit, but he could still see his head of golden, curling hair. At that moment, Magnus walked in with Julian and Emma. Julian put his hand on Ty's shoulder. Ty knew this was a way to show affection, but it still made him uncomfortable sometimes.
     "Ty," Julian said gently.
     Why did Julian change his voice when bad things were happening? Why did he always try to soften the blow. Ty would rather just know the full truth than be protected from it.
     "Ty."
     He looked up at Julian. Ty didn't know exactly what he was feeling. Ty knew some of it was stress, but there was something else there that made him want to scream. He didn't know why. All he knew was that Kit could possibly be dying and that he couldn't let that happen. He imagined Kit dead, his piercing blue eyes closed forever, that bright smile gone. He let out a noise he had never made before. It was like a whimper. Ty buried his head in the bed cover, hoping, praying, that all of this would end. He wanted life to be normal again. He wanted Kit to hold him on the roof like he did so many years ago.
"Hold me," he whispered to Kit, knowing he wouldn't respond. A pair of arms wrapped around Ty, but they weren't Kit's. They were Julian's. He was being pulled away from Kit, his Watson. Ty didn't want to leave Kit. Kit would never leave him, and he knew that as a fact. Ty kicked at Julian, struggling against his grip.
"Let me go!" he screamed. He kicked again, screaming.
"Ty," Julian said urgently. "It's alright! Magnus will help him, I promise. You just can't be in the room while Magnus does his work." Ty struggled even more desperately.
"No! I need to be there for Kit! I need to be there!" he sobbed. "Please, Julian! I can't lose him too! I—I can't!"
Julian looked at him with what Ty recognized as pity. He nodded to Emma, who came over with her stele.
"No!" Ty screamed. Emma pressed her stele to his arm, Julian holding it still. He tried to pull it away, but Julian was strong. All he could do was scream for help while his brother and someone he considered sister—though not by blood—betrayed him. "I hate you!" he shrieked. "I hate you!"
Ty began to feel the effect of the rune. His rage began to vanish and was replaced with peacefulness. "Jules?"
"Shh, Ty. Everything will be alright."
"But, Kit." Ty began to feel himself drifting to sleep. He was alright with that.
"He'll be alright. Just sleep, Ty."
Ty nodded drowsily. "I'm really tired." He blinked, his eyelids growing heavier each time.
     "Everything will be alright, Ty."
     Ty looked around the room one last time. He couldn't really see much. His vision was getting really blurry. He gave up on that and everything went black.
                ***********
     Ty woke up in his bed, confused. Luckily his room hadn't been destroyed during the explosion. He remembered that happening. All of his memories came rushing back, the Institute being covered in a bright light, Kit blacking out on the beach, Julian and Emma taking him away from Kit. He sat upright in his bed, immediately regretting it. He felt very dizzy after that. Ty looked around his room and saw Julian sitting next to his bed.
     "Julian, what are you doing here?" he asked.
     "I'm just making sure you're okay."
     He was acting like he always did, like a supportive brother. But, Ty knew that Julian had betrayed him. He had taken him away from Kit, using the calm anger rune on him. Kit.
     "Is Kit okay?" he asked.
     "He isn't awake yet, but yes, he should be alright. Magnus helped him."
     "Can I see him?"
     Julian shook his head. "Magnus said no visitors. I'm sorry, Ty."
     "I don't understand," Ty said, shaking his head furiously. "If he's alright, wouldn't I be able to see him?"
     "Not necessarily, Ty. Magnus said it was best for no one to visit him yet."
     "When will he wake?"
     "Magnus estimated maybe a few hours."
"How long was I asleep?"
"You slept through the night."
Ty had slept through the entire night, without even checking on Kit. His brother had done this to him. Ty knew if Emma were in this situation, Julian would be acting the same exact way as he was now. Julian always broke the rules he set when it was convenient for him. It wasn't fair. Why couldn't Ty stay with Kit? What if Kit had died overnight while Ty was asleep? He hadn't, but what if he had. What if Ty had never been able to see Kit again before he died. Julian hadn't known if Kit would be alright. He had still taken Ty away from him without knowing for sure if Ty would ever see Kit alive again.
"You took me away from him," Ty said, his voice trembling with anger.
"I was only trying to help you and Kit. Magnus wouldn't allow anyone to be in the room while he did his magic." Ty detected a hint of desperation is his voice. Was Julian afraid of him?
"You forced me to leave him! Kit would never leave my side if I was in his position. I wasn't there for him! What if he's scared of his dreams while he sleeps? What if he feels alone and afraid? I could help him!"
"Ty, please. I know how awful this is for you. I have almost lost Emma too many times to count, but—"
"You refused to leave her side! You know how it feels to almost lose someone. Don't you understand why I have to see him?"
"I do understand, Ty, but I can't let you do it. Magnus won't allow it."
"Get out." Ty fidgeted with one of the toys by his bed. They helped him focus and chase away his overwhelming thoughts.
Julian looked hurt by what he said. Ty didn't care if he hurt Jules. He didn't care who he hurt as long as he got to see Kit. Ty didn't know why he was so desperate to see him. He knew Kit was okay, but he needed to see the proof. He needed to know for sure that Kit was safe.
"What?"
"Did you not hear me? I said get out!"
Ty knew he had broken Julian. He recognized many of the emotions displayed on Julian's face. He recognized sadness, worry, love—were those tears in his eyes? Had Ty gone too far? No. Julian had betrayed him. Ty had the right to show Julian why what he did was wrong. He had the right to show how angry he was.
Ty almost never fought with his siblings. It felt terrible, but great at the same time. Julian looked at Ty one more time before leaving, shutting the door behind him. Ty was alone. He could easily sneak into whatever room Kit was in. He'd have to check each room without being caught to find him.
     Ty stepped out into the hallway and stuck his head into every room, searching for a golden-haired boy. He checked Kit's room first, but it was a complete mess from whatever had happened. Maybe that would be Ty's next case. He peeked his head into every room until he came to the final room in the Institute. He opened the door and there he was, Kit Herondale. He looked so peaceful while asleep. Usually he was bright, like the sun. Ty stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. He hoped no one would come in and tell him to leave.
Kit was mumbling something while tossing and turning. Was he having a nightmare? Ty listened closely to what Kit was saying. He said many words, but the ones most commonly used were dad, mom, Livvy, Mina, and Ty. He was surprised how much his name showed up in Kit's mumbling. Beads of sweat were dripping from Kit's forehead. Ty took a towel and wiped it away.
"Ty!" Kit shouted. Tears were running down his face. His breathing was quick, going in and out in small puffs of air. He reached out with one arm, though what he was reaching for Ty didn't know.
"What is it?" Ty asked.
"Ty, please."
Ty couldn't take seeing Kit in pain. It hurt him to see Kit like this. He wanted the color to return to Kit's face. He wanted to see Kit's blinding smile. He wanted to hear Kit's voice again. Kit, Kit, Kit, Kit, Kit. Ty held Kit's hand in his, hoping it would comfort his bad dreams. The warmth had returned to his hand. Ty smiled. "You'll be alright, Christopher." He could see Kit relax a little. He wasn't sure if that was because of him, or because the bad dream was over. What Ty did know was that he would stay by Kit's side until he woke up. Ty would be there to fill Kit in on what he missed. He would do everything Kit needed him to do. He would be there for his Watson.
                                        ****************
Kit looked around. He was in his old home, hiding in the basement. His dad was doing some important business work. Jonny Rook never let Kit stay upstairs when he talked with his clients. He said it was 'dangerous.' Kit always obeyed, not wanting to disappoint his father. He wanted to be worthy of his love. Kit sat in the corner playing cards against himself. He was winning, obviously. Playing cards was boring when you played by yourself, but at least it was guaranteed you would win. His father had promised that he would play cards with Kit later, but he was beginning to doubt the likelihood of that happening. Jonny Rook always made promises that he never kept. What made this any different?
Maybe his father would allow him to go to the Shadow Market once his client was gone. Kit went there sometimes. He would either help his father with his booth, or go steal something. He'd gotten pretty good at stealing by now. Just as he was about to place the winning card, he was backed up against a wall and felt something cool on his throat. Kit felt his breath quicken. Was this how he would die? He looked at the boy holding the knife to his throat. He had black, curling hair and gray eyes. He looked determined. All Kit could think was, how beautiful.
"Are you Johnny Rook?" the boy asked. How could Kit possibly Johnny Rook? Did he really look that old?
"No."
"Then, who are you?"
"Keep guessing."
The boy looked at Kit more closely, but he didn't move the knife. Kit wished he would put the knife away.
"You're his son," the boy stated. It wasn't a question. The boy knew for sure that he was Johnny Rook's son. Just as Kit was about to respond, a voice interrupted him.
"Tiberius Blackthorn!" The door to the basement was open, and another boy stood there, clearly angry. The boy, who's name was Ty, slowly put the knife away.
"Don't be offended. It's just business." At that, Ty turned around and joined the other boy by the door. Kit could still feel the cold metal against his throat even though it wasn't there. He had almost died. How did the boy even get into the basement? Kit heard people talking and a door slamming shut. Whoever was just there, was gone.
That memory vanished and turned into another one. Kit was in the basement again, terrified. He had never been more terrified in his life. His father had just told him to go in the basement, sounding very frightened. His father was never frightened. That meant something bad had to be happening.
Kit heard the door being knocked down and heard strange screeching noises. His father was in trouble. He had to help him. Kit opened the doors and saw a praying mantis looking creature finish off his father. He was gone. Kit wanted to break down and cry, but he had caught the creatures' attention. They turned towards him and attacked. The memory vanished as quickly as it had appeared.
Kit was surrounded by fire, tears running down his face. Ty was chanting a spell. Kit was trying to stop Ty from doing whatever he was doing.
"Ty, don't do it! You're family will be destroyed if you raise her!"
"I can't be without her!"
"You have people who love you, Ty. Your family loves you. You can survive this together. That's what family is all about. They love you. I love you, Ty! I love you."
     Ty stared at him in shock, then finished raising his sister from the dead. Kit had never felt more betrayed. Ty had done it. He really did it. There was no going back. Everything went black as Kit's mind traveled to another dream.
     He was fighting a group of Mantid demons with Ty in a parking lot. They both had their seraph blades out, ready to fight. Kit hadn't told Ty this, but he was more terrified of Mantid demons than any other demon. They had killed his father. He was terrified of losing someone else to Mantid demons.
     Kit had marks all over his arms, mostly drawn by Ty. He had a stamina rune, a sure-striking rune, a silence rune, etc. Ty had been very thorough, making sure Kit had every rune that could possibly help him fight. Kit had done the same to Ty, making sure he was ready to fight. They were seriously outnumbered. There were about twelve demons and only two of them. The demons charged at them, arms raised. They're arms had pincers, like a praying mantis, but they were much more deadly. They were disgusting. Kit wished they just didn't exist.
Kit was proud of how well he was fighting. He was doing cool flips and tricks while he fought each demon. Kit was trying to get to Ty. They'd get more done if they fought together. He cut through each demon, desperate to get to Ty. Every demon disappeared with a splash of ichor. Kit was drenched, but it didn't burn since he had gear on. One of the demons cut his arm. Kit clenched his teeth, biting back the pain. He couldn't stop fighting yet. He'd have to heal the cut later. Once Kit was finished with all of his demons, he sprinted to Ty who was struggling. Most of the demons had gone for him instead of Kit.
"Stupid demons," Kit muttered.
Ty was focused on fighting. He hadn't even given Kit a glance, which was good because that would leave him open to attack. Kit knew that Ty knew he was there. One of the demons knocked Ty's blade out of his hand. It went flying across the parking lot, out of his reach.
"Ty!" Kit called, tossing him another seraph blade. Ty nodded and named the blade Gabriel. There was just one demon left now, but it was almost impossible to kill. It kept going after Ty no matter how much Kit tried to get it away from him. They were both growing tired. They're fighting skills weren't as good. The demon swung one of its arms at Kit, knocking him to the other side of the lot. He hit his head against a building, crumpling to the ground. Kit was barely conscious. He tried to push himself up. He needed to help Ty, but he couldn't get up. His vision was blurred and he was seeing spots. The only thing Kit saw clearly was the demon stab Ty with one of its pincers. He heard Ty's gasp.
"Ty!" he cried. This couldn't be happening. It couldn't. Not Ty. Ty couldn't die. The demon threw Ty to the side and returned to Kit. He felt more broken than ever, but he had a sudden surge of strength that helped Kit push up from the ground and finish off the demon. Once the demon was gone, he ran to Ty.
Ty was barely breathing. His eyes were turning glassy. Kit couldn't take it. Everyone he loved died. His mom died. His dad died. Livvy died, and now Ty was dying. Kit fumbled with his stele, drawing an iratze. It faded as soon as he finished it. No, no, no. By the angel, Raziel, please let Ty live. He drew another iratze. It faded quicker than the last. He kept drawing iratzes, but none of them worked. Ty's face grew paler by the second, his life draining away. Ty let out a rattling breath, reaching for Kit's stele.
"Stop," he whispered.
"But—"
"It's not going to work, Kit. Stop t-trying to save me. H-hold me."
Kit did as Ty asked, lifting him gently into his arms. "I can't live without you, Ty."
"You can and you will. Take care of my family for me, will you?"
Tears were streaming down Kit's cheeks. He couldn't lose Ty. He couldn't. "I-I'll bring you back. You did it for Livvy. I'll do it for you. I won't stop until you're my Sherlock again."
"I'll always be your Sherlock, Watson. Please don't bring me back. It could ruin you."
"I'll do whatever it takes. I can't live without you. I-I love you, Ty. I always have and always will."
Ty gave Kit a weak smile. "I love you too, Christopher." Ty let out one last shuddering breath. He went limp in Kit's arms, his gray eyes glassy, no longer holding wonder and knowledge. Ty was gone. Kit could feel his heart shatter into a million pieces. He screamed in agony. He had just lost Ty, the person he loved more than anything. He was gone. He couldn't protect him from a stupid Mantid demon. Now he had lost his father and Ty to Mantid demons. Ty.
Kit had never felt more full of rage. He wanted to burn the world down with it. He hugged Ty close to his chest, swearing to the angel that he would bring Ty back. Rain poured on the two of them, drenching Kit's hair. It went from golden to a dark brown. It went in front of his eyes, but he didn't push it away. Kit knew one thing for sure. He would bring Ty back, no matter what. Even if it destroyed Kit, he would do it. He needed to see Ty alive again. He needed to see the life in his gray eyes filled with wonder.
     "Ave atque vale, Tiberius Blackthorn," Kit whispered, closing Ty's eyes.
Kit could hear a familiar voice, calling his name. It was Ty's, but Ty was gone.
"Christopher," Ty's voice whispered. "Everything will be alright."
Kit realized what had happened. Everything that just happened was a dream. He was stuck in a dream. "Ty!" he called. Maybe the Ty outside of his dream could hear him. Kit needed to wake up. He had to get out of this terrible place. Everything disappeared. Ty's dead body vanished into thin air. The parking lot disappeared.
Kit's eyes flew open.
                                                           *****************
"Ty?"
Kit was blinking sleepily, taking in his surroundings. Kit was alive. Ty felt an overwhelming sense of joy flood his heart. "C-Christopher," he stuttered. "Y-you're alright!"
"Uh, yeah." Kit looked at Ty, confused.
"Is everything alright, Kit?"
Kit rubbed his head, ruffling his golden curls. "By the angel!"
     "What is it?"
     "How was that all a dream? It felt so real."
     "What happened? You were talking and screaming in your sleep. All I could do was watch you and try to help."
     Kit stared at the door, thinking back to what happened. "I went back to when we first met, when you held the knife to my throat."
     Ty could feel something burning in his cheeks. He looked at the white bedsheets, avoiding Kit's gaze. "That was just business."
     Kit laughed. "I know." Any trace of a smile vanished. "Then I went back to when my dad died."
     "Christopher—"
     "Then you and I were fighting Mantid demons." He paused for a moment, deciding whether or not to continue speaking. Ty could see the pain in Kit's eyes. He wished he could fix it, but he didn't know how. "Mantid demons killed my dad and they killed you," Kit continued.
     Ty wanted to reassure Kit. He wanted to make him know that everything was alright. Ty didn't know how to do it. He didn't know what Kit needed. "What do you need me to do to make you feel better?"
     "Hold me," he said, choking on tears he wouldn't let fall. "I need to know that you're real."
It was a strange request, but Ty could tell Kit was hurting. He had just relived the most painful moments of his life. Ty wished he could've been stuck with Kit and help him through the nightmares. At least they would've been there for each other. But Kit was awake now. All of the pain was over, wasn't it? Ty could only hope Kit wasn't still hurting, but he knew it couldn't be. The nightmares had opened up his barely healed wounds.
Ty got up onto the bed and wrapped his arms around Kit awkwardly. Kit was shaking from holding back his tears. Ty nodded, telling Kit he could cry however much he needed. One tear turned to a waterfall. Kit was shaking in Ty's arms, gasping for air through the tears. Kit's face was soaked and red, his golden hair a complete mess. Ty held onto Kit through it all, telling himself to never let Kit drown in his sorrows. He had been through so much, but had never shown anyone how he truly felt. Kit had opened up to Ty, allowing him to see how broken he really was. Seeing Kit like this made Ty's heart break. Unlike Kit, Ty didn't know how to comfort people. He didn't always understand what they were feeling or how to fix it.
"Ty, I'm alright," Kit said, sniffling and wiping away tears.
Ty held onto Kit even tighter, saying, "You're obviously not, Christopher. Would you like me to give you proof?"
Kit shook his head and let Ty attempt to comfort him. "You're the best," he said.
Ty knew Kit was over-exaggerating. Ty never understood why people did that. It could easily mislead someone, but Julian taught Ty what it all meant. Ty mostly understood that now. "Kit—"
Someone cut Ty off. "What are you doing in here, Tiberius?"
Kit and Ty jumped away from each other, Ty falling off the bed. Kit wiped away any leftover tears, trying to make it seem like he never cried. Ty knew he had. He had let down his walls and finally showed how he truly felt. Ty and Kit looked up to see Magnus, hands on hips, and wearing a very bright selection of clothes. Magnus had rings all over his fingers, and his hair was in glittery spikes. He wore eyeliner and some very noticeable purple eyeshadow to go with the purple outfit. His boots were black, but they still seemed bright, probably because they were covered in sparkles. Ty's eyes hurt from looking at Magnus. He decided to look at Kit's gray shirt. Kit didn't notice. He was busy having a stare down with Magnus.
"Magnus asked what you were doing in here," Kit whispered, helping Ty get up off the ground. Ty took a seat in the chair next to the bed, watching Kit like a hawk, making sure Magnus didn't hurt him. Ty didn't really trust Magnus. He especially didn't trust him with Kit.
"Oh, right." Ty still didn't look at Magnus as he spoke. He found it terrifying to look at people during a conversation sometimes. "I'm in here to see Kit."
"Didn't Julian tell you not to?" Magnus questioned.
"Not that I know of," Ty lied.
Magnus rolled his eyes. "Don't lie to me. Let's just get this over with. Ty, get out. Kit, rest."
"I'm not tired," Kit complained, hiding a yawn behind his hand. Magnus looked at the bags under Kit's eyes and shook his head.
"If you don't go back to sleep, Christopher Herondale, there will be an army of swans coming for you."
Kit gasped, eyes wide with fear. "Bloodthirsty little beasts! Never trust a swan!"
Ty couldn't help but laugh. How could anyone be afraid of swans? They were adorable creatures that deserved love.
"Wait a second. How do you know about my fear of swans?"
"Let's just say I have my ways."
"You monster."
"Yeah, yeah. Go back to sleep. And Ty, come with me."
Ty obeyed, leaving Kit and joining Magnus outside of the room. He felt wrong leaving Kit alone. What if Kit still needed him? He looked back at the door to Kit's room. Magnus pulled him away, Ty pulling his arm out of Magnus's grip. He barely knew Magnus and definitely didn't trust him. Magnus was a good person. Ty knew that, but something about him made Ty feel the need to protect the people he loved. He pulled his headphones over his ears, blocking out the thoughts racing in his head. Most of them were Kit related.
Ty hated leaving Kit alone when he was unwell. He wanted to support Kit and help him feel better. Of course, Kit would say he didn't need anyone's help. He was always so stubborn. For some reason, he wouldn't show weakness. Not even for a moment. At least, not in front of anyone. Ty wasn't sure why he did that. He didn't even have an idea of why. All he knew was that that was just Kit. Ty liked to think there was an explanation for everything, but he couldn't figure out Kit Herondale. He was like a big mystery that no one could solve.
"You can't disobey the rules like this, Ty. I told everyone not to visit Kit for a reason."
"What reason?" Ty asked. "He seems to be well. Physically, at least."
"He may need time alone to get over what happened. It can be terrifying to black out on a beach."
"I know, but wouldn't it be better for him to talk about it with someone he trusts?"
"Maybe, but that's not how it is for some people."
Ty nodded. "When will I be able to visit him?"
"Tonight if Kit says it's okay."
"How long until he'll be up and walking?"
"Hopefully tonight."
Ty wouldn't be able to visit Kit while he was stuck in that room. Kit would be alone, save the occasional check-in from Magnus. He would be alone with his pain. Ty wouldn't be there to hold his hand or wrap his arms around him. He wouldn't be there to support Kit. But, maybe Kit didn't want him. Maybe he wanted to be alone. Maybe he didn't trust Ty with his feelings. Maybe Kit didn't care about Ty anymore. Ty pushed those thoughts out of his head, hands fluttering by his side. He nodded and left Magnus behind.
     Livvy was waiting for Ty in his room, watching Irene intently. It seemed as if Irene knew Livvy was there. Was that possible? Ty still hadn't figured that out. Ty closed the door and jumped onto his bed. He had a lot of time to kill, but Ty didn't know what to do. All he could think of was Kit.
     "You could read a Sherlock Holmes book," Livvy suggested.
     Ty shook his head. "I can't focus on that right now. Even with the music, all I can think about is Kit."
     Livvy smiled, but Ty couldn't understand why. Wasn't she worried about Kit too?
"If Kit's the only thing you can think about, we could talk about him." She paused. "Only if you want to, of course."
"Why would we talk about him behind his back?" Ty was confused why Livvy wanted to talk about Kit when he wasn't there. She knew Kit just as well as he did. There wasn't anything he knew that she didn't know.
"No, no, no. We're not going to do that, Ty-Ty. I was thinking we could talk about things we love about him. You have nothing better to do, so why not do this?"
He didn't have to do what his sister suggested, but he loved Livvy. If it made her happy, he would do it for her. Ty nodded and Livvy grinned.
"Alright, I'll go first," Livvy said, clapping her hands in excitement. "I love Kit's sarcasm."
Ty began to question why he agreed to do this. He normally wasn't very good at expressing his feelings. Ty shook his head saying, "Livvy, I can't do this."
Livvy pouted, crossing her arms. "Come on, Ty-Ty. It'll help pass the time."
Ty sighed. "Alright."
"Your turn! What do you love about Kit Herondale?"
Ty thought for a moment. What was he going to say? He couldn't say he loved Kit's piercing blue eyes, or golden hair. He found staring into Kit's eyes calming. His eyes were like an ocean. Ty found the ocean fascinating. He decided to say something simple. "I like how Kit is my Watson."
Livvy scrunched her face up, pretending to show disgust. "Booooorrrring! But, I'll accept it for this round."
Ty laughed. His sister always knew how to make him smile. Livvy's game went on for hours. Ty didn't love the game, but if it made his sister happy, he was happy. Livvy was always there for him. He wanted to be there for her. They were twins. Twins protect each other.
********************
     Kit sat in bed, looking out the window. Magnus had told him he could leave the room around dinner time. Kit was counting down the hours until then. Occasionally, he would take a nap. He hadn't known how exhausted he was when Ty was in the room. He had wanted to stay awake and show Ty that he was alright. That hadn't ended well. He had ended up sobbing, in front of Ty. That was so embarrassing. Kit wondered if Ty still thought of him the same way. Did Ty think he was weak? He hoped not.
     After Ty had left, Magnus came back in and told him to go back to sleep. Kit had protested, saying he wasn't tired, but he really was. Kit ended up falling asleep mid-conversation. When he was awake, he thought of his nightmares. He often wished Ty was around to comfort him. No matter how hard it was to admit, he couldn't go through this alone. He had realized that after sobbing into Ty's shoulder. He had relived his father's death and meeting Ty for the first time. He then saw something that hadn't happened. He had watched Ty die. Seeing that Ty was okay once he woke up was a great relief, but Kit was still broken from seeing him die in a dream. Even if it wasn't real, it still hurt.
     Kit watched as the sun lowered into the ocean. That reminded him of Ty's life draining away, the brightness in his eyes disappearing. He remembered Ty's dark, lifeless eyes staring up at him. He had done everything he could to heal him. The iratzes hadn't worked, no matter how many he drew. Ty had died in his arms, leaving Kit to live without him. Kit wondered what would have happened if he hadn't woken up, if Ty's voice hadn't guided him back to consciousness. He would have raised Ty from the dead, just like Ty raised Livvy, or worse, like how Malcom Fade had raised Annabelle. Kit was sure he would've done anything to bring Ty back. That scared him.
     Magnus waltzed into the room without knocking. Kit glared. Magnus had sent Ty away from him when he needed him most. Kit knew he meant well, but couldn't help holding a bit of a grudge.
     "What do you want, Magnus?" he asked.
     "You may go now. Run! Return to your Blackthorn family!" He gestured wildly with his arms.
     "They're not my family," Kit pointed out.
     "Family isn't limited by blood."
     Kit got up out of bed, a little unsteady on his feet. He was still a bit dizzy for some reason. Magnus offered to help him, but Kit turned him down. He could deal with dizziness. He stumbled awkwardly to Ty's room, almost tripping over his own feet. It felt like it had been forever since he'd last seen Ty, but it had only been a few hours. He heard Livvy's laughter along with Ty's. He heard their muffled voices through the door.
"I love Kit's golden hair." That was Livvy's voice as far as he could tell.
"I like how when he's really tired he wears his shirt inside-out." That was definitely Ty. He knew Ty's voice anywhere.
Kit looked down at his shirt, checking to see if it was inside-out. It was not, luckily. Usually when he was tired, his shirt was either on backwards or inside-out. Kit knocked on the door. Livvy and Ty went silent. He heard a shuffling of feet and saw the door open. It was Ty, gray eyes bright with joy. Usually Ty guarded his emotions, not showing them to others, but there were rare moments when they showed clearly on his face, when he was vulnerable.
"You've been very busy, I see," Kit said. "Talking about Kit Herondale is a very important job, yet not difficult."
Ty's cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "It was—It was Livvy's idea."
He heard Livvy burst into laughter behind Ty. "We were trying to kill time," she explained.
Kit nodded in understanding. He was surprised that Ty had agreed to Livvy's idea. For some reason, he felt himself blushing. Ty stepped away from the door, allowing Kit to enter. Irene leaped off of his bed and rubbed her fur against Kit's legs, purring. Kit's dizziness had gone away and was replaced by a pit in his stomach. He felt as if he were falling and couldn't stop. Kit couldn't keep his mind off of what happened in his nightmares. He tried to stop thinking about it, but he couldn't.
     Livvy noticed something wrong with Kit almost immediately. "Kit, are you alright?"
     "You seem—" Ty paused, searching for the correct word. "You seem kind of off."
     Kit nodded vigorously. "Yeah! I'm fine! What made you think something was wrong?"
     "You just seem different than usual," Livvy answered.
     They didn't believe him. Kit sighed. "I'm still a little bit shaken after what happened in my dreams."
     Livvy looked at him questioningly. Ty shot her a look and she nodded.
     "Is there anything I can do to help?" Ty asked, hands fluttering at his side. His headphones were resting on his neck, waiting to be used.
     "I don't know, Ty."
     "Would talking about it help? Sometimes it helps people, sometimes it doesn't. Whatever you need, Kit."
     Kit had hidden his terror from everyone today. If anyone asked him if he was alright, he would reassure them and hide how he was truly feeling. He trusted Ty and Livvy with this. Maybe they could help him. It would be nice to let everything out and talk to someone about what happened. Kit knew Livvy and Ty would try their best to help him. He always tried to go through things alone, but this, he knew for sure he could not. He needed Ty for some reason. He hadn't seen Ty in three years, yet he still needed him. He still loved him.
     "I think it would help," Kit said, sweeping his hair out of his face.
     Ty nodded and pat a space next to him on his bed. Kit joined Ty who was watching him intently, ready to listen. He took a deep breath, running the nightmare through his head so he wouldn't forget anything.
     "Well, I already told you about reliving when I first met you and when my dad died. I also vaguely told you what happened in my last nightmare." Kit couldn't believe he was doing this. What if Livvy and Ty hated him for telling them? What if they laughed at it? No. They wouldn't do that. "Ty and I were fighting Mantid demons in a parking lot. I fought to get to Ty because all of the demons were going after him. When there was one demon left, it knocked your blade out of your hand. I threw you a new one and the demon knocked me to the other side of the parking lot." Kit paused, fighting back tears. Ty looked at him with his beautiful, gray eyes. He felt as if they were staring into his soul, learning every secret Kit had. Kit was okay with that. He wanted Ty to know everything. "Th-th-the demon stabbed you and threw you to the side. I killed the demon and ran to you. I drew so many iratzes, but none of them worked." Tears were running down Kit's face, wet and hot. He knew he looked terrible, but he didn't care. Kit was shaking. Ty wrapped his arms around him, holding him steady. Kit felt a wave of calm roll over him. He stared into Ty's gray eyes. Ty stared back. His gaze was strong and unwavering, giving Kit the support he needed to continue. "You told me to stop trying to save you. You told me to hold you. I held you in my arms and I swore that I would bring you back. You told me not to. You warned that it could ruin me, but I didn't listen. I kept saying I would do whatever it took until you were my Sherlock again. We said a few last words before you died. I had never felt so angry. I felt as if I could burn the world down." Ty wiped a tear from Kit's cheek. "I-I heard your voice calling to me. That's when I woke up."
Everyone was silent, not knowing what to say. Kit felt weak and drained of energy. He felt as if he couldn't sit up on his own. He rested his head on Ty's shoulder, closing his eyes. Ty held onto Kit, keeping him steady. They stayed like that until Kit's strength returned. When Kit was thinking clearly again, he leaped away from Ty in horror. Ty looked at him, confused.
"I-I'm sorry, Ty," Kit said. "I know you don't like to be surprised like that."
"It's alright."
Kit's thoughts returned to how he had just rested his head on Ty's shoulder. How could he have let himself do that? He was making it obvious that he still had feelings for Ty. If Ty didn't pick up on it—which he hoped he didn't—then Livvy definitely did. He looked at Livvy, searching for any sign of her knowing how he felt. He didn't see anything different about Livvy, but that didn't mean she didn't know. Kit retreated to the door.
"I have to go check on Mina, but I'll see you at dinner!" he said quickly, already halfway out the door. He closed the door behind him and found Mina waiting for him in her room.
"Kit!" she shouted excitedly. She ran up to him and gave him the biggest hug ever, squeezing tightly. "I was so worried! I thought you were going to die! Magnus wouldn't let me visit you no matter how much I begged."
Kit smiled softly. "I'm okay now, Min-Min. Are you ready for dinner? I'm starving."
Mina giggled, releasing Kit from her iron grip. They joined the Blackthorn family at the dinner table. Mina sat next to Mark, who was taking everyone's straws, screaming,
"Save the turtles!"
Everyone laughed, Mark not understanding what they found so funny. Kit took his usual seat next to Ty who was already eating. Julian had ordered pizza from the reopened Taki's. It wasn't the same owner. Someone else bought the store and reopened it. Kit grabbed three pieces from the box. They were gone within seconds, Kit's stomach still empty. Other people still had to eat and Kit didn't want to take all of the pizza. He decided he could always have a midnight snack. His stomach growled loudly enough for Ty to hear. Ty looked at Kit and nodded towards the pizza.
"You haven't eaten all day," he said. "You should eat more if you're still hungry."
Kit felt his cheeks turn red, then reached for more pizza. He was grateful for Ty telling him to eat more. He was still starving. Once he was finished, he turned to Ty who was laughing quietly. Kit raised his eyebrows at him.
"You should've told me you were hungry earlier," he said through laughs. "I would've gotten you whatever food you wanted."
"Does that offer still stand?"
Ty shook his head. "Get your own food, Watson."
"But, I'm deathly ill," Kit whined, coughing.
"No you're not."
Kit pouted. Ty rolled his eyes.
"Fine. I'll get you whatever food you want in the morning."
Kit cheered. "I want donuts."
"Alright," Ty laughed. "Whatever you say, Kit."
Kit's heart fluttered. He felt as if he could fly. He loved the sound of his name coming from Ty's lips. He couldn't explain why. It sounded so much better when Ty said it. Since Kit's beach plans were ruined by an unfortunate event, he planned on going tomorrow morning, unless he passed out again and had to stay in bed all day. He wanted to take Ty with him, but he didn't know how to ask. He didn't want it to be awkward or anything. He didn't want anyone thinking they were together. Not that anyone would. Ty didn't feel that way about him. Kit was okay with that. He would always be there for Ty, like Ty was there for him. Ty was his Sherlock and Kit was Ty's Watson.