Chapter 25

Julian paced the floor of his room, unable to calm himself down. No one was hurt; everything was fine. Julian shouldn't have been worrying, but he couldn't make that feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach go away. He had always known that his siblings would grow up—that was part of life. But Julian hadn't expected time to go by so fast. Too fast.
    Dru wasn't a little girl anymore, and Julian knew that. He just didn't want anyone in his family to get hurt. He still found it hard to believe that little Ty had a boyfriend. The fact that Dru might be next was terrifying. Ash Morgenstern had come to visit her, and Julian didn't know what to think. He knew that he should give Ash a chance, but he didn't like the idea of Dru's heart being broken. It was bound to happen at some point, but it didn't have to happen yet. Julian just wanted a bit more time. He needed to prepare himself for what was coming; his siblings were growing up, and he wasn't ready.
    He clenched his fists at his sides, his nails digging into the palms of his hands. Everything would be okay, he told himself. It was true. Things might be changing, but sometimes change was good. He just had to let it happen.
    There was a knock before the door to his room opened and Emma stepped through. He immediately relaxed a bit. Her presence always made everything better.
    "Jules?" she asked, looking at him worriedly. "Are you alright?"
    Julian nodded. "Do you ever feel like everything is moving too fast and you can't keep up?"
    Her smile lit up the room. Julian had seen Emma smile millions of times, but that didn't make it any less beautiful. "Thinking about Dru?" she asked, elbowing him playfully.
    "Not just Dru, but yes," he replied, elbowing her back. "I don't trust this Ash guy."
    "Those are just your older brother instincts," she said, tucking a loose strand of her behind her ear. "If you didn't feel that way, that would be a problem."
    Julian laughed, and reached for Emma's hand. He loved the feeling of not having to hide his love for her anymore. Every day, it still felt like a miracle. Emma was a miracle. She was perfect, and Julian was lucky to be the one she chose. He was so lucky.
    "I know Dru will make good decisions," Julian said. "I just don't want her to get hurt."
    Emma smirked. "If Ash hurt her, she would probably chop his head off without a second thought."
    "I know," he said, feeling a swell of pride for his little sister. She was always so strong, and she would be a great Shadowhunter one day. She already was a great Shadowhunter.
    "And Ty is happy with Kit," she said. "Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner."
Julian smiled a bit. "They do seem to be perfect for each other. They've always had a connection."
"Like us," Emma said, and Julian felt her lips on his. They were soft and warm. Julian would never tire of kissing Emma. He loved her, and he couldn't believe that they were going to be married. He loved dating Emma, but something about being her husband made it even better. He wanted it to be official.
Julian ran a hand through Emma's silky hair, letting it run through his fingers. Emma's finger traced letters on his arm, her touch leaving sparks on his skin.
I  L-O-V-E  Y-O-U
He couldn't fight back the smile that tugged at the corners of his mouth. "I still can't believe you said yes," he murmured, kissing her neck.
She grinned. "I can. You're the only person I want. I just can't believe that we're going to be married." Emma's hands were in his hair, and he never wanted this moment to end.
"I love you so much, Em," he said. "I'll love you until the day I day, and beyond then. I'll love you forever. Forever isn't even enough to describe how much I love you."
Emma's eyes lit up with joy, and Julian wanted to kiss her again. He wanted to hold her in his arms until the end of time. "I love you more."
Julian raised an eyebrow. "Is that a challenge, Carstairs?"
She smirked. "It is, Blackthorn."
"Are you sure you want to do that?"
She nodded. "You know I'll win."
"I seriously doubt that."
Emma laughed, and kissed him gently. Julian's heart fluttered, and he closed his eyes. The only thing he could think about was Emma: her hair, her voice, her laugh, her determination, her courage, everything. Emma. Emma was truly amazing, and Julian would never forget that.
"I wonder what everyone will think when we tell them," she said, smiling.
Julian had almost forgotten. He still had to tell his family about his engagement to Emma. It wasn't that he didn't want to; he had honestly forgotten. Now that he'd thought about it, he couldn't wait to tell his family. He knew that they would be happy. They would be more than happy, and Julian couldn't wait for them to hear the news.
"They'll be so excited," Julian said, grinning. "They love you, Em. You're their older sister."
"I can't wait to tell them. This family is everything to me." She gasped. "I haven't even told Tina!"
Julian laughed, taking Emma's hand in his. "We're really getting married."
"And we haven't done a bit of planning." Emma smacked his shoulder. "Unless you want this wedding to be a disaster, we should probably start that."
Julian had always thought that if he couldn't marry Emma, he wouldn't marry at all. Marriage had become a dream that would never come true for him. But now, it was happening. It was real. They were planning their wedding, and his dream was finally coming true. Julian couldn't be happier.