Chapter 11

Ty woke to the sound of footsteps and loud voices. He blinked a few times until his vision was no longer blurred. There was a Faerie guard in the cell. Ty leaped to his feet, stepping in front of Kit—who was still asleep—to defend him. He had gotten used to the fact that he didn't have any weapons. The fey had taken everything out of his pockets, including his phone and stele; not that either of those objects would work in Faerie. Ty raised his fists, hoping he wouldn't need to fight.
"Ty?" Ty turned to find Kit, barely awake, and struggling to keep his eyes open. "What's going on?"
"There's a Faerie guard here," Ty explained.
Kit pushed himself to his feet and joined Ty by the cell entrance. Now was the time to run. The Faerie guard had opened up the cell, and Ty didn't want to lose his chance to return to his family. But, where would he run to? He had no where to go, and didn't know his way around Faerie. The guard stepped forward and grabbed Kit's arm. He struggled against the guard's grip, but eventually gave up. Ty rushed forward to help Kit, but the guard raised his sword, threateningly. He backed out of the cell with Kit, vines regrowing to create the cell.
     Ty shouted Kit's name until he realized how pointless it was. No one would hear him, or care. He prayed to the Angel that Kit was alright. Twin, glass, apple, breeze, window, bike. Ty wished his headphones hadn't been taken away; they would've been helpful in that moment. He wished none of this had ever happened. He wished he were back home at the Los Angeles Institute with his family, but there he was, sitting in a prison cell, alone. Ty wasn't sure how long he had been in Faerie, but he was already homesick.
What if I'm here for years? Ty thought. He quickly shook his head. He couldn't think like that, not now. He would get out of the cell. He would return home, with Kit, alive. Ty knew that the odds of that happening weren't great. He had nothing; no plan, no stele, no phone, no seraph blades, nothing.
     The guard returned with Kit and threw him into the cell, along with a platter. Ty ignored the platter and ran over to Kit. His eyelids were fluttering open and closed. He shook Kit, lightly, but it had no effect. Ty began to panic. What had the fey done to Kit?
     "So—tired," Kit groaned.
Ty sighed and looked at the platter on the ground. It was filled with assorted fruits. There were two cups—made of tree bark—filled with water. He knew better than to eat Faerie food, but it was tempting. He was hungry, but knew he would survive for at least three weeks without eating. He wouldn't survive as long without water. He'd survive about three to four days. Ty didn't like the sound of that. He would eventually have to drink the water provided.
     "Don't eat anything," Ty said to Kit. "Faerie food can be dangerous."
     Kit nodded and weakly pushed the platter to the other side of the cell.
     "What did they do to you?" Ty asked.
     Kit shrugged. "They gave me," he yawned, "a potion."
"What kind of potion?" Ty asked, gently, trying to stay calm.
"I dunno." Kit closed his eyes, but Ty shook him awake.
"I'm assuming it was a sleeping potion, meaning a stamina rune should fix you." Ty reached into his pocket for his stele, then realized it wasn't there. "Alright, just stay awake."
He nodded and rested his head against the back wall. Whenever he started to fall asleep, he would pinch himself. That method happened to work, but Kit was too tired to do anything other than stay awake. Livvy wasn't much use, either. Ty had to come up with a plan first. Then, he would figure out how Livvy could help. She obviously hated being useless. She had said it many times, and each time, Ty told her it wasn't her fault.
"But, it's my fault that I died," she would say. Ty would shake his head and tell her that Annabelle was the reason she was dead. Then, he would push the thought of that day out of his mind. It was the worst day of his life, and he would never forget it, the day his twin sister—that was meant to be there for him forever—died. Shortly after, Kit left. After Livvy's death, everything had started falling apart. Just when Ty thought things might be getting better, he got stuck in Faerie without his family.
Ty was glad his family wasn't there. That would mean they were all stuck, but he still missed them. There would be no pancakes on Friday. Ty wasn't even sure when Friday was. He hated not knowing. He didn't know how to get out of the cell, and if he ever did, he didn't know how to get out of Faerie. He didn't know how long he'd be stuck in the cell. He didn't know if he'd ever see his family again. Julian, Mark, Helen, Tavvy, Dru, Livvy, and Emma. He hoped they were alright. The last time Ty had seen them was in the middle of a battle.
Ty began to think of ways to destroy the vines. There was nothing in the cell to cut the vines with. Ty doubted anyone would be able to find them. His family most likely knew what had happened, but they would have to travel to Faerie and find wherever Ty and Kit were. Definitely somewhere on Seelie land, but where exactly, Ty didn't know. His family would have to find a way to the cell without being caught, and sneak out. Ty didn't like those odds. He and Kit would have to save themselves.