Chapter 17

Ty had never imagined kissing Kit would feel like this. It was much better than he had ever imagined. If he had ever imagined it. Ty knew now that he loved Kit. His feelings for him were confirmed and he no longer doubted them. He was in love with Kit Herondale and Kit Herondale was in love with him.
    Ty knew that he would have to tell his family eventually, but he didn't have to just yet. He wanted their relationship to be their own without his family interrupting. His family always meant well, but if they knew that he was in love, they would fuss over it. Ty didn't want that extra attention. Not yet.
    This moment was perfect. The ocean was crashing against the shore, drenching their feet and the moon was bright. Ty kissed Kit lightly and then led him away from the water. He lowered himself to the ground and laid on his back, watching the stars. Kit joined him and they watched the stars together. Ty could see shapes in the stars and recognized some of the constellations. He had once found constellations very interesting and done research on them. He still remembered most of what he had studied.
    "That one looks like a heart," Kit said, pointing towards the sky. Ty looked in that direction and smiled a little. He loved this. Being with Kit, watching the stars. It was perfect. "Can I hold your hand?"
    Ty nodded and Kit grabbed his and in his own. Kit's hand was warm and soft. It was calming and reminded Ty that he was there for him.
    "I'm never leaving you again," Kit said, squeezing his hand gently. Ty knew that Kit couldn't promise that, but it was still nice to hear the words. Kit was never going to leave him willingly. There was no predicting the future and Ty hated that. Something terrible could happen that would tear Kit away from him. That's what had happened with Livvy. Ty had never even thought of what would happen if he lost her. He had almost never thought of the possibility of it happening. Now, he couldn't imagine what would happen if he lost Kit again. Ty wasn't sure if he could take it.
    "I love you, Kit," Ty whispered just loud enough for Kit to hear. The words were still new to him. He almost never said 'I love you' to anyone, but when he was with Kit, it came easily.
    "I love you too, Ty."
    Ty couldn't hold back a smile. Kit loved him and he loved Kit. Ty hoped that it would stay that way.

    The next morning, Ty felt as if everyone was watching him. Dru kept smirking at him and Kit and Ty wondered if she told anyone about what happened. She had walked in on her brother and friend kissing. Ty wasn't sure if she would tell anyone or not. Kit had asked her not to, but Ty still wasn't sure. Dru had seemed happy to see him kissing Kit. Maybe she told someone immediately after it happened.
    That wouldn't matter, Ty told himself. His family would find out eventually, anyway. He just didn't want them to know yet. He wanted Kit to himself for at least a little while. It was selfish, Ty knew, but he still felt that way.
    "Good morning, Ty," Dru said, smirking. She looked at Kit and then back at Ty. Ty sighed and felt blood rising to his cheeks. Dru laughed to herself like she knew a secret that no one else did. Well, that was true. She knew about what had happened between him and Kit. They had kissed. While Kit was having an emotional crisis. Ty hadn't been scared of him losing control of his magic. Most people would have been, but Ty trusted Kit. Even after everything. And Kit trusted him. He had trusted him enough to let Ty help him.
"Good morning Ty," Kit said, hesitantly reaching for his hand. Ty held Kit's hand for a moment, giving it a quick squeeze before they both let go. Someone would notice if they kept holding hands. Then everyone would know about their relationship.
Ty saw Dru smirk at them, eyebrows raised. Kit glared at her and went off to find breakfast. Ty had already eaten, so he took his usual seat next to Kit and waited for him to finish. Breakfast went as it normally did, but it felt like everything was different to Ty. Maybe because it was. He was dating Kit. He had kissed Kit. Dru had walked in on them. He could still feel the embarrassment, but he didn't regret kissing him. He would never regret that. He just wished Dru hadn't seen it.
    What would Julian think? Ty knew that Julian would be happy that he found someone to love. He wouldn't care, but Ty couldn't help but feel scared to tell him about Kit. Julian would never judge him. Ty knew that. But it was still terrifying to think of telling him. Ty didn't even know what he would say. Would he have to say anything? Or could he just kiss Kit in front of him. Ty didn't know what to do. He still had time to think of how to tell Julian. He had a much time as he and Kit wanted.
Once Kit was done eating, they went to the training room. Kit tossed Ty a wooden staff and smiled brightly.
"Are you ready to lose?" Kit asked, playfully swinging the staff in his hand.
"I'm not sure I'll be the one losing," Ty said, getting into a fighting position.
Kit shrugged and did the same. Ty waited patiently for Kit to make the first move. Kit lunged at Ty, swinging his staff and Ty leaped out of the way. Ty swung his staff at Kit's legs, but Kit dodged the attack. Kit was smiling and so was Ty. This was another one of those perfect moments. Even though they were fighting, it didn't feel like a fight. It felt more like a game than training.
Ty dodged another one of Kit's attacks, doing a backflip to get out of the way. He swore he could hear Kit gasp.
"You're so beautiful," Kit panted.
Ty felt a blush creep up to his cheeks and Kit took that moment to attack. Ty barely stepped out of the way on time. Kit's staff grazed his leg, but Ty didn't feel much pain. It was nothing compared to the pain he'd felt before.
Was Kit trying to distract him? Because it was working. Ty hated to admit it, but it was definitely working. Two could play at that game.
Ty did a backflip to avoid getting hit by Kit's staff and brushed a strand of hair out of his face. "You look really beautiful right now," Ty said. "But that's nothing new." Kit blushed, and Ty took that chance to swing his staff at his legs. Kit fell to the ground and Ty immediately placed his staff on his chest to keep him down.
"Do you give up?" Ty asked.
Kit laughed. "No." At that, he grabbed the staff Ty was holding and pulled it, bringing Ty along with it. Ty landed hard on the ground beside Kit. Kit quickly rolled on top of Ty to keep him from getting up. Ty looked into Kit's eyes and saw them sparkle with a wonderful light. After a moment, he rolled over onto Kit.
"Now do you give up?"
Kit laughed again. "You really want to win, don't you?"
"Is that a yes?"
Kit paused, thinking for a moment. "I don't think so." He reached up and placed his hand on Ty's face. Ty leaned into the touch. He could feel the sweat on Kit's hand, but didn't care.
"Don't try to distract me," Ty said, pulling away from Kit's touch.
Kit raised an eyebrow. "Is it working?"
Ty blushed slightly and Kit smirked. He leaned towards Ty, slow enough for the kiss to not take him by surprise. Ty didn't back away. He wanted to kiss Kit again, even if that meant losing the fight. Their lips collided and Ty closed his eyes. It was like an electric shock had gone through his body.
"I love you," Kit whispered against Ty's lips. Ty couldn't stop himself from smiling. He ran a hand through Kit's golden curls. Kit rolled over on top of Ty again and smirked. "I win," he said.
    Ty shook his head and rolled over again. "I win."
    Kit sighed, but he was smiling. It was one of those rare smiles that lit up his entire face that made Ty fall in love with him even more. "I guess so," he said.
    Ty could feel Kit's hand in his hair and kissed him gently. He pulled away and found himself staring into Kit's eyes. They were fascinating. Everything about Kit was fascinating, Ty decided. Everything about him was perfect. At least, everything about him was perfect to Ty. Kit was flawed, but that's what made him so perfect. His flaws.
    "I love you," Kit said. Ty grinned when he heard the words. He didn't think he'd ever get used to hearing them. Especially from Kit, the boy he loved. He was in love with Kit Herondale. He was kissing Kit Herondale. And it was perfect. Everything was perfect, if only for a moment.
    Ty knew that he would always love Kit. He was his Kit. And he was Kit's. Ty had missed his Kit more than he realized. Having him now reminded Ty of what it was like to lose him. It was a horrible feeling that never left him alone. When Kit was emotionless, he constantly missed him. He had missed the Kit he used to be. Now, he was here. And Ty couldn't be more happy.
Once they left the training room, Ty changed into less sweaty clothes. He quickly fixed his hair before returning downstairs to his family. Kit was already there and Ty almost stopped in his tracks. He was truly beautiful. His golden hair shone in the light and he was smiling one of his beautiful smiles. Ty joined Kit and listened in on the conversation he was having with the family. Kit never talked much to the other Blackthorns. He mostly listened to the conversations they had and went along with it. Ty usually did that as well. Sometimes he didn't even listen; he just read.
"Are you feeling alright, Kit?" Julian asked, gently. Ty wondered what was going on. Kit was fine.
"I'm fine," Kit replied, smiling. Julian didn't seem to believe him. He raised an eyebrow.
"You know that you can tell us anything, right?"
Kit nodded. "I'll be sure to tell you if I suddenly feel as if I am going to puke."
Julian grimaced and Kit laughed. Ty loved the sound of his laughter. It was so light and carefree, as if nothing were weighing him down. But Ty knew that that wasn't true. He had been through so much pain, but when he laughed, it was as if that pain didn't exist.
Kit walked away from Julian and Ty followed. They were in the library now, sitting at one of the tables.
"What was Julian asking?" Ty asked.
"He just thinks I've been acting weird, which is true."
"He doesn't know about what happened, does he?"
"That we kissed or that I was emotionless?" Kit asked. Ty blushed a little and Kit smiled. "He doesn't know about either."
"Is he catching on?" Ty wasn't sure why he was worried. He didn't want Julian to know about Kit's emotionlessness, but he couldn't explain why.
"Maybe," Kit said. "He asked if I've been to Magnus recently."
Julian was definitely catching on. Ty knew that there was no hiding this from Julian. He often knew when something was wrong with someone, especially if they were family. Julian hadn't had enough time to notice before they had been captured, but he must have caught on once they'd returned home. That was one of Julian's gifts: reading people.
"What did you tell him?" Ty asked.
"I told him that I haven't seen Magnus in what feels like forever, which is sort of true. It felt like I was in Faerie for ages, which means that it felt like forever since I last saw Magnus."
Ty laughed. "You could've just lied."
"I don't like lying to people I consider my friends."
Ty rested his head on Kit's shoulder and closed his eyes. He could feel Kit's hand in his hair, playing with it gently. He could hear Kit breathe and hoped that he would never see him dead. He never wanted to see the life leave Kit's eyes. He wouldn't be able to bear it. Ty pushed those thoughts out of his head and focused on the living and breathing Kit in front of him. Kit was alive and Ty was in love with him. Ty smiled at the thought and listened to Kit's breathing.