Chapter 21

Kit couldn't be happier. The past few days had been some of the best days of his life. He had kissed Ty. It still didn't feel real. He had kissed Ty, and Ty hadn't pulled away. He hadn't rejected him again. They were boyfriends. Kit was waiting for the dream to end. It had been days since he kissed Ty, and he still hadn't woken up. Maybe it wasn't a dream. Maybe it wasn't too good to be true.
"Christopher Herondale!"
Kit almost jumped when he heard Dru call his name. What did she want now? Kit slowly got up off of the ground and left his room. Dru was waiting for him in the kitchen. She was laughing. Why was she laughing?
"You look like you've seen a ghost, Kit!" she said, laughing again.
He sighed. "Hearing you yell my name out of no where is quite scary."
"You're scared of me?" she asked, incredulously.
Kit nodded. Dru could be very scary if she wanted to be, especially when she was angry. Kit feared that she would kill him one day. If he did something that bothered her slightly, she might kill him. She was a good fighter, and gave the worst death glares. Whenever she glared at him, Kit felt as if he could die on the spot. Dru Blackthorn was not someone he wanted to anger.
Dru laughed. "You should be."
"Why did you call me down here?" Kit asked, growing impatient. He just wanted to go back to his room and think about Ty; maybe read a book, or train.
"Oh, I just wanted to tell you that I'm happy for you and Ty," she said.
Kit's heart fluttered at the mention of Ty. Ty was so perfect and beautiful. He was kind, smart, and just amazing. Kit was in love with him, and knew that his feelings for Ty would never end. "Thanks Dru, but did you have to make me come all the way down here to tell me that?" Kit knew that he sounded lazy. He was a Shadowhunter. He fought demons for a living. Therefore, when he had time to relax, he wanted to sit and do nothing. That made perfect sense.
Dru rolled her eyes. "I never had the chance to last night, so I'm telling you now. Also, don't hurt my brother again or I will feed you to a demon."
"You can't do that," Kit said, beginning to fear for his life again. "It's against the law."
Dru shrugged. "Lex malla, lex nulla."
"But I'm too pretty to die!"
Dru shook her head. "I've seen prettier."
Kit gasped, feigning hurt. He didn't really care what Dru thought. He wasn't in love with her. But, what Ty thought about him mattered.
    Kit smirked. "You've seen prettier?"
    Dru nodded. "Believe it or not, Herondales aren't the most attractive Shadowhunters in the world."
    "Tell me, then," Kit said. "Who is the most Shadowhunter in the world?"
    Dru's cheeks turned red, and Kit knew that she was in love. Or at least attracted to someone. But who? Who could Dru like? And who could be good enough for Dru? No one. No one was good enough for Dru. Kit would have to scare all of the boys away from Dru, so she wouldn't get her heart broken. That seemed to be the best solution.
    "I don't know," Dru said. "There's a lot of hot Shadowhunters out there."
    Kit grinned. "Some of them being?"
    "I'm not telling you anything," Dru said, shaking her head. So she was interested in someone.
    He frowned. "Why not?" Did Dru not trust him? Honestly, Kit would understand if she didn't trust him, but it would definitely hurt. He considered the Blackthorns his family, and he wanted their trust. Ty trusted him. He wasn't sure about the rest of the family. If he ever hurt Ty, which he never would, the Blackthorns would kill him within seconds. That was for sure.
    "Why would I?" Dru asked.
    Kit's stomach dropped. "Because friends tell each other stuff like this," he said, hesitantly. He was no longer sure what he and Dru were. Maybe they weren't as close as he'd thought. Maybe she didn't trust him with this sort of information.
    "You didn't tell me about Ty," she said.
    Kit sighed. "You walked in on us kissing. You pretty much knew right away."
    "That's not what I meant." She was clearly annoyed, but Kit didn't know what he did wrong. Dru knew about him and Ty right away. Why was she mad? "You must've had feelings for him some point before the kiss."
    She was right. Kit did have feelings for Ty before they kissed. He had had feelings for Ty way before their first kiss. Then, they had gone away. At least, that's what Kit had thought. He thought that he had moved on, but once he saw Ty again, he knew that he still loved him. And he hadn't told anyone. Kit hadn't wanted anyone to know. Then, it dawned on him.
That was why Dru was upset. She probably wanted to be the friend that Kit told everything. She probably wanted to tell him everything, as well. But she wasn't going to trust him with her secrets if Kit wouldn't trust her with his. Kit was finally beginning to understand.
    "If it makes you feel any better, no one knew about my feelings for Ty," Kit said.
    She shook her head. "Why didn't you tell me? I could've helped you, or talked about it with you. I could've been there for you, Kit."
    "I didn't know that I had feelings for your brother at first, and then I left L.A. He had raised Livvy from the dead, as you already know." Dru nodded along as Kit spoke, and he knew that she was trying her best to understand. He was thankful for that. "I—" Kit stopped, not wanting relive what had happened. It was over, but it was still terrible to remember. If he could have the memory erased, he would. "I told him how I felt, but he didn't say anything back. I thought that he had rejected me, but over time, I realized that he was just too busy raising his sister to actually think about what I had said.
    "When I was with Jem and Tessa, I healed and pretty much forgot about Ty. And your family. Once I returned, I knew that I still had feelings for Ty, and I was terrified." Kit laughed. "I denied it at first. But, of course, I couldn't ignore my feelings for long."
    "Is that when you kissed him?" Dru interrupted.
    "No."
    Dru frowned. "That would've been perfect!"
    "It, uh, kind of gets worse." Kit thought for a moment, trying to think of the best way to tell Dru the rest of the story. "Ty got hurt because of me, so I had Magnus block off my emotions." He waited, hoping that Dru wouldn't kill him. He had done what he thought was right, and Kit thought that he would do it again. If it meant saving his family, he would do it again within a heartbeat.
    "You what?" Dru almost shouted. Kit immediately held a finger to her lips, and told her to be quiet. He didn't want anyone else to hear their conversation. "You what?" she repeated, her voice quieter but still just as angry. At least, Kit thought she sounded angry.
    "I can't tell if you're angry or just shocked and it's really scaring me," Kit said quickly.
    "Both." He was a goner. Dru was going to kill him, wasn't she? Kit would never get to see Ty again! "Let me get this straight. You hurt my brother, and had Magnus take away your emotions because you felt guilty."
    "That's about right." Dru was about to speak again, but Kit stopped her. "Let me finish the story, then you can talk." Dru nodded, and Kit picked up where he left off.
    "Soon after, Ty and I were taken to Faerie. I had Magnus take off the spell when we got back. I couldn't take it anymore! It constantly felt like something was missing. It was so close, but too far to reach, and it was driving me crazy! Once I had my emotions back, my love for Ty returned with them."
    "The next morning, I had an emotional breakdown." Kit avoided mentioning his magic. He didn't want Dru to know about that yet. "Ty helped me get through it, and I told him that I loved him. That's when we kissed."
    Dru was silent. Scarily silent. Kit traced circles on the ground with his feet, waiting for Dru to speak. He was terrified to hear what she had to say. He wished he could curl up in a ball on the ground and just disappear. That would be nice. He wouldn't have to deal with this anymore.
    Kit tried to read the expression on Dru's face, but she hid her emotions very well. He wasn't sure if that was intentional. Her eyes were blank, not giving any hints as to what she might be feeling. She probably hated Kit for what he'd done. He would understand if she decided to never speak to him again.
"Dru?"
She grinned. "I don't know how I didn't notice, but you two are perfect for each other!"
"So you don't hate me?" Kit asked.
"Of course not!" she exclaimed. She sounded almost shocked that Kit would ever think like that. "What kind of friend would I be if I gave up on you that quickly?"
Kit smiled. He hadn't expected Dru to be so supportive. He had expected her to hate him for hurting Ty, and if not that, then for getting his emotions spelled away. He should've known that Dru wouldn't hate him. They were like family, and family doesn't give up on each other. Kit had learned that from living with the Blackthorns three years ago, and from Jem and Tessa. They were more of a family to him than his father ever was. His father may have been his family by blood, but Kit didn't consider Johnny to be his real family.
"Now," Kit said, "will you tell me about who you love?"
Dru laughed. "I don't love anyone. Not in the way that you're suggesting."
"Lies!" Dru was silent. "Dru, I told you my embarrassing story. It's your turn."
She sighed, but she was clearly happy to be talking to someone about this. Did she not have anyone else to talk to? Did no one listen to her? Maybe she just trusted Kit more than her family. That didn't seem likely.
"Jaime's pretty cute," she said, blushing. Kit enjoyed this more than he had expected to. Talking about love with Dru was kind of fun. He could tell her anything, and she wouldn't tell anyone else. They were like siblings, Kit realized. Or best friends. Kit was lucky to have someone like Dru.
Kit gasped. "You think Jaime's hotter than me?"
"Yes," Dru laughed. "A lot hotter."
He shook his head, and crossed his arms. "You're dead to me. Who's Dru Blackthorn?" He couldn't hold back the grin that spread across his face, and eventually gave in to laughter.
Dru raised an eyebrow, but soon gave in to laughter as well. "You're the worst!" she said between laughs.
"You know that's not true."
She sighed. "Fine, but you're pretty close to it."
"Lies," Kit laughed. Dru just shook her head, holding back a grin. Kit was glad that he had told her about everything. Almost everything, at least. He hadn't told her about the whole Faerie magic thing, but Ty was the only Blackthorn that knew about that. He would tell her eventually, he decided. Just not quite yet.
Until then, he would enjoy his time with Dru. He would talk to her more, and tease her about Jaime. Eventually, he would tell her. He knew that she would be hurt because he hadn't told her sooner, but he just wasn't ready. He would have to tell her soon. He didn't want to hide things from her anymore. She was like the little sister he never had. He would protect her with his life, but she didn't really need his protection. She could protect herself, and Kit knew that. The way she fought demons made it look easy. But, Kit would be there for her just in case she needed him. And he would protect her from a broken heart. Dru would find someone to date at some point, and they could break her heart. Kit would be there for her. And he would destroy the guy that dared to hurt her. That's what friends were for, anyway.