Chapter 3

The Five Times Peter Got Help With Schoolwork and The One Time It Was Done For Him

Peter didn't mean to procrastinate, he really didn't. They'd been given two weeks to read Fahrenheit 451, and he'd intended to get it done in the first week, but he kept pushing it back and pushing it back until it was the last night and they had an in-class essay to write on it the next morning

A plethora of choice words streamed through his head, and he chose three of the best to mutter under his breath. He was going to need coffee for this. He grabbed the book and hurried up to the kitchen, crossing his fingers that nobody was there at midnight. He was in luck.

He tried to make coffee as quietly as possible, wishing he could web the coffee maker and dangle it out the window as it gurgled and poured. He mixed in an appropriate amount of sugar and cream, then sat down on a bar stool and began to read under the dim lights, coffee clutched tightly in hand.

It lasted him through the first thirty pages, and he got up to make another. His eyes burned from exhaustion. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, and had been planning on making it up. Plan foiled.

He took a sip of the coffee and sat back down, gluing his eyes to the page and reading until he ran out of coffee again. He set his book down and just about jumped out of his skin when he saw Bucky watching him from the doorway. He clutched his chest, breathing hard. Bucky tilted his head.

"You didn't notice me."

"Obviously," Peter squeaked.

"You're usually more aware of your surroundings."

"I was focused."

"You're exhausted. You should be in bed."

"So should you," Peter shot back, plopping his mug under the coffee maker.

Bucky shrugged. "I don't have school tomorrow."

"That's the point," Peter sighed. "I have to read this book for tomorrow. If I don't read it, I'll get a zero on the in-class essay."

"You should've done it earlier," Bucky said.

"I know," Peter hissed. Then, more resigned, "I know."

Bucky watched as Peter picked up his fresh coffee and took a long gulp, wincing at the sharp taste. He returned to his seat, resting his head on his arm for a moment before sitting up straight and picking up the book. Bucky made his way into the kitchen and began shuffling through the cupboards, pulling out ingredients and setting them on the counter. Peter turned around when he started cracking eggs.

"What're you doing?"

"Making cookies."

Peter raised his eyebrows. "Why?"

"So you can eat them."

"Really?"

"No, I'm making cookies to throw out the window."

Peter stared at him for a moment before huffing out a laugh. "I thought you were serious."

"Get back to work. Maybe I am serious."