Chapter 31

Over the next week, Peter found himself in Tony’s workshop nearly every evening, working on Bucky’s braces. He wanted them to be good, not just functional. Bucky deserved better than functional.

“How goes it, Petey-Pie?” Tony asked, sidling over and scratching his chin as he looked at Peter’s design on the hologram. “Hey, that’s looking neat.”

“Thanks,” Peter said, pink-cheeked. “I think it’s going good. I mean, you’d know better then me.”

Tony waved a hand. “Don’t underestimate yourself. I like what you did with the knee joints.”

Peter’s blush deepened, and he shrugged. “I mean… It’s nothing special, just…”

“I’ve never seen them magnetized like that. I think you’re on to something here.”

Peter fiddled with the hem of his shirt, looking down at the table. Tony flicked his shoulder gently.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Nothing,” Peter said quickly.

Tony took him by the shoulders, turning him so they were facing each other, and raised his eyebrows.

“It’s just…” Peter hesitated. “What if they don’t work?”

“They’ll work. Have some faith in your brain. I’ll check it over before we build, but I doubt I’ll catch anything big.”

“No… Not like that. What if they don’t… What if they’re not right?” Peter looked up with wide eyes, imploring Tony to understand.

“You mean what if he doesn’t like them?”

Peter nodded.

“Peter, you could give him solid plaster casts and crutches and he’d like them. You could bedazzle the hell out of the things and he’d think they were great.”

Peter pinched his lips together, and Tony sighed.

“Kid. He’s seen Rhodey’s braces; he knows what to expect. You’ll deliver.”

“But what if he doesn’t like them?” Peter whispered.

Tony rubbed his forehead. “God, I suck at emotions. Okay, if he doesn’t like them, it’s not your problem. You’re doing your damn best, you’re making something that a whole lot of people would kill to have, and once we’ve fitted and adjusted them, that’s that. If he’s not happy with them, then that’s something he has to work through. You get what I mean? JARVIS, did that make sense? I can’t tell.”

“Perhaps a slightly crude explanation, but the sentiment was there, Sir,” JARVIS replied. “Mr. Parker, to clarify, you are doing everything to the best of your ability. Any improvements that can be made will be made, which will yield an excellent product. If Sergeant Barnes is unhappy, it will not be caused by anything you have control over, far more likely by the situation he is in. Do you understand?”

Peter scrubbed a hand through his blue hair, which was slowly fading. After a moment, he nodded. Tony looked at him with rare, serious eyes.