Chapter 39

Before school the next morning, Peter scurried down to Steve and Bucky’s apartment and knocked quickly, bouncing on the balls of his feet. Steve opened the door about forty-five seconds later, his hair sticking up from sleep and his eyes bleary. Despite this, he smiled kindly at Peter.

“Did I wake you up? I’m really sorry,” Peter said.

“Don’t worry about it. Buck’s not up yet, but I can pass a message along?”

“That would be great,” Peter replied, rubbing the back of his head. “Could you -um- tell him that I finished the braces? And he can try them after I’m back from school? Or… If he doesn’t want to wait, Tony probably-”

“Of course he’ll wait,” Steve said. “He’ll want you to be there. That’s great news, Peter, I’ll let him know.”

“Thanks. I’ll -uh- I’ll be back later.”

“Have a good day at school,” said Steve warmly. “See you soon.”

----

Peter spent most of the school day unfocused, running through possible disaster scenarios in his head… He did some calculations wrong and the braces don’t fit. Or Bucky isn’t happy with them. Or he falls and gets hurt worse. Or the braces come apart and then he falls and gets hurt worse. Or they explode and Bucky-

The last bell rang, jerking Peter out of his preoccupation and freeing him to run home. He waved goodbye to Ned and MJ over his shoulder as he hiked up his backpack and sped through the crowds out onto the sidewalk. He didn’t slow down until he was hurrying into the lobby of the Tower, smiling halfheartedly to Tina and jiggling his knee until the elevator doors opened to take him up.

He got out on Steve and Bucky’s floor, skidding down the hall and taking a few breaths before knocking. Bucky pulled the door open moments later, as if he’d been waiting. He probably had been, Peter realized. He twitched his lips slightly at Peter, then turned his wheelchair away.

“Keep me waiting, Rogers,” he called, wryly irritated.

Peter heard a crash, a muttered “shoot,” and Steve rushed into the living room while trying to put on shoes.

“Sorry, sorry…oh, hi Peter. Sorry…”

Bucky raised a pointed eyebrow, and Steve glared faintly back.

“Shut up, Buck.”

“I didn’t say nothin’,” Bucky replied, wheeling out the door.

Steve succeeded in putting on his shoes and closed the door after them; he and Peter fell into step on Bucky’s sides. None of them spoke as they got into the elevator and descended several floors to the workshop. Tony’s loud rock got markedly quieter when the three of them entered, prompting Tony to look up. He gave Bucky a genuine smile, and Bucky waved a few metal fingers in return. Moments later, those metal fingers were being accosted by a chirping Butterfingers, who looked the robot equivalent of delighted to see Bucky. Steve smiled at the sight; Tony gave Butterfingers a betrayed look.

“Traitor,” he said. “I made you.”

Butterfingers turned his back on Tony, who huffed indignantly. Steve looked like he was trying not to laugh.