Chapter 9

“Class, make sure to get your permission slips signed by the end of the week! We’ll be visiting Stark Tower on Monday and I doubt anyone wants to get left behind!”

----

Honestly, Peter wouldn’t mind being left behind, he thought as he climbed onto the bus. A tour of the tower was a recipe for embarrassment and disaster on all counts. It was also ridiculous for him to walk to school just to be bused back home, but his chemistry teacher wasn’t his biggest fan, so he didn’t bother appealing. He sat in the front of the bus, far from Flash and his little friends. Unfortunately, as the bus started to move, Flash scurried back up the aisle and plopped down in the seat behind Peter.

“Parker!”

Peter ignored him.

“Oi, Parker!”

Joy to the world. Something thumped Peter’s head, and he finally turned.

“What.”

“I’ve been taking bets on whether or not people think you’re lying!”

“Lying about what?”

“The internship, idiot. I think you’re faking it, but five people so far said they believe you. Did you pay them?”

“Why would I pay them?”

Flash rolled his eyes like he was talking to a deceased rock. “For attention.”

“I don’t want attention,” Peter said. “I’d really rather you leave me alone, actually.”

“Not gonna happen, suck it! Hey, d’you think we’ll see Tony Stark himself? I bet you know him well, don’t you? ‘Cause you two are best friends.”

Peter rubbed his forehead. “I never said that.”

“Yeah, whatever, Parker. I bet when we get there, nobody’s gonna know you.”

----

Peter was mildly pleased to see Flash proven wrong within about a minute of being in the tower. They were standing in line to check in when someone called Peter’s name. Peter (and the rest of the class) turned to see one of the secretaries waving to catch his attention.

“Peter, dear! Why are you waiting in line with the schools?”

Peter glanced over to Flash, who was gaping.

“I’m on a field trip!” he called back.

“Are you?” The secretary looked faintly amused. “Well, have fun!”

“Thanks, Tina!”

Everyone stepped forward, forming a line for the metal detector, which was really more of a scanner. It said each student’s name flatly as they stepped through, and a guard checked them off on paper. When Peter took his turn, there was no robotic voice.

“Good morning, Mr. Parker. I must say, it’s odd to find you using this entrance,” JARVIS said pleasantly.

“Morning,” Peter replied. “I’m on a field trip.”