Chapter 23

“Should we invite Sam to Hair Club today?” Hill asked from Peter’s left side as they stepped out onto the sidewalk toward Peter’s school. Natasha, on his right, raised an eyebrow.

“He doesn’t have much hair,” she said.

“I don’t have much hair,” Peter pointed out.

“He has a buzz cut.”

“I know, but he meets the emotional criteria. It’s not like there’s a protocol for guests, anyway,” said Hill.

“Don’t let Clint hear you say that,” Natasha warned. “He’s been wanting to come for months.”

“Why don’t we let him?” Peter asked.

“We just don’t. We’re mean,” said Hill. Natasha nodded with a fond expression. Hill said something, but she was drowned out by taxi swerving and honking loudly at a sleek sports car. Peter winced at the noise.

“Идиоты,” Natasha muttered.

“What’s your first class?” Hill asked, repeating herself.

“Um… History,” Peter replied.

Hill made an interested sound. “What are you learning about?”

“We just had our test on the Red Scare, so now we’re starting a new unit on the Civil Rights Movement.”

“Do you like history?”

“It’s kind of cool. I like my teacher,” said Peter.

“That’s good. I hated my history teachers in high school.”

“You switched into another chemistry class, didn’t you?” Natasha asked. “Is the new teacher better?”

“Yeah, she’s really nice. I think it’s my favorite class now.”

Natasha looked pleased.

“What is she teaching you?” Hill prompted.

“We’re learning about the ideal gas law. It’s a lot of calculations right now, but we’re doing a lab where we collect carbon dioxide gas tomorrow.”

“Interesting stuff. Have you done stoichiometry yet?” asked Hill. Peter nodded.

“That was a couple units ago. I liked it.”

“Good.”

Natasha grabbed the handle on Peter’s backpack before he could cross the road.

“Look first,” she chastised.

“I did! Well, I listened. Nothing’s coming.”

Natasha gave him a squinty-look, and he ducked his head.

“Sorry. I’ll look next time.”

“You bet you will,” she said, flicking his ear lightly. They reached the other side of the crosswalk and came to a stop by the concrete steps in front of Peter’s school. Natasha gave Peter’s shoulder a squeeze and Hill ruffled his hair in goodbye. Ned hurried down the sidewalk with a grin, halting by Peter’s side.