Chapter 29

Peter woke up disoriented the next morning. He wasn’t in his bed; there was no natural lighting to tell him the time of day… Was he still in the Tower? Had something happened? His muscles tensed, and he felt a hand on his arm.

“Peter.”

That was Bucky’s voice. He was in Bucky’s room in the medbay. Everything was fine. Except… it wasn’t. It really wasn’t.

“Peter?” Bucky repeated, more worried.

Peter tilted his head to look up at Bucky, an awkward angle from beneath Bucky’s arm. Peter caught a glimpse of blond hair, which he guessed was Steve’s head resting on Bucky’s chest.

“What time is it?” he asked quietly.

“Half past nine.”

“In the morning?”

Anxiety bubbled in Peter’s stomach, and he sat up.

“Yes. Pepper said you don’t have to go to school today.”

Peter wasn’t sure how he felt about that. He appreciated it; sure, he wouldn’t have been able to focus much if he went. But he hated being treated like he was fragile. Even if he was, a little bit, though he’d never admit it. And he didn’t like missing class too often. Bucky, ever-watchful, noticed the conflict on his face.

“Ned and MJ are bringing your work later.”

“Alright,” Peter said, conceding.

Steve stirred on Bucky’s chest, squinting his eyes open and closing them again. He made a noise, muffled by Bucky’s shirt.

“Stevie,” said Bucky, and Steve lifted his head.

“Yeah?” He sounded hoarse.

“Remember Snow White.”

Steve rubbed his eyes, looking half-asleep and confused. “The old picture?”

“The animated one. With the Dwarfs.”

“Yeah, you used t’ call me Sneezy and I’d slug you in the stomach. How come?”

“You’re Sleepy.”

“I’m exhausted,” Steve mumbled, and planted his face back into Bucky’s chest. Bucky’s lips twitched up into a smile, and he smoothed his hand over the back of Steve’s head.

“Go back to bed, Sleepy.”

It seemed to take about thirty seconds for Steve to realize where he was and why; he promptly sat upright so fast that Peter flinched away from the movement.

“Jesus, Steve. Don’t give Peter a heart attack.”

Steve looked contrite. “Sorry.”

Peter managed a crooked half-smile. “S’okay.”

Steve shifted his gaze to Bucky, utterly forlorn and woebegone.