//date?

Mia's POV

I was walking in the hall when I came across Lip. He stopped and said something to me.

"Hey Mia, you wanna hang out later, just me and you maybe we could go out to dinner or something."

"Um, aren't you seeing that blonde girl?" I asked him.

"Karen? No we broke things off. She's moving to Florida and we weren't actually dating. I was planning on asking her out and made a scrapbook for her but she ended up dropping that bombshell and I flipped."

There was sadness in his eyes. I could tell he wasn't over her.

"How do I know you're not just asking me out cuz you aren't over her?" I asked him.

"I just," he scratched his head. "I was thinking we could get to know each other."

"Do you have a car?"

"No...but I could walk to your house."

My temptations got the best of me. I couldn't resist.

"Alright, I'm in."

"See ya around. I'll be around by seven." Lip winked at me and walked away, slightly biting his lip.

***

Later that night, I prepared for when I was going out. According to my phone, it was 5:30 p.m I didn't know if I should dress casual or go all out. I decided to go with a casual look, not too easy but also not innocent look. I applied mascara, eyeliner with the wings on the side, along with purple eyeshadow. That was my favorite color. The purple shades I applied were an evening, smoky look. I chose to wear a black top that was a bit tight with long sleeves made of lace and jeans. I did my hair in a ponytail filled with dangly curls.

I sat on my bed. It was 7:02 p.m and I figured maybe Lip would just be a couple minutes late. But my expectations got the best of me. I sat in silence on my iPod, scrolling through Facebook and playing Fruit Ninja. By the time I came to reality again, I checked my phone. It was now going for 7:55 at night, and still no Lip.

My mom was still at work and was going to be home around midnight. She worked a late shift. A couple more minutes went by and I was just gonna say fuck it and blow him off. I was about to put the covers over me and turn on the tv when I heard the doorbell. I descended down the stairs.

When I opened the door, it wasn't who I expected. In fact, it was a total stranger. It was a girl. She had long light brown hair with a curve in her body. Her pink frilly skirt revealed her little guy that overlapped the band. She was holding a container.

Hi, I'm Avery. I live across the street from you. You're the new girl, Mia...Reedmond, right?

"Redmond actually."

"Oh my god I'm so sorry. Well I saw you around in school and I figured I'd make you these cookies. They're chocolate chip. Hope you're not allergic to anything in cookies. That'd be horrible. But you have a nice night, I just wanted to drop these off. I bake a lot. I actually plan to go college for baking."

I could tell this girl was either on drugs or just really hyperactive. She just kept talking. But to not be rude, I said,

"Thank you for the cookies. You actually look kind of familiar now that I remember. You're from the bus."

"Yeah I am." Avery giggled. "I love baking."

"Well thanks for the cookies."

"It's a welcoming present to the neighborhood."

"Thanks."

"No problem. Bye!" Avery skipped away across the deserted street to the other side.

My eyes trailed down the street, but there was still no sign of Lip to be seen in my view. Fuck it. I figured why not go back in and binge watch Skins on Netflix. I turned to walk back inside when his voice echoed through the air.