The Office

"I got it! I got the promotion!" Kyle yelled as he flung open the front door.

"What?" Megan called from upstairs. "I can't hear you."

Kyle ran up the stairs taking them two at a time, yelling as he went, "I got the promotion!"

Megan poked her head out of their daughter's bedroom where she had been helping her curl and pin her hair for tonight's dance recital.

"You did?! That's incredible! I'm so happy for you," Megan said, pulling bobby pins out of her mouth so she could kiss Kyle.

"You should have seen the look on Brian's face when he found out. He was pissed," Kyle told her.

"He wasn't up for the job, was he? I thought he didn't want it," Megan asked.

"He didn't want it, he just didn't want me to have it," Kyle said triumphantly.

"Well, fuck him. He's an arrogant asshole anyway," Megan said.

"I know, and now I am senior to him!" Kyle exclaimed as he headed down the hall to change for the recital.

"This means you have your own office now, right?" Meagan asked.

"Yep. I even have a lock on the door to keep those fuckers from accounting from dropping in whenever they want," Kyle replied.

The excitement of Kyle's promotion was quickly lost in the hustle and bustle of feeding, dressing, and collecting the kids and their gear in order to be on time for the performance.

The show was long and they got home late. By the time everyone was settled into bed, Megan only had the energy for a quick kiss and a slurred goonight before she slipped off to sleep.

Kyle was gone before she woke up the next morning. This wasn't unusual but she had a feeling it would become the norm now that he was senior vice president. She dragged herself out of bed, walked downstairs to grab the coffee Kyle had left her, and sat at the kitchen table mentally preparing to face her day.

Her marriage was good. The kids were fine. Money wasn't really an issue. But she was bored. Like mind-numbing-knuckle-dragging bored. It was the same thing every day, wake up, get the kids to school, run errands, work in her office, get the kids from school, and then endure a flurry of activity until she dropped into bed just to wake up and do it all over again.

She used to be creative and spontaneous. She used to talk with her friends and lovers late into the night about the meaning of it all and their place in it. Now, she talks about doctor's appointments, late fees, and lunch dates. When did she lose herself, she wondered?

When did she become this bland person her twenty-year-old self would have scoffed at? Did it happen slowly? It must have because she didn't see it coming. But here she was. Quickly approaching middle age and a complete stranger to herself.

Weeks passed and little changed. Kyle spent more time at the office, working late into the evening, and Megan moved from one task to another getting things done but never feeling accomplished.

One afternoon, Megan wandered the aisles of Target trying to find something that would shake her funk. She tried on new pants, a new shade of lipstick, and thought about getting new dishware before she realized that was stupid, her dishes at home were just fine. While waiting to check out the few items she decided to keep — the lipstick being one of them — she picked up a Cosmo off the rack. Thumbing through it absently while waiting for the line to inch forward, she read about a FIVE MINUTE MAKEOVER! And the best swimsuits for this season.

It was her turn to check out and as she went to put the magazine back on the rack, she caught one last headline, Hot Sex At The Office.

Hot sex at the office repeated in her head as she drove home. She kept trying to push the thought away. It was unreasonable. You can't just have sex at the office, there are cameras everywhere nowadays. And what about his breath? If she were to just show up ready to fuck him would he have stale afternoon breath? The kind you get after drinking coffee and talking all day? Probably.