The Reunion

"I can't believe it's been twenty years already," Nicole said as she twisted the corkscrew into the top of the wine bottle.

"I know. It just doesn't seem right somehow. Here, let me help, you're terrible at that," Michele said taking the bottle of wine from Nicole.

"I can still open a beer bottle with a Bic lighter, so there's that," Nicole said with a shrug.

"Did you see Jeremy Linder?" Michele asked.

"Holy shit, I did. What the fuck happened to him?" Nicole asked as she poured wine into two glasses.

"I heard he's been divorced a few times, I guess that's hard on a person," Michele replied.

"Hard?! That dude looks like he's sixty," Nicole exclaimed.

Michele shrugged, "Not everyone can maintain as well as we have," and raised her glass.

Nicole raised her own and with a small clink of the glasses she said, "To the Wanderers."

Michele smiled and took a long drink. "I forgot we called ourselves that."

"Yeah, I think we were going for tragic and aloof," Nicole laughed.

"You know what is tragic?" Michele asked making her way to the living room.

"Melissa Finster's fake tits?" Nicole guessed as she followed and sat sideways on the couch so she could see Michele, who was now sitting on the other end.

"Well, that too. I mean, they are enormous! But I was thinking about Mike and Stephanie, they are still together. What was it, our freshman year when they got together?" Michele said taking a deep drink of wine.

"It was our sophomore year. I remember because I was going out with Jesse, Mike's best friend," Nicole corrected.

"Right! Whatever happened to him?" wondered Michele.

"Last I heard he was working on an oil rig out in the ocean," Nicole replied.

"Huh. Didn't seem the type. I didn't think Cure loving skaters turned into oil rig dudes," Michele mused.

"Well, who would have thought we would end up with stable lives and successful careers? No one thought we were going to amount to much. I don't think any of them thought we would make it out of high school without getting knocked up or hooked on heroin," Nicole raised her glass again. "To us, the ones that made it."

"To us," Michele agreed, lifting her glass.

With one bottle down and the second one half drunk, Michele and Nicole were laughing so hard they were gasping and clutching their midsections, tears streaming down their faces, as they re-lived their better days in high school.

The wine and laughter were making Nicole hot. She fanned her face with her hands, trying to get her giggles under control. "Do you have an extra hair tie? I need to get this mop out of my face."

Michele disappeared for a minute and returned with a hair tie. "Here, sit down here and I'll french braid it, it's been a long time since I've been able to do it." She gestured to a spot on the floor in front of the couch.

Nicole sat and Michele settled in on the couch behind her.

Michele ran her fingers through Nicole's hair, pulling it back and away from her face. They continued to talk as Michele used her fingers as a comb, trying to tame Nicole's curls enough to section it off for a braid.

"I forgot how good it feels to have someone play with my hair," Nicole sighed and leaned back in between Michele's legs.

Michele tugged, tucked, and twirled Nicole's hair into a long braid. "There, that should be better."