Something New

"How would you feel about trying a vibrator?" Wendy said trying to maintain eye contact.

"I want to spice things up," she tried again, her face fully flushed now.

"Iwantyoutoputadildoinmyass," she spat out as if it were one word.

"This is stupid, I can't do this," she said to her reflection.

Wendy washed her hands and left the bathroom where she had been practicing how to bring up the subject with her husband Mike.

Earlier that day, Wendy had met her friend Tish for lunch. After a few drinks and the obligatory conversation about kids and work the talk turned to their sex life.

"My new vibrator arrived a few days ago and Ryan and I have had the best sex of our lives," Tish said excitedly. "I'm totally enjoying it without Ryan too," she finished with a little giggle.

Wendy looked around to see if the other diners had overheard since Tish wasn't exactly whispering. "Really?" She asked, leaning in hoping to give Tish a hint.

"Oh yeah. It's incredible. It's just big enough, but not too big — that way Ryan can enjoy it too — and it has softer vibration than most which is nice because some of them are just too much, you know?" Tish replied, still not even trying to be quiet.

"No, I don't know. And, wait. Ryan uses it too?!" Wendy asked, trying not to sound too shocked. She was a goddamn adult after all and this is 2019, she knows these things. But Ryan? She wasn't sure she would be able to look at him in the same way again.

"Of course he does. He loves to take it in the ass while we are fucking. Even more so if I am sucking his dick at the same time," Tish said as casually as if she were explaining the rules of football.

"I can't unhear this," Wendy said. "I don't think I wanted to know that about you two."

"Well, the cat's out of the bag now," Tish said while stirring her third margarita.

"Has it always been this way?" Wendy asked, forgetting to hide her astonishment.

"No. The first few years we were together were pretty bland. I mean, it was good and all, but, you know, bland. We would have made missionaries proud," Tish answered.

"How did it first happen?" Wendy wanted to know. "How do you even approach something like that?"

"I had a vibrator in college but ditched it when Ryan and I got serious. I dunno, I thought it might hurt his feelings or something. Anyway, about a year after we got married, I was invited to one of those Pure Romance parties and figured why not? If Ryan didn't know I was into him by that point..." Tish finished with a shrug.

"I kept it in my nightstand and one night after Ryan and I had gotten pretty drunk at his company party, we came home and had some seriously hot sex. It was then I thought what the hell and pulled it out hoping he would use it on me. He did and then I used it on him," Tish said.

Wendy tried hard not to act shocked. "It was that easy?"

"Everything is easy after a few drinks and heavy foreplay," Tish said with a smile.

"And after?" Wendy asked.

"After the first time, it's no big deal. You don't even have to be drunk, you just have to decide — is it a dildo night or not? Just like you decide top or bottom, face up or face down," Tish replied. "You have a vibrator don't you?" she asked Wendy.

Wendy thought about the little pink finger-shaped one she had hidden in the back of her dresser. "Sort of. I don't really use it though."

"Why not?!" Tish asked incredulously.