Chapter Six ~ Musical Chairs

Thanks so much to sushinim for the cover above. I love the outfits in this ♡

Shoutout comment of Chapter 5 goes to felicityderos!! girl I feel you 😂 Felix got me bad

For the first time, I wasn't visiting Penelope Aldgate's home alone

For the first time, I wasn't visiting Penelope Aldgate's home alone. Her apartment was the opposite of what I knew it to be, the clean and spacious rooms now a turbulent collection of garment bags and suitcases.

"Come in," she barked as I lingered in the doorway gaping at the mess. A few people dressed in uniform milled around, folding clothes and wheeling laundry carts.

"I need privacy, go!" she demanded to the staff, waving her arms around to catch their attention.

I tried not to cringe, and instead did my best to give them polite smiles as they passed me.

"What's going on?" I asked, putting my bag down and walking over to where Penelope stood with a piece of paper in her hand. Apparently, I wasn't the only one with unexpected mail today.

"You tell me!" She cried. And then I noticed the smudges beneath her eyes. "Cole gave me this stupid note. A note. He doesn't even write."

She tucked it back inside of her pocket.

"You saw him?"

She nodded, and slumped onto the sofa. "I don't know what's happening."

Neither did I, but I did my best to comfort her, sitting beside her and touching her shoulder.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"He didn't break up with me," she said quickly, wiping her cheek with the back of her hand and attempting to compose herself. "If that's what you're thinking."

"Oh," I said, my confusion doubling. I felt like I was getting whiplash from being around her. She was unpredictable

"He's just... making me doubt everything. Doubt us."

"Why did he write to you when you're here?"

"I don't know! He's supposed to be here now, we were going to go for dinner but Poppy needs a ride to her swim meet and by the time they'll get home I'll be on my next flight."