Chapter Twenty-Three ~ Cinderella

Thanks for your patience guys ❤️ to make it up I'll definitely be doing a bonus update this weekend!! We have 3 more left, and so that means that in a week, TBS will be a complete novel 😱

Comment of Chapter 22 goes to @SleepyWaifu for pumping everyone up for reading the final chapters!

Comment of Chapter 22 goes to  @SleepyWaifu for pumping everyone up for reading the final chapters!

It was a blur

It was a blur. Golden chandeliers and glittering champagne. Sharp thorns and damp night air. The feeling that no matter how hard I ran, it would catch me. They would catch me.

"Sebastian," I said. "Sebastian, I need your help."

I was surprised he could hear me through the tears as I choked his name into my phone. I don't even know how far I'd made it before my legs had given way and I'd lost my footing, the earth pulling my shoe from my feet and leaves catching in my hair.

Of course, even though my brother had agreed to rescue me in an instant, he was still an hour's drive away. I threw my mask from my face, instead burying it in my hands as sobs overcame my body. Just like that, my entire life had been ruined.

Nicholas Clemonte was oblivious to the fact that my parents had attempted to sabotage his family's business with a secret marriage certificate. We'd been high school sweethearts for long enough for them to use us, but when he broke up with me my parents saw it as a threat. The idea was that it connected his assets with mine and they could pull strings behind the curtain. It was the last push I needed to run away from home.

I'd never signed the document. I'd never gone to prom. Instead, I'd adopted the last name Preston and gotten into college on my own. I'd taken up crappy jobs that had eventually landed me here.

But, it didn't matter. After we'd ended things, my parents had forged my signature and his, paid a witness and minister, and eventually it had landed in the hands of Penelope.

And since then, they'd tried everything to rope me back in. It didn't exactly look good for the pristine family image that their daughter had run away, and it especially wasn't good for their strategy, considering I was the key to their competitors son. This was why I couldn't have them in my life. They poisoned me, and they poisoned the ones that I loved.