Chapter Eight ~ Strangers

Thanks insistency for the aesthetic above! it fits the story so well 🥰

Comment of the chapter is KellyGe for her analysis of Josie's cover:

And finally--I won't make this too much longer--I have some exciting news

And finally--I won't make this too much longer--I have some exciting news. I'm behind on my posting schedule (this book has to be complete by October as I'm posting SCAREBNB as of the 1st) sooo I'm gonna have to update more frequently.

Would you guys prefer bonus updates on weekends or another update spread throughout the week? 😉

I did my best to pretend I hadn't seen the text, but it had my insides squirming. Was this a diversion? Was Felix onto me?

I stood to join Felix in the kitchen, trying my best to act nonchalant.

"Hey, um, thanks for tonight," I said slowly.

Felix spun around from where he'd been looking through his wine collection. We'd already finished a bottle between us over the period it took to prepare dinner and consume it.

"Of course," he said. His brows furrowed, and the expression on his face was enough to melt my heart. This would be a lot easier if Cole didn't have attractive friends. Had I been played? "Are you wanting to leave already?"

I shrugged, playing with my thumbnail. "I don't know, it's getting a bit late."

Felix paused, looking at me curiously. "That's fine. Is everything okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah, it's actually been a really lovely time."

"You don't want to hang a bit longer?"

I tilted my head to the side, wondering what exactly it was he was distracting me from. How much did he know? Was Penelope's plan futile?

The frustrating thing was, I did want to hang longer. I wanted to hear him laugh and see him brush his hair from his brow, his lashes heavy over his entrancing gaze. But it was a ruse. I knew that now. It had to be.