Chapter Twenty ~ Hide and Seek

Thanks to enured for giving a recap of Chapter Nineteen that hurts my heart 😅

👏 stuff is going down guys 👏 can't wait to read your reactions to all that is revealed over the next few chapters 😇

The hem of my dress fluttered over the damp, peeling floor, my golden heels landing on crumbs and creaks as I descended my apartment stairs

The hem of my dress fluttered over the damp, peeling floor, my golden heels landing on crumbs and creaks as I descended my apartment stairs. My fingers—painted a deep red—traced down the banister, and I wondered if anyone would see me. If they did, they might not even recognize Joselyn Preston beneath the glittering mask disguising me against the night.

The parking lot was soaked in rain, and I stifled a shiver as I exited the falling-apart complex. Felix's car was idling nearby. When he saw me, he opened his door and climbed out, his mouth dropping open.

I painted on a red-lipped smile, one that said I didn't care that I was standing in one of the worst suburbs in Oakley.

"Wow," Felix said. My focus shifted to him as I devoured in his well-fitting suit and slicked hair. He opened the door for me.

"Wow, yourself."

"You look... fucking incredible."

I pursed my lips and lowered myself into his car.

"You want to tell me why I'm picking you up from here?" he asked. I could tell by his tone what he thought of it. Like Sebastian, he kept looking over his shoulder, like someone might rob him. He locked the doors as soon as we were both inside.

"Felix," I said, shifting so I was facing him in my seat and taking a deep breath. "I've been lying to you. I don't really live in Candard Heights. There's something I've been—"

He pressed a finger to my lips.

"You don't have to explain everything to me. I get it—"

I brushed his finger from me. "I do, though. You don't understand. I live here."

He was quiet for a moment, looking between me and the complex. Eventually, his hand moved to cup my cheek and he kissed me on the forehead. I wished I wasn't wearing the mask so I could be even closer.