Chapter 8

Kai

The rain pattered softly on the wooden planks of the Bounty. The broken pole lay abandoned on the training deck, Nya's blood still smeared on the sharp splinter that stabbed her. Luckily, most of the storm was over, only a light shower remained, the roll of thunder rumbling softly in the distance. A light breeze ruffled the Bounty's sails that glided through the clouds, and the drops of water splashed rhymically on the deck.
Pit pat. Pit pat. Pit pat.
Kai paced back and forth anxiously outside the infirmary. He bit his lip, nervous on the news Zane will give him. Cole and Jay were sitting on the floor of the hallway, facing opposite directions, while Ethan put an arm around his brother. Pixal was in the room with Zane, helping him deal with the problem. Lloyd leaned against the wall, a frown present among his face.
It wasn't that Kai didn't care about his younger sister. He was just mad at himself. Mad for not protecting her enough. He knows Jay would do anything to defend her, but he feels he has a duty to fulfill. He just wishes she'd understand that, and listen to him for once, then none of this would have happened.
Zane slowly opened the door, a soft creak getting everyone to look up at him.
"Nya is faring well, and the statistics show there is a ninety-five percent chance she will live," Kai gave a hopeful smile and lunged to see her. Jay came behind Kai, only to get stopped by Zane. "but, only one at a time please, we don't want to wake her." Jay pouted, crossing his arms and turning around slowly. Pixal and Zane exited the sick bay, the bright light from the hallway lessened as Zane closed the door, leaving Kai alone with Nya. He sat on a chair next to the bed, grabbing Nya's dry hand and squeezing it. He was still drenched, while Nya was changed into a hospital gown, dried and bandaged up. Her leg was elevated in a cast-like wrap, while her stomach was covered with thick cloth bandages. Her eyes remained shut, Nya's black, silky hair ruffled and messy. He frowned before saying something.
"Nya?" Kai whispered softly, sympathetically rubbing his thumb on the top of her hand. She stirred, slowly opening her ocean blue eyes.
"Wha- what happened?" Nya croaked looking around. Kai smiled and dove in, hugging her tightly.
"Nya! You're okay!" Kai sobbed, letting it out. He usually doesn't cry, but when it comes to family he's not afraid to show his emotions. And plus, no one else was around. Nya seemed surprised at first, but then wrapped her arms around her sobbing brother.
"Yeah, just in a little pain that's all," Nya remarked. "and ew! You're all wet!"
Kai got off his sister and smiled sheepishly, the tips of his mouth soon turning into a frown. Nya noticing this raised her hand to cup Kai's cheek.
"What's wrong?" she asked worriedly, her brows knitted together in confusion.
Kai sighed. "I just, should have been a better brother. I mean, I know Jay will protect you and all but just, since we were young, I've always vowed to myself that I'll never let anything happen to you. I feel like I can't lose you as easily as we almost lost our parents. It just- you mean the world to me Nya, and if you didn't come out, I would never forgive myself." Kai finished, unable to resist the urge to let tears fall. Nya's eyes softened, her ocean blue irides filled with water.
"Kai..." Nya began searching for words. "I never knew you felt this way. I'm sorry if I brushed you off when you tried to protect me, I wanted a little freedom, that's all. I already told Jay this but I feel like I don't get a say in my future. I want to decide for myself , you know?" Kai nodded slowly.
"Yeah, I understand."
"Thanks big bro. I love you a lot. Don't ever forget that."
Kai smiled. "Yeah I know that. Just be careful, okay?"
Nya acknowledged Kai's wish with a hug, the fire ninja wrapping his arms around his younger sister. His breath slowed, and for the first time in years, he felt like his duty was fulfilled. Nya disrupted the silence with a question Kai didn't expect.
"So um, I kinda noticed you like, blush whenever you're around Cole so..."
Kai froze.
"Am I really this obvious?"
"Well, no, I mean yeah, kinda. We all figured except for Lloyd who's oblivious to that stuff."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"You don't mind right?"
"No! No, I'm just excited it's kinda your first crush. Like a big crush."
"Shhhh. Shut up! They're literally right outside."
She giggled.
"Fine, fine."
Nya snuggled closer to Kai's side.
"I'm just gonna take a small..." yawn. "nap."
Her soft snores lulled Kai to sleep, both their chests rising in rhythmic motions.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team waited outside patiently, except for Jay who was very agitated.
"What's taking Kai so long? He needs to share Nya with other people too you know!"
Cole rolled his eyes while Zane quietly creaked the door open. Inside, Kai and Nya huddled next to each other, soundly asleep, both their chests rising and falling peacefully. Jay peeked his head in, the scene answering his question for him.
"Let us leave them alone. We can visit tomorrow, Jay."
The lightning ninja smiled. "Yeah, I need to take a shower anyway."

Aww how nice. Sorry it was so short I kinda ran outta ideas lol.