Chapter 9

Cole

Cole rubbed his eyes and felt dizzy again. He was also crying all night about what happened yesterday. The only thing that helped him sleep was the soothing words his mother spoke to him. He and Jay were in an argument again, over Nya. He truly didn't mean for that to happen, but Jay just, lashed out at him. Luckily, Kai was there to defend him but he felt broken for what he did. Now his relationship between him and his best friend was ruined, and Nya's hurt, bad.
He looked down from his bunk. He was the only one left sleeping, so the others were probably at breakfast. Grunting, Cole climbed down the ladder to the door. Right as he put a hand on the knob, a knock sounded from the other side.
"Cole? Can I come in?" the black ninja recognized that voice. He opened the door to see Ethan standing in front of him.
"Hey big bro. What's up?"
Ethan handed him breakfast, an egg with toast. Cole gladly took it and gestured for his brother to come in. Ethan closed the door behind him, going over to sit next to Cole on Zane's bed. The black ninja noticed his brother was wearing a different outfit: a sleeveless brown gi with the symbol for earth, a brown belt coated in gold at the end, and swords attached to his back. The gi had small black diamonds fade from the bottom, and spare ropes and daggers helpful for the harsh jungle environment. Lastly, he had black and brown gloves so that he could easily grip rough surfaces without scratching the soft flesh beneath his hands.
"I saw what happened yesterday. I just wanted to come check on you," Ethan looked at his younger brother with concern. Cole just sighed. Ethan continued. "wanna talk about it?"
Cole wanted to. He really did. He wanted someone to understand how hurt he felt, to have injured Nya and destroy his relationship between him and Jay.
Cole nodded with his head down.
"I feel broken for hurting Nya. It wasn't my fault, but Jay got mad at me. I really don't wanna be in an argument with him again. I'm just sick of feeling this way. Jay and I have always been the best of friends, but Nya was the source to our arguments. First was when that stupid match console said that I was the best match for Nya, and then that carried on till' the Tournament of Elements. And now we're in the same predicament, again!" Cole threw his hands up in the air, his breakfast placed beside him half eaten. Ethan reached over and took the plate from his brother and placed it on a table so that it wouldn't spill over.
"Maybe you should talk to him, explain how you feel." Ethan grinned encouragingly at his younger brother hoping to find a smile. Instead Cole's expression was still a frown.
"I can try but he probably won't listen. He's too mad at me."
Ethan put a hand on Cole's shoulder reassuringly. He pulled him closer to a hug.
"Maybe wait till' he calms down, then pull him to the side to privately talk." Ethan offered. He looked down and Cole looked up. They both smiled.
"Yeah, thanks bro."
"No problem," Ethan handed Cole's breakfast to him again. "you still hungry?"
The younger earth master nodded. He began to eat in silence, his head rested on Ethan's shoulder. They stayed until a knock was heard on the door five minutes later. Both the siblings perked their heads up.
"Hey Ethan? Cole? You guys still in there?" Lloyd called from the other side.
"Yeah!" Ethan responded yelling back.
"Okay well were at the Dark Island so y'all should probably come down."
"Sure. Cole will be down in a little bit."
They both heard footsteps retreating from the door.
"I'll meet you outside. Just tell the guys I'm getting ready." Cole said to Ethan standing up.
"Okay." Ethan got up and put his hand on the knob. Before he could leave, Cole called his name. He turned around.
"Thanks for the talk by the way. You're a really good brother."
Ethan smiled. "Sure, anytime. Oh and I just remembered," he walked over to Cole's dresser and gave him a bundled set of clothing. "Sensei Wu got us new suits suitable for the Dark Island." Cole took the new uniform and examined it. "Thanks."

The bright sun blinded Cole's eyes, making him wince. He had brought a small backpack full of necessary materials: a bottle of water, a first aid kit, snacks, vitamins, a sketchbook and pencils, as well as cake (And yes it is very essential to bring on the journey). A good sized sleeping bag was placed on top. The weather on the Dark Island was much more humid than it was in Ninjago, making him feel sticky and wet. Luckily, the suit was sleeveless, but that meant his arms were open to strange bugs. His suit was basically Ethan's, but the blacks and browns were switched. The shore lapped at the sand, leaving white foaming bubbles behind. There was no breeze, so the heat and humidity combined sucked the life out of every living organism on the island. He remembered that the island was mostly covered in densely, overgrown trees and plants, vines wildly growing in all sorts of places.
Everyone else stood at the entrance of a forest, as Wu and Misako examined a map. The bounty was docked halfway on the shore, three sturdy ropes tied to thick trees. Zane went over to the map, scanning the surface of the paper.
"This is not the Maze of the Unknown. According to the map, it is west of the forest we are standing in front of. I suggest we take this route; it is the least dense path to our destination." the ice ninja explained, pointing to sections on the map.
"Thank you Zane," Wu said placing a hand on his shoulder. "students? Are we ready?"
Everyone nodded in agreement and started walking west. Most of the trip was in silence, Nya struggling every once and a while on her crutches due to the uneven surface. Jay and volunteered to carry her, but she refused.
Wu, Misako, Zane, and Pixal lead the group, while Kai and Cole brought the rear. Jay stayed close to Nya, giving her support when she needed it, while Ethan scanned his surroundings trying to remember the path. Hours passed as the sun sank lower and lower beneath the rigid mountains, drowning its beauty in darkness until sunrise. The ninja were three quarters of the way to the jungle, the trees and plants getting denser and denser as they traveled deeper and deeper.
They decided to set camp for the night, each ninja given a specific role. Ethan and Cole went to gather firewood, Kai, Lloyd, and Nya set up sleeping bags, while Zane and Pixal decided on food. Wu and Misako continued to study maps and scrolls, Jay to the side peacefully reading his comic books.
Nya looked over at Jay disapprovingly, frowning at his choice of being 'productive'.
"Some help you are Jay. I have a broken leg and I'm doing more than you are."
Jay looked up from his book and rolled his eyes.
"Fine fine. Anything for my girl." he smirked and stood up, slinging an arm around Nya's shoulders. Cole and Ethan returned with a pile of wood in their arms, going to the center of the camp to set a campfire. Ethan laid rocks around the tepee of wood, Cole being the perfectionist he is to make sure the sticks were in the right place.
"Cole it's gonna get burned anyway. It's fine the way it is." Kai started lighting his hand on fire.
"Wait! Before you do that," the black ninja placed one more stick on the pile. "okay done."
Kai rolled his eyes and lit the wood, everyone gathering around as Zane and Pixal cooked dinner. Small plastic, reusable bowls were given out, each with steaming rice. A plate was soon filled with well seasoned barbecued beef, different kinds of greens placed on the side. Zane being Zane had to be overly prepared and brought soy sauce, for extra flavor. The ninja hungrily dug in, Wu eating only rice and greens while he sipped his tea. Typical.
"Zane, I dunno what we'd do without you." Cole said between bites and a full mouth.
"Yeah! I think this is the best campfire food I've had in my life!" Jay piped in.
Kai started laughing. "Remember the time we had to eat mud newt? That was gross."
"Yeah, I'm never eating that again." Nya stuck her tongue out with disgust.
The team laughed and talked for a while, until the conversations died down as one person after the next went to sleep. Cole decided to take the first watch. He sat silently cross legged, sketching in his sketchbook while the other hand held his cake. Kai wasn't quite asleep yet. He was polishing his new katana, skimming his fingers over the shiny titanium surface. Red symbols that read "fire" was ingrained in the thin but strong blade, as if the enemy's blood was already stained on the metal.
"How's the whole sickness thing with your mom?" Kai asked breaking the silence. Cole looked over his shoulder and turned back.
"It's getting better. I don't vomit every two seconds but I get dizzy and lightheaded every once and awhile."
"That's good."
They were both silent for the next couple minutes. Kai peeked over his shoulder. Cole was working on human anatomy, effortlessly gliding the pencil over the rough surface of the paper. The way his hand moved in smooth, perfect strokes, easily outlining the curves and shapes of the body was amazing.
"Wow, didn't know you could draw so well."
Cole covered his sketchbook. He was mostly self conscious about his drawings, and there was some stuff Kai really shouldn't see.
"Heh, yeah."
They were silent again.
"So... how long have you been drawing for?" Kai asked trying not to be awkward.
"Uhhh, dunno. Maybe since I was like, in grade school."
"Bruh, that's like a span of five to six years I have to guess from."
"Look, I don't remember exactly!" Cole playfully shoved Kai.
Their laughter died down and an uneasy silence filled the air again.
Cole placed his hand down after eating his cake but accidentally touched Kai's fingers. He quickly retreated, grateful for the darkness that hid his red face.
"Ack! Sorry!"
"Nah dude, your fine."
Kai glanced at Cole's hand that was placed a few inches away. Slowly, he inched his fingers closer and closer. Cole flinched, not daring to look down, but this time he didn't pull his hand away. They intertwined their fingers together, ever so slowly, until they held their palms together in a tight grip. Cole silently let a breath out.
This can be my opportunity.
"Kai, I-"
Rrrrrr....
A low rumbling sound made the bushes shiver and interrupted the earth ninja from confessing. It was low and metallic, like the sound of knives scratching concrete.
"What was that?" Cole asked fully alert, their hands now apart, holding weapons.
"I dunno. Maybe one of Garmadon's creatures that was left here."
They sat with their eyes peeled, looking anxiously at the dark bushes around them.
"C'mon. Let's get to the bottom of this." Kai said with his teeth gritted.
The two ninjas stood up and quietly walked around the clearing, the sound of crickets and a pop of the campfire in the background. Rustles were heard on the right, then they traveled left.
"Keep an eye on our sleeping teammates. I'm goin' in." Cole commanded as he slipped his hood on.
Baby it's not safe to go alone. Abigail warned.
"No! Cole!"
Kai went to grab his arm but missed and caught hold of his hand instead. He flushed a dark red.
"You can't go by yourself! What if something happens?"
"I'm gonna be fine. But I need you to watch over our teammates; I don't want anything happening to them."
Kai reluctantly let go of his hand.
"Okay, just be careful. Please."
The earth ninja smiled.
"Yeah. I will."
He turned and ran into the darkness, the mysterious and unknown fog engulfing him. He squinted and followed the noises, twisting and turning around trees, occasionally running into them. He came to a stop when there was nowhere left to go, thick, thorny vines surrounding him. The way he came in magically grew thorns so that he couldn't turn back.
"I could've sworn-"
A sharp, piercing headache made him grip his head in pain, his legs buckling to the floor.
Oh no. He's here. Cole, you never should've come alone.
What? Who's here?
Cole continued to groan in pain, crumbled on the floor.
Cole you have to summon your-
Mom! Mom? Where are you?
You- have- to-
The pain stopped. The crickets stopped chirping. The wind stopped blowing.
"Mom? Come back!"
Cole could hear his heart beating in his chest.
Bu dum. Bu dum. Bu dum.
Then a voice spoke.
Ah... don't be scared boy... the voice soothed. It was grainy, sharp, metallic, like the growl.
"Who are you! What do you want?"
Curious are we? Unfortunately, I don't want to tell you.
"Are you a ghost that's tryna' get me again? Cause' if you are imma' kick your butt back to-"
Feisty. I don't want anything to do with you, boy. Bring her by the end of the summer solstice. I'm being generous. That's twelve days. Bring her or you will suffer the consequences.
"Wha- bring who?" Cole started feeling drained. His vision darkened. The voice didn't answer his question but only seemed to get louder and echo through his mind.
Bring her to the top of the tallest mountain here, and you and your little friends can live.
Then his energy came back. The vines parted. Cole gasped for air, slowly regaining his breath. He clutched his head, closing his eyes and groaning.
"Woah, that was..."
-summon your dragon!
His mother's soothing voice reappeared.
Mom? What happened.
Do it! Get out of here!
Cole summoned all his elemental power and formed the dragon, its wings beating and thrashing in a panicked way.
"Shhh. It's okay."
He lightly brushed the scales of its snout.
"Good boy. Let's go back."
They lifted off to the sky.
Ok mom! What the heck was that?!
Son- there's not much time to explain- tell- others-
Mom?
I'm- running out of- energy-
And she went silent.
"Mom?"
Cole growled in frustration. "Lost her again."
He landed in the clearing, his dragon dissipating and turning to elemental dust. The camp looked the same: the slow peaceful rising and falling of his teammates' chests and the crackling bursts of fire on the burning logs. Kai turned around and ran to meet Cole. They instantly wrapped their arms around each other. Cole tried to bite back tears of fear, but it spilled out on Kai's red gi.
"Cole? What's wrong?"
His shoulders flinched up and down, quiet sobs muffled.
"Kai it was so scary. The darkness, the voice..."
Kai rubbed his back supportively.
"Shhh," he comforted. "It's okay. I'm right here... there's nothing to worry about."
The brothers slowly sank to the floor.
"It's okay..." Kai repeated as Cole drifted to sleep, the gentle  warmth of the fire ninja forcing him to close his eyes.

Here's a super long chapter for you guys since the last one was so short. Yay we finally got some actual lava 🌋