Chapter 11

Cole

    When the ninja came back, Jay and Nya were huddled close to each other, the lightning ninja protectively cradling the sleeping water master. Zane was busy tending to the ninja's injuries: Kai had a long gash that went from his shoulder to the lower rib, Cole a minor concussion, Lloyd a few cuts and scrapes, Ethan a clavicle fracture, and Pixal, a couple insignificant wires misplaced. It affected her internal navigation and scanning abilities, but Zane was still worried for her. She insisted she'll be fine and the mending can be done herself. However, Zane was unscathed, some dents in his titanium chest and scratches from rolling on hard ground, but he seemed to be in perfect working condition.
    Jay would not stop talking about the encounter with the smoke monster, throwing his arms in all directions for effect. Nya was still sleeping with her head rested in his lap.
    "The jungle's corrupting us! First Cole, and now Nya! What next?" Jay spit Cole's name out like it was a disgusting mud newt. His shoulders slumped a little. He felt Ethan's hand firmly squeezing his shoulder, telling him to talk to Jay later. Cole half-heartedly smiled before returning his gaze to the flickering flames.
    The conversations died down as the ninja slept. Cole decided to climb and tree and draw, to let his mind rest in a peaceful state for once. He loved drawing. It's what helps him relax after feeling down or raise his hopes as if was actually good at something.
He glanced down at the camp. The fire lowered and seemed like it wanted to sleep itself.
    Jay was the only one awake, comfortably reading his comics while Nya slept peacefully next to him. Cole decided it was best to confront him now, when no one else was awake, where two good friends could have an almost normal conversation Cole was hoping, in private. He tucked the pencil in his belt and held the sketchbook with his teeth, gracefully and confidently climbing down the tree. He approached Jay, stepping on a stick to get his attention.
    "What do you want?" Jay asked not looking back at Cole, keeping his eyes on the colored paper. He also noticed Jay didn't use one of his famous nicknames, so he's probably still really mad.
    "Look Jay, I don't want our relationship to be like this-"
    "Then I don't wanna hear what you have to say." he interrupted.
    Cole sighed. He walked in front of Jay to take a knee and took his comic away, forcing the flustered lightning ninja to make eye contact.
    "Just hear me out okay?"
    Jay sat up, annoyed, and crossed his arms. Cole took a deep breath.
    "I know your mad," he started slowly. "and I understand why. But please Jay, I miss being buddies. I miss the days when we'd just play video games all day and leave the worries behind us but now, things are... different, complicated," Jay stopped looking into Cole's eyes and drifted elsewhere. The earth ninja took two fingers and placed them under his chin, so that his gaze wouldn't wander. "I'm sorry okay? I didn't mean for the pole to drop, I didn't mean to shut you out, I didn't mean to fall for Nya, I didn't mean any of that! I just miss you man. I miss our inside jokes, our laughters, but now you look at me and scowl."
    Cole readjusted his position so that he sat cross-legged.
    "Just please forgive me. I'm sick and tired of feeling this way."
    Jay stared at the ground for a while before looking up at Cole, a smirk on his face.
    "Dude that was deep."
    Cole blushed. He usually doesn't let the walls down but it just came out. He scratched the back of his neck.
    "Yeah, yeah don't mention it zap trap."
    Jay's eyes went to the flames and back at Cole.
    "Y'know, ever since I've known you, you always stood out to me. As a friend, a best friend, a brother. And I'll admit I do let girls cloud my vision sometimes," Cole chuckled. Jay punched him in the shoulder. "but I really should have taken a moment to think instead of acting. I wasn't worried about losing Nya, I already have her, but I was afraid it would ruin our friendship. And it did. But this time I wasn't mad at you, I was just mad at myself, for not saving Nya from the pole and not being a good friend. So I lashed out and," he sighed. "I'm sorry, too."
    Cole flashed him a smile.
    "So can we be friends again? Best buddies?" Jay asked.
    "Yeah, that'd be great."
    "Good cause' I missed messing with you and calling you the one and only nicknames I came up with."
    Cole ruffled his hair. "Yeah me too, me too."
    "I swear, when this is all behind us, we should pull an all nighter watching movies and playing video games." Jay said as he fixed his hair.
    "Oh, you're on."
    Jay made a smug look.
    "What?" Cole asked in confusion.
    "I dunno, just thinking about a certain fire ninja and you maybe getting together sometime after this mission?"
    Cole's eyes widened in embarrassment. He quickly turned to look at Kai, a dreamy expression on Cole's face.
    "Dude keep it down! And yes I'd love for that to happen."
    "Mhm. I see the way you look at him and he looks at you. You really don't notice how perfect you guys are for each other."
    Cole blushed at the thought of last night, when Kai held his hand. It was warm and soft, sending shivers down his spine.
    "Yeah, but bro I'm nervous. I don't have the guts to tell him."
    "Now you know what it felt like when I tried to propose to Nya all those times before."
    "Yeah, I do."
    Jay tapped him on the shoulder with the back of his hand. "Hey I'll tell you what. After this imma' get the others to leave you alone so you can talk it out, privately, like in the game room or something."
    Cole covered his face with his hands, muffling the words coming out of his mouth. "Oh no please don't it'll be so awkward."
    "Well how else are you gonna tell him?"
    Cole made a groaning noise. "I don't know."
    Jay patted him on the back. "That's the future. Let's just go to bed now, I'm getting tired."
    "Yeah," Cole stood up and went to his sleeping bag. Before he closed his eyes, Jay made one last comment.
    "And it's nice being best buds again."
    "Yeah, I agree."