1

A chill ran down my spine. The feeling could only be described as dread, fear... Death.

Shifting my focus to the room around me, everything sat in the right place - But I had lived this moment too many times and I knew better. My light wooden dresser against the wall near the door and the opposite side, my bay window open, sheer cream curtains slightly fluttering in the night wind. The distant rumble in the wind announcing the storm rolling in.

"Adeline" a sultry voice called. The sound sent a shiver down my spine as my heart began to thud hard in my chest. On high alert now, I drifted my eyes across the room, trying to find the source of the voice that I knew would be lurking somewhere.

It always was.

"Adeline, call out to me" his voice said again.

"Who are you?" I whispered.

"You know my name, so call it" he replied.

"I don't know it... Who are you?" I said again glancing around the room, seeking the shadows I knew were always lurking here, always lingering in the darkness. At least this time I felt a little safer, not in deep drowning water, or being licked by scorching flames and heat... It was then I noticed them.

Two orbs in the darkest corner of the room. I could not see his face, or any part of him for that matter. It was always only the eyes. The amber glow illuminated against the dark shadows.

"Say it" his voice called again. "Call my name, I will find you", his voice reverberated around me at the same time lightning struck outside and the rain began to fall heavily against the roof. The thunder rumbled in the distance, closing in.

"What is your name?" I demanded, the need to know gnawed deep in me. Then, as quiet as a whisper against my ear, he whispered.

"I can always find in your dreams Adeline. I can feel your heartbeat and like always calls to like. Call my name and I will come to you" he replied. My instincts screamed at me to run, to get away from whoever this was. This was dangerous, and my subconscious cried out at me, a warning that drifted away as quickly as it came.

"Please... what's your name?" I begged again, the feeling in my chest growing stronger with each passing moment. Somehow, I knew him, I could feel it – That part of me calling for him that longed for him, but the pieces were not forming in my mind.

"Lucifer" he answered, lightning struck again just above the roof, followed by the shockwave of the thunder rattling the windows.

"I will find you" he said, his velvet voice fiercer this time. It felt his invisible fingers as they grazed over my legs, the feather light touch gliding up, over my thighs and across my stomach, up to my neck. My body felt as if it were on fire. Breathing in heavily, the room smelt strongly of earth entwined with wisps of smoke. The intangible fingers tightened around my throat in a firm grasp.

"Say it" he said again, and I opened my mouth to utter the name that tingled across my lips...

My eyes flew open as I shot up, one hand held over my chest. My heartbeat pounded through me, and I felt like I had run miles without stopping. My breathing came out in ragged gasps as I inhaled sharply through my nose, willing my pulse to calm. My skin felt hot, like the blazing heat of flames had kissed it. Warily, I glanced around the room, looking for the man in my dreams. There was no sign of anyone being here at all, but somehow, I could still feel his presence.

"Stupid dreams" I muttered to myself. Glancing at the window, moonlight streaming across the glass, reflecting into the room and across the wooden floorboards. It could not be more than four in the morning. Stretching out, I sighed as I slid out of bed and into the bathroom. I had been having the same dream for months. Always in different places, some familiar and some I had never seen before. Sometimes the dreams came softly, in the meadow against the setting afternoon sun, breeze stirring my hair softly... But sometimes, the dreams came hard and fast, shadows chasing me through the forest and leaving me downright terrified. No matter what, every night - whether it be a dream or a nightmare – He still came without fail.