18

I didn't acknowledge him. I didn't look at him, and I knew the silence was loud enough to deafen us. Rolling away from him, I held my back to him as I pulled my knees to my chest.

"Adeline, I know you're upset" he said, "but we need to talk about this" he finished, a silence fell over us. I made no move to turn and face him, and he did not force me. After an eternity of silence, Lucifer sighed. I felt his energy wrap around me and lift me out of the bed. I made no effort to move on my own. If he wanted to shift me, he could do it himself.

"we can do this the easy way, or the hard way, Adeline. I don't mind which you choose" he said. Holding me mid-air, I purposely kept my eyes away from him, my jaw locked tightly. Standing up, Lucifer lazily strolled to the bathroom, pulling me along with him. Reaching over, he turned the shower on and turned to face me again.

"I will not hesitate to put you under here Adeline" he said, pulling me closer to the running water. Turning my attention to him for the first time, I glared at him, desperately wanting to scream at him hit him, but I didn't have the energy. Turning his hand slightly, he shifted my body under the water, and I gasped at the coldness

He reached over and turned the setting to warm, but I was already completely inundated under the showers stream, it had soaked through my clothing. Lucifer released his ability over me, expecting me to step out, but instead I stood there, the water soaking me completely, and I never pulled my eyes away from him. He stepped under the shower, his black shirt soaking through and clinging to his body. He gripped my arms and pulled me to him, holding me tightly against his chest.

His hair was drenched and clung to his forehead. Slowly he brought his lips to my forehead for the first time in weeks, and the tether between us tightened painfully. I didn't realize I was crying until he reached over to wipe the tears away. He pulled me closer to his chest, rubbing my back to try and soothe me. Pulling back from me, his thumbs wiped away the stream of tears. He teleported to my old quarters and dried me off, before helping me dress into a thin nightgown before finally tucking us both into bed. We laid in silence before I spoke, my voice husky from crying.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" I asked him.

"I needed to try and figure out what to do, what my next steps should be without being clouded by judgement" he replied, his fingers running up and down my spine.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"I needed to have a logical plan without you influencing me" he replied. I knew that he needed to think about things, and I understood. In fact it was all I could think about for days. Sitting up, I turned to face him.

"Luc, I have been thinking. I've been thinking about this for the last few days, and I've assessed it from every angle. You and I are soulmates. We were destined to find each other right?" I paused, taking a deep breath before continuing.

"I want to rule beside you, but I need you to trust me. I need you to talk to me about your problems, even when they involve me" I finished.

Lucifer sat up, his eyes completely black and his jaw tight.

"Adeline, I will not allow you to die. Your life is at risk, and this war will come either way" he said, his hands coming up to grip the sides of my face. Pulling away, I laid down again.

"I knew you would say that" I muttered to myself.

"Let me explain why, Adeline. If Hades were successful in killing you, our connection will be lost, and I would lose any part of goodness left. We are tethered together only by our souls being a part of each other" he said, brushing his hand through my damp hair.