10

Watching Lucifer as I fell was a surreal experience. He had such a determined look on his face that I feared he had changed his mind... He wanted me out of the way. He wanted me dead. I didn't scream, I simply kept my eyes on him until he faded away. The wind rushing through my hair and past my body as gravity dragged me closer and closer to the rocky edge. I closed my eyes and thought of home. My bed, my grandmother. How I missed her so much. Her cooking and her singing. It made my heart hurt. Mid thought, my body hit something... Soft? I waited for the pain, the blood, the death. I opened one eye to see nothing but the darkness at first. My vision started to clear, and I finally noticed I was glancing up at my bedroom ceiling.

Jolting up, I was back home in my room except it wasn't how I'd left it. Everything normally neatly tucked away in its place was askew. Drawers to my dresser had been ripped open, personal belongings and drawings scattered across the floor. There were no lights on, and immediately something felt wrong. Climbing off of the bed, I carefully tiptoed over to my bedroom door. Something sparkled in the moonlight from the windowsill, and I reached down to touch it. The necklace belonged to my grandmother. A small silver pendant, the shape of angels wings dangled softly from my fingers. I brushed my hair out of the way and put the necklace on. Brushing my fingers against it, I took a deep breath.

I could hear voices from downstairs. Cracking open the door slightly, the voices became clearer.

"—broke his neck in front of us! Demitri is dead, but we managed to get away" the male voice said.

"Stupid bitch called his name. After all these years we had her in our grasp, and she had to fucking call to him" another male voice spat.

"Shut up you fools! I mean honestly, you're sent to do one fucking job and you can't even do that right. I gave you all the information you needed to capture her, and you still failed in doing so" a female voice spoke this time.

"We're sorry" "so sorry" the two males spoke simultaneously.

"He has her now, and he may believe she is under his protection, he fails to realise the danger he has put her in" the female spoke again. "Soon she will be ours and once she is, we will have the upper hand. He will give anything to have her" she laughed.

Stepping out of the room, I tiptoed my way to the edge of the stairway, thankful that there were no lights upstairs. The lights were on in the living room and I could see the two males, both of which I recognised from the night I'd been captured. A violent shudder ran through me at the thought of what might happen if they discovered me here. I tried to see who the female was, but before I could really get a good look, one of the males spoke.

"I don't know how we will manage to find her to be —" the female cut him off.

"I don't care for excuses, you'll either bring her to me, or I'll bring you back to the pits where he found you. Is that where you'd rather be?" She sneered, as the men both visibly flinched.

Stepping back, I placed my hand over my heart, desperate to find the tether. I couldn't feel anything. I realized that he must have truly wanted to kill me. I crept back into my bedroom, quickly changing out of the oversized shirt and pants and into a black cotton shirt and dark green pants, sliding on my brown boots and reaching for my spare cloak.

I packed a satchel with some of the untouched brews Thea had made for me. Reaching into a compartment hidden in my dresser, I gripped a small hunting dagger in my fist before tucking it into my boot. Shoving in some spare clothes, I made my way over to the window and cracked it open quietly, just enough to slide out and climb down the roof. Landing in the flowerbed beneath the window with a soft thud, I pressed myself up against the wall of the house, waiting for any sign I'd been caught.