Chapter seven

Return:/ to come or go to a place again

"What are you guys doing?"

I stopped outside Jesse's door as a horde of nurses and the doctor rushed in and out of her room. They slammed the door shut everyone grabbing or passing something over her body. My bags fell from my hand and my feet suddenly gave way. I

She's gonna be okay, she's gonna be okay, she's gonna be okay

My eyes were glued to the closed door and even though the hall way was busy with doctors and patients running all over the place, I could hear their calls for every instrument to keep her alive through the door. I wanted to move but my body refused, zapped of life as if I was infected with some paralyzing gas. Transfixed, I fell apart when they emerged slowly everyone avoiding my eyes but at the same time telling me their efforts weren't enough. Someone pulled me up from behind but I didn't have the strength to stand on the noodles I had beneath me. I settled into the chair next to the door and held down my head for a few moments sobbing.

"Miss Mckenzie?"

I felt a knot form in my stomach immediately hearing my name and I dreaded what would come next. I started to heave unable to breathe for the life of me and he bent down trying to assess my situation, beads of sweat immediately ran down my temples as I thought about maverick.

"Her situation..."

I started to cry even more breaking down before him unable to keep back the tears.

"I'm sorry" he finally finished.

"How could she go like that? I was just here last night, she was fine. Laughing even" I said trying to dry my eyes but they poured just the same.

"There were some complications early this morning with her breathing, the infection worsened and unfortunately the bacteria had entered her blood stream"and

"Oh my gosh! " I gasped my body trembling at his explanation. "Is it because we played together because I tickled her yesterday and maybe it was dirt from my clothes..."

My brain was firing in every direction trying to come up with a probable explanation than what he had given me. Jesse couldn't be gone. Dead, she just couldn't be. I promised to take her home! I promised maverick to take care of her!

I rocked silently in my chair my hand against my mouth crying just trying to understand what went wrong. She was getting better, they said so. She was only there for observation. Did they lie to us about her condition?
He stood up placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "she isn't dead because of you, I'm surprised myself at how fast everything took place. This is a really peculiar case. I'm sorry for your loss"

I went home crawling slowly through my door holding her toy in my hand. The blue bear that she loved so very much. And when the door slid shut behind me I collapsed into the carpet. I couldn't breathe, my head hurt and my chest tightened. My clothes were soaked from sweating and crying. What was I going to tell her dad when he got home or worst when he called? How am I going to tell him he lost his world? He didn't even get to say goodbye? I sniffled taking out my phone and tried to dial his number but my tears kept smearing the screen of the phone.

"Kenzy, hello?"

His exhausted voice came muffled over the phone as if I had just woken him from sleep.

"Kenzy?"

I sobbed, and then started to cry.

"Kenzy, what's wrong? What's wrong with Jesse?"

I cried harder unable to come up with words to speak.

"What's wrong with Jesse?"

"She's gone maverick" I groaned. "She's gone"

He fell silent.

"She's gone?"

"Yes" I whispered, "I'm sorry. So sorry"

I heard something crash in his background and what sounded like his fists against something hard.

"I'm sorry I repeated. She was fine when I saw her last night and then when I got back-"

"It's not your fault Kendall. Get some sleep"

He hung up.

______________________________

author's notes: this scene was a took a piece of my heart reminding me of a friend I lost when I was growing up. despite that I know that truly her memory will continue in our hearts<3<3<3