Chapter twenty eight

"You kids going to be okay?" Called Mr. Henderson as he walked towards his car

"Yeah we're fine" I replied as he waved back and drove off.

We were finished by one in the afternoon, with ziploc's helped we got a lot more done than between both of us. She went off to the edge of the boardwalk I noticed as I closed the door to the lake watching the water and throwing pebbles at it. From where I stood, she looked like a little child with her cropped hair but experience reminded me she wasn't. I had started to admittedly enjoy her company, a fact I'd never utter out aloud, not to her hearing and especially not in Brian's. But I did, especially since as of yesterday I realised there was nothing I could do to get rid of her overall.

I thought she'd walk away when she learnt I was seeing someone, the dimming of her eyes told me that information didn't bode well with her, instead she surprised me by claiming some strange friendship between us and for once I couldn't allow my ass of a self to get away with hurting her feelings. I hated that feeling and though one part was slightly content with the change of events, the other was deeply disturbed.

I haven't heard from Gale since our last conversation. She hasn't called or texted and I didn't attempt to either. We were both grown, I trusted her word as much as she could trust mine. She'll get here, I don't know when, how or why and I was starting not to care and if it worked out to be before the ending of July he'd have my full attention; anytime after, I was done. I informed Lucy she didn't need to worry anymore, if I didn't she'd worry about us until she felt like we were going to be fine or was fine.

One of the reasons why I felt leaving home without gale wouldn't be as bad as I'd felt after but maybe I was wrong. Could've, would've, should've but didn't. No one else understood the need for me to leave home more than Gale. My father wasn't the type to box us in, I wasn't a girl so he never felt the need to be protective of me as long as I called to keep my mother alive because she would definitely worry; he however, didn't give a damn were we went. I called occasionally, okay being honest maybe every other month or maybe holidays or when she actually called. They knew I wasn't going to call everyday. I was still the same annoying Andrew they all loved and hated.

Ziploc stared at me only blinking about three times in the last five minutes. The stones in her hands were gone so now I had become the center of attention.

"What?"

She shook her head. "Nothing"

I started back towards the van in hopes she'd follow, when I didn't hear her tiny footsteps behind I looked back. Kenzy was still sitting at the edge dabbing her feet in the water staring out.

"You hungry? I'm going for lunch"

"Not really"

She didn't move a inch just continued to swing her feet like a child, too much like a child. I walked back and pulled her up by the arm catching a glimpse of her hazel eyes as she stared up at me in surprise.

"Lets have fun" I grimaced saying it. "On my account"

If you intended to have excitement, Bahiea bay wasn't the town to choose. For one it was too far out of touch with modern society, we had cinemas, bars, chuches, municipalities but as far as the "fun" went, the lake and the small beach side was all we had. That said the lake with all its appeal disappeared into almost folklore in less than a year after I moved here.

We ate at a small cafe only a few shops down from my garage with the intention of heading over after we were through, I didn't know what plans Ziploc had for after and I didn't take the initiative to ask. I figured if she was being this quiet, I should be grateful.