Chapter twenty three

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to feel some attraction with ziploc. The way she talks and laughs or how she quickly shifts from being impulsive to ardently shy. The open possibility of me developing feelings towards her that passed the borderline of friendship was frightening. It scared me because I wasn't supposed to think, feel or want anything remotely resembling that, yet everyday, I felt something else grow. I also felt guilty because I still loved gale, I wanted her and I still held strong to the promise of being with her for as long as my life lasted. I wouldn't cheat and I didn't have the intention to either. But I knew what I was feeling, every day that drew to a close our relationship was slipping further and further away and while I would like to think I could trust her; she wasn't giving me much to work with.

"Hey andrew. Good morning"

"Mr. Henderson" I replied eying the little terrier who had made his way around his owners feet.

I was just stepping out to start my run, hopefully with the luck of having a better day than yesterday. I walked over to his side of the lawn as my neighbor waved me over.

"You mind giving me a drop to the boat house? " the old man asked.

"Well I wasn't planning on taking a drive right now" I replied.

"I see you running most mornings but uh, the wife took the car yesterday to visit her sister" he explained.

Mrs. Henderson wasn't home?  I hadn't noticed.

"I'll be back in about an hour can you wait until then?"
Mr. Henderson shook his gray head exercising his fingers and threw his dog the ball the little furball had been waiting on the entire time.

"No. I'm actually planning on doing some work. The earlier I start the better" he explained . "I'd walk myself but the load's too heavy to walk with everything"

" Okay" I replied realising that my run was delayed yet another day. "Just give me a moment".

I grabbed the last box of equipment from the trunk and walked back to the shed glancing at the immobile water that layed at the end of the board walk. She'd need a chair to continue writing just in case the sun was too hot or the rain started again like the last time. We could leave it at the door so she'd always have access to it or I could very well just leave the shed open in the mornings once I got here.

" Whats all this about suddenly " I asked placing down the box next to the others.

The old man smiled up at me just like his wife usually did when she was up to something. The couple reminded me of my own parents, only I left them at home just to have them reincarnated in these two.

"I'm thinking of adding another part to the shed for visitors also the awning needs to be replaced. Gotta do that before summer ends. And the tourist season is picking up too"

"If you get the awning you'd be putting up I could always help out with that part" I replied.

He patted me on the shoulder as he went to shift through another box.

"There wasn't any canoe race this festival weekend why?"

He shrugged. "The lake is like the forgotten realm of this town. Folks forget it's a main attraction"

I leaned against the beam staring into the lake recalling kenzy's enthusiasm when I first brought her here.

"I think it's a great way to get it used again. Having a hike and picnic after is great too"

Gale and I always did that whenever she came home. We watched the sunset from the lake then hiked the trail into the mountain to watch the stars. It's what we enjoyed. It was a great rebreif for her mostly since she was constantly either around sick people or stuck in a building with four walls surrounding her.