Chapter 3

Sunlight peered through the old apartment curtains, lighting up my room with an early smile. I flew over my bed, excited and nervous to start my first day of college. I had waited so long for this day. I had planned everything out to make sure it went perfectly, and nothing could ruin it.

The smile on my face never faded from the moment I showered to when I dressed and brushed my hair down to my shoulders.

I gathered my already-packed bag and soared down the stairs of the building complex. I pushed open the doors and crossed the street after looking both ways. After only being here a few days, I had noticed that my street was filled with other college students going in and out of places which meant a lot of traffic.

I got the keys to unlock my car while checking any message from my mother, pulling the rusty door open to see the single voicemail that was left last night, hours after I had gone to sleep. My finger slid it open not recognising the number.

"Emma it's Myra! I called you so many times but you never answered! I'm staying at Lars' apartment and I wanted to let you know so you don't freak out. I also left my phone in your car so I'm calling from his phone! Anyways, I'll see you soon!" She yelled over loud music and ended the message.

I quickly dial back the number hearing it ring for a long while before it picked up.

"Hello?" Lars' familiar voice spoke through the line, low and husky like he had just woken up.

"Lars, hi it's Emma, Myra's roommate."

"Oh, hi." He sounded more alert.

"Myra told me she'd be with you, is she okay?"

"She had a lot to drink but she's fine and still sleeping." He shuffled around in the line. "Look, she needs to get to class and I can't take her because of my early shift at work. If it's not too much of a bother, do you think you could pick her up?"

I didn't exactly expect to be picking up a hung-over roommate today, but after she had been so nice with me and helped me move, I saw it only as fair to return the favour.

"I'll pick her up, there's no problem." I smile, even though he couldn't see it.

"Cool thank you, I'll text you the address. Let me know if there's anything else."

Seconds after the call ended, I got the address from Lars. I put the directions into my phone's GPS, and I was glad to see it was only a few minutes away.

I set off in my modest car and followed the blue lines of the screen to an apartment complex closer to the richer part of Berkeley. I walked up the slim pavement and knocked on apartment fourteen like Lars had asked me to do.

It didn't take long for his tall and broad figure to fill the frame and invite me inside with a half smile.

"Thanks for coming," He greeted me. "Coffee?"

"Um, sure. If it's not too much of a hassle." I answer him shyly.

"Not at all. Myra should be up soon." I watched as he poured the hot black liquid in two separate mugs, the steam fading away when it reached his face. "Do you like it black?"

I nod with an appreciative smile even though I felt a little uncomfortable being in my roommate's boyfriend's apartment.

I look around at the decorative furniture. Posters of a few bands hung above the black living room couch, the walls all white and cables scattered along the cold floors. "You have a nice place," I tell him.

"Elijah doesn't agree," He chuckled. "I had to practically beg him to let me put those posters there." He nods over at the living room posters.

"Is that your roommate?"